A quick question: Upgrading to Osmo Mobile
1248 2 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Godzira
lvl.2
United States

Hey all,
I bought Osmo almost a year back, and have been using it on a weekly basis if not more.
I'm just an amateur, but I really love my Osmo. The only thing I dislike about it is the time it takes to set it up.
It's cumbersome, very cumbersome.

I understand that with Osmo mobile, I have an option to use their mobile app, or just use my phone's (i7+) camera app, or other app to that matter.
My questions:
1. If I use Osmo app (love their features), does it still take a while to connect? Did they streamline it?
2. Does Osmo app still use wifi to connect? (require me to go to wifi setting to change?)
3. If I use my camera phone app, does the connection happens instantly (my BT is on all the time) once I turn on my Osmo?

Also another question:
4. I bought 5 extra batteries and a tripod, do original Osmo's accessories play nice with the new Osmo mobile?

Thanks all

2016-10-30
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

osmo mobile uses bluetooth to connect n it's much more faster..batteries and tripod can be used on the osmo mobile..that's so far what i know
2016-10-30
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

Bluetooth is used with the DJI Go app however you don't even need the Bluetooth if you're using the stock camera app, as soon as you power on the Osmo Mobile it stabilizes instantly. The caveat is that if you use the stock camera app, even with a Bluetooth connection, you can't use the buttons on the Osmo Mobile handle which is ridiculous because any $20 selfie stick can control my camera with Bluetooth?! I mainly use the stock camera app because the DJI Go app is pretty worthless (no manual camera settings, low quality panos, hunting focus, etc.) for anything more than calibrating the gimbal IMO. Plus the DJI App takes a few extra seconds to start up, especially since it makes you click off of some bull shit splash screen every time it starts. I leave the phone Bluetooth on because I find myself periodically running the DJI Go app because, just like the original Osmo, the Osmo Mobile loses it's horizonal and needs to be calibrated every so often.
Tripod, accessory stick and batteries are the same. I kept the extra battery I had purchased when I sold my original Osmo but I haven't had to even use the second battery yet because battery on the Osmo Mobile lasts so long. See for yourself but you'll probably end up selling a few of your batteries because you won't need them! Earlier this month I hiked for 9 hours in Hawaii and took about 40 gigs of 4k video, mostly 20 second or less clips and some several minutes but never had to charge my Note 7 (in airplane mode with Bluetooth on) or the Osmo Mobile. I would power down the Osmo Mobile and turn off the phone screen between shots and then when I wanted to record I'd just double tap my home button to start the camera app and flick the Osmo Mobile switch and be ready to shoot in about 2 seconds. Here's a video from one of my hikes

2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules