RTH Speed vs Manual speed
1304 12 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
toradzex
New

Georgia

Hello!

Today did a new range record with my P3A on stock antennas - 4.2km. Had some heart racing and 26% landing battery. Open field. No buildings no people.

When achieved 4.2km i pressed RTH and drone started coming back. On average the speed was around 10m/s. Which was enough to make it home. But i had the feeling that it would be home on a very low % battery due to wind. But i was still calm. Cause i knew it would make it.

But somewhere during coming back i pushed the right stick forward and the speed went drastically up. Around 13-14m/s. Which won me time and landing  battery %26. But i noticed that during that voltage was yellow color.

So my question is, when on a low battery and coming home, but manually not rth, what are the cons and pros? And what is more recommended to use?

Thank you!
2016-10-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RTH is a slow driver at 10 m/sec in still air.
If you are in a low battery situation or struggling with a strong headwind, 10 m/sec is not what you want.
You will do much better driving at 15 m/s still air speed) rather than going slowly and maybe not making it home at all.
2016-10-30
Use props
toradzex
New

Georgia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-30 16:49
If you are in a low battery situation or struggling w ...

Yes, but what about voltage going yellow on already low battery? Thats my main concern
2016-10-30
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-30 08:49
If you are in a low battery situation or struggling w ...

As ladroides said, you can "override" the RTH speed, which doesn't affect the RTH functionality or mode.  26% is low, but unless it's an old battery with a "memory", you had plenty left.  I normally fly my drone till it won't fly anymore, which is around 8%....I do this to drain it all the way down.  I also do this about 2 feet off the ground and in a field behind my house, or just let it hover a foot off the ground until it lands itself.  Then, it won't fly anymore.  I've had plenty of flights where I've come home with low battery...The drone will calculate what it needs (with a safe margin) to get back.  But, you can of course, speed it up if you are concerned.  I certainly wouldn't fly any distance away with less than about 18%, and that is cutting it close.  Also, depends where you are flying, height, objects around and etc.  I use mine to exercise my dog and he chases it while 5-6 feet off the ground and it's not unusual for me to fly around 10-15%, but I keep a very close eye on it.  It will automatically land when the batter is about done.

I cannot answer your voltage question.  Sorry.
2016-10-30
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Not quite sure what your asking.
Battery Voltage will be drained the more you use it. ie, rth speed 10ms and battery showing GREEN, then you push the stick forward using more voltage to drive the motors, it will go to yellow dependant on your battery settings.
I set my Low battery setting at 30% with my Critical at 15%. I will always be quite near at 30% so i have enough time to return.
My battery will be Green before 30%, below 30% Yellow and at 15% they will show Red.
2016-10-30
Use props
t2adze
lvl.1

Georgia

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-10-30 20:13
Not quite sure what your asking.
Battery Voltage will be drained the more you use it. ie, rth speed  ...

Question is
Which is safer, pushing right stick and travelling with 14m/s with yellow voltage

or trusting RTH 10ms with green voltage?
2016-10-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

t2adze Posted at 2016-10-31 09:56
Question is
Which is safer, pushing right stick and travelling with 14m/s with yellow voltage

It depends upon whether you are fighting wind or not. The 'normal' RTH speed is chosen to maximise the distance it will fly under windless conditions and a givewn battery capacity. But as Labroides says, if you are facing winds, then it is better to speed it up a bit.
2016-10-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It also depends on the condition of your battery.  Older batteries have a tendency to drop voltage when pushed, in which case, you would do better to go slower and milk it for all it's worth.
2016-10-30
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2289144 ft
Australia

t2adze Posted at 2016-10-31 09:56
Question is

I do it often to get home and travel for 5 or 6 minutes with battery voltage in yellow. Never seemed to have any issues. Battery is pretty warm when I removed it but thats to be expected and lipos like a bit of heat!
I wouldn't be concerned until you batterys overall life starts fading away, under 90%. Then I might start to take it a bit easy coming home. The app will limit power to motors to avoid an overdrain so go for it!!
2016-10-31
Use props
fans6bd2fb2d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-30 09:10
As ladroides said, you can "override" the RTH speed, which doesn't affect the RTH functionality or  ...

I have a question about your mom? "I also do this about 2 feet off the ground and in a field behind my mom, or just let it hover a foot off the ground until it lands itself." Does you mom usually let you fly behind her in the field? LOL
2016-10-31
Use props
toradzex
New

Georgia

thegaz99 Posted at 2016-10-31 12:19
I do it often to get home and travel for 5 or 6 minutes with battery voltage in yellow. Never seem ...

Cause i usually stop pushing sticks when yhe voltage becomes yellow. So as i understand its ok?
2016-10-31
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2
United States

fans6bd2fb2d Posted at 2016-10-31 08:06
I have a question about your mom? "I also do this about 2 feet off the ground and in a field behin ...

Typo....Sorry....stupid computer auto correct.  2 feet off the field until it lands itself.  

My apologies.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-11-6 09:31
Typo....Sorry....stupid computer auto correct.  2 feet off the field until it lands itself.  

My  ...

I;ve noticed the yellow reading when I push her hard too, but back off a bit & reading normally goes back to green. I think its just telling you that your pushing the battery hard, & backing off will give you more air time. I don't think your doing any harm or have to worry, as long as your overall readings don't show critical battery levels. Mind you, I don't push it , like, coming home with 25% battery, & your getting the low battery warnings,  take it easy.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules