Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Tricks - Using a Tablet With Your Mavic Pro
11303 22 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneValley
New

United States

I discovered an easy way of using an iPad mini with the Mavic controller without needing an adapter. There are also a few other tips and tricks in the video below. I hope you find this helpful. Rick

https://youtu.be/KbHo3i-s7N8

2016-10-30
Use props
andersonn
lvl.1

United States

Probably a stupid question, but I couldn't seem to find anything in the FAQ for the Mavic, can you use the original IPad mini?  Or does the DJI Go app not work with that old of an IPad?  
2016-10-30
Use props
stealle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Yes, this is good information that forum member JakeS already pointed out here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-67849-1-1.html

At this point I see know reason why anyone would want to use a tablet adapter when it seems to work great without... unless I find the need to use a sun shield.
2016-10-30
Use props
stealle
lvl.4
United States

andersonn Posted at 2016-10-30 15:08
Probably a stupid question, but I couldn't seem to find anything in the FAQ for the Mavic, can you u ...

I'm not exactly sure where to find the official specs for the DJIGo app, but after reading extensively in some of the forums I do not believe the original iPad mini will work.  I have read the iPad mini 2 and newer work great. Here is a list that might help. https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a few flights now with the iPad mini and I will say I love it it doesn't feel clumsy or two large or unbalanced in my hands. I am looking to get a right angle connector for it but since apparently no one in Alaska stocks those I have to wait until I can get one from Amazon
2016-10-30
Use props
stealle
lvl.4
United States

JakeS Posted at 2016-10-30 15:46
I have a few flights now with the iPad mini and I will say I love it it doesn't feel clumsy or two l ...

I can't find a short (1-2 foot) 90 degree angle cable. Got a link to what you found?
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I haven't been able to find any that are about 1foot either. The one I have coming is this one: Right Angle Charge & Sync Lightning Cable (1-meter/3-foot) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HUV1ZME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ENLfybBXWKX6M

I'll be watching for a 1 foot 90 in the future though.
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The other solution I found is this 10 Pack Lightning Cables for Griffin MultiDock 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBCDF0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CRLfybDWDY1M4 but I don't need 10 lol and I can justify 100.00 for one

If enough people are interested I'll get the pack and for 10.00 plus postage I'll mail one to you.
2016-10-30
Use props
phatee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

JakeS Posted at 2016-10-30 16:46
The other solution I found is this 10 Pack Lightning Cables for Griffin MultiDock 2 https://www.amaz ...

hey jake.  i saw this one also and was wondering if this cable is long enough for an ipad mini 4.  the specs say it's 3.1 inches long.  Mind taking a measure measurement?  If you think it can reach, I'm down to chip in with the order.

2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

3 inches is one of the packaging dimensions. I read through the Q&A and they state the cable length is 11 inches which would be perfect. When I get home today I'll double check the length needed.
2016-10-30
Use props
agzela
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I got home and measured and 8" would be perfect to go from the usb port on the bottom to the ipad mini
2016-10-30
Use props
phatee
Second Officer
United States

JakeS Posted at 2016-10-31 00:33
I got home and measured and 8" would be perfect to go from the usb port on the bottom to the ipad mi ...

sweet.  well if you happen to order it let me know and i'll send you the money.
2016-10-30
Use props
JakeS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Will do. Is anyone else interested?
2016-10-30
Use props
phatee
Second Officer
United States

on ebay the there's the same 10 pack going for $45

edit: nvm, they are usb cables.
2016-10-30
Use props
zach5150
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225148 ft
United States

I saw Jake's video as well as Rick's from Drone Valley and it got me thinking. What if you inserted the tablet into the controller in the vertical/Portrait orientation?  I think iPad Mini as well as many 7-8" Android tablets would fit pretty well like this. Also, if you inserted it upside down it might 'protect' the lightning or micro USB connector on the tablet as well. (need to test to see if the connectors would fit without interferring with each other)

To make this work, DJI would need to update the app to work in (upside down) portrait mode for Android and iOS. The net effect is you would get a lot more real estate for the video feed without the need for 3D printed wonky add ons, the need for a 90 degree cable (in the case of wedging in it like Jake and Rick discovered), and ultimately it would be a more comfortable grip.

DJI would need to reimagine and redesign the UI for Portrait mode. For instance, a lot of the on screen display information that is currently 'embedded' over the video could be moved to it's own section above (or below) the video feed, leaving the video feed with uncluttered pure video. Imagine the tablet in portrait mode with an upper and lower section. The lower section could be for the 16x9 ratio video feed that is native in landscape mode and the upper portion could be the control dashboard. DJI could effectively say this supports 7-8" tablets natively with a simple update to their app!

What do y'all think?

(Disclaimer: I don't have my Mavic yet, so I'm making an educated guess on how it would fit and feel but nothing beats actual testing.)
2016-10-30
Use props
s.judge
lvl.1

New Zealand

do you need an internet connection though ?
i only have a ipad mini 3 with wifi ...
I suppose you could make your phone a hotspot and connect the ipad mini to it by wifi ?
Would that work ? I don't have my mavic yet to try it
2016-10-30
Use props
sailinghappysil
lvl.1

United States

http://wittyseller.com/shop/elec ... rminiipod-nanogray/
2016-10-31
Use props
Big Daddy Davee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3963 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if the Nvidia Shield K1 fits in the controller using this method? I think it is a little wider than an iPad mini.
2017-1-2
Use props
Alabast
New

Switzerland

To make the Nvidia Shield fit, you have to cut away some plastic on the controller, so that the clamp arms can swivel out further. The only problem is that the clamp will cover the sport mode switch, which is harder to reach then. Aside from that its working fine for me.
2017-1-2
Use props
Big Daddy Davee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3963 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. I think that I will need to look for an alternative solution if I am going to use the Shield. I'll just continue to use the Shield with the Phantom and may have to get an iPhone 6 or a Mini in that case.
2017-1-2
Use props
Alabast
New

Switzerland

Look here around 24:00 for an alternativ solution. Of course you can always opt for a "normal" tablet holder but they are normally quite big...

2017-1-2
Use props
Michael Linder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37740 ft
United States

Nice idea, but it doesn't work with an iPad pro, and buying another, smaller tablet just for Mavic isn't a solution. Trashing those who make adapters is unhelpful negativity.
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules