Mavic landing feet tip
3008 17 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

I noticed that my Mavic's landing feet (two front and two rear plastic feet that touches the ground) are getting scratched up and having abrasions due to take off and landing.

What I did to prevent that from happening again: I coated the very base of the landing feet with 5 layers of plastidip. Still thin. At least it can be peeled and renew application if they get banged up too.
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good tip.. Might do that too..

The feet are removable so hopefully when DJI have sorted supply of a complete Mavic, they will have some for sale
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Sploodge Posted at 2016-10-31 09:59
Good tip.. Might do that too..

The feet are removable so hopefully when DJI have sorted supply of a ...

First thing i did when receiving my (somehow related) Bebop was also to protect the "feet".
I giess it will be just a few days when Landing Gear extensions will be up on Thingiverse.
Otherwise we will have to think for ourselves even if not used to it :-)

Nils

P.S. now i always "hand catch" my Bebops but Mavic is slightly harder to catch i imagine and the Props will hurt more, so i gotta wear those welding gloves at first (also helpful with the cat :-) )
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-10-31 09:14
First thing i did when receiving my (somehow related) Bebop was also to protect the "feet".
I giess ...

Catch the Mavic from the front, you don't disturb the bottom sensors that way..
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

Sploodge Posted at 2016-10-31 10:22
Catch the Mavic from the front, you don't disturb the bottom sensors that way..

Thanks for the tip. Bebop is very generous with the bottom sensors.
So i take it the Mavic jumps if i try to grab from the bottom ?
But arent there also Front vision sensors ?
I *thought* it would be best to try it from behind.

But i will take your advice when i try it the first time (AND my gloves)

Nils
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-10-31 10:05
Thanks for the tip. Bebop is very generous with the bottom sensors.
So i take it the Mavic jumps i ...

It does not "jump" when trying to catch from behind, rather it starts rising slowly when it senses your hand in the way.

The front sensors detect an obstacle and the App will note this and start beeping but since the mavic is not moving or in Tap-Fy / RTH it does not try and avoid the object.

Hand catching the Mavic is definitely not for the risk averse ( same as the Inspire hand catching )
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

Sploodge Posted at 2016-10-31 11:12
It does not "jump" when trying to catch from behind, rather it starts rising slowly when it senses ...

Opps, sorry for that, BUT what to do after catching ?
For the bebop i simply turn it to > 90 degrees and the Firmware will switch off the motors automatically because it senses that there is something wrong ("max angle exceeded").
Is there something similar on the Mavic or do i have to press the power button on the battery or some kind of emergency OFF on the remote/App ?

Oh man i should have opened another thread for that but now its too late, SORRY OP !
Will shut up soon after this...

Nils
2016-10-31
Use props
copilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

I heard there are aerials in the front feet? Has it affected range etc?? Did I hear right about the aerials there? Thanks :-)
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-10-31 10:49
For the bebop i simply turn it to > 90 degree ...

Hold the left stick down until the motors stop ( don't try and move the mavic until the motors stop, just hold it in its place ).
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-10-31 18:49
For the bebop i simply turn it to > 90 degree ...

That sounds scary. Imagine a huge gust of wind, and the unit thinks it flipped over. Or, it hits an object which tilts it, and then it just shuts off midair. Yikes!
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

Nice idea, No Man's Drone!
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-31 11:56
That sounds scary. Imagine a huge gust of wind, and the unit thinks it flipped over. Or, it hits a ...

Kevin, its exactly done to protect humans / animals / property BESIDE the drone.
If the Bee hits you and either the motor current spikes drastically OR the angle changes in said way motors will not just be turned off, they BRAKE with all possible force.
In my book that is extremely smart and i can only hope the Mavic learned from that.
Of course like always it would be nice to have that as an option if you disagree with it.

And the first Firmware (talking about f*ckups) did this with 60 degree and guess what fell out of the sky when i was flying in serious wind ;-) They changed that and i yet have to see a wind that turns the bee to a > 90 degree angle.
(And i played with the Bebop in 100 km/h + Winds, always going down when it was blown aways too far. SImplay for fun.)

So i am fine with that and like i said it helpd with catching and turning of the motor in ANY situation including a Copter malfunktion.
I once simply kicked it out of the Air in emergency...

So i take it form your answer that the Mavic has no emergency precautions to switch off the motors ?!

Nils
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-10-31 19:24
Kevin, its exactly done to protect humans / animals / property BESIDE the drone.
If the Bee hits yo ...

So with DJI drones, this is called CSC (Combined Stick Command). With Phantom 3 and previous, and Inspire 1, the CSC was both sticks aimed downward and inward. This would immediately shut off the motors, or it would also start the motors.

(I killed my first Inspire by accidentally triggering this -- I had forgotten about CSC -- a costly mistake)

For Phantom 4 it was one stick plus pressing a button (RTH I believe).

Mavic is similar -- taken directly from the Mavic manual:
https___dl_djicdn_com_downloads_mavic_Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_V1_0_pdf.png

But there is no angle detection or anything like that used to shut the motors off automatically. There are several videos of the Mavic hitting a tree or something else only to flip and then flip over again correcting itself from a crash.

You must issue the CSC if you want to force the motors off.
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-31 12:32
So with DJI drones, this is called CSC (Combined Stick Command). With Phantom 3 and previous, and  ...

Thx for the clarification, i heard about the CSC (for me its like "disarm" on Arducopter / MultiWii / KK / ...).

So no emergency shutdown, so if the Mavic falls down to the ground (or beware on a living beeing) the props or fragment of props will keep spinning until CSC or burnout or battery empty ???

Ouch. Do your homework DJI (and make it Optional once you did so).

Nils
2016-10-31
Use props
Dr. 1
lvl.1

United States

There is something in front legs and believe they are aerials / antenna.
52F69A07-0DA6-4E90-8411-F5ACF1099844.jpeg
2018-3-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dr. 1 Posted at 2018-3-14 09:30
There is something in front legs and believe they are aerials / antenna.

There is one antenna in one of the legs.
2018-3-14
Use props
Dr. 1
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-14 10:05
There is one antenna in one of the legs.

Both legs have antenna on the platinum model.
2018-3-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dr. 1 Posted at 2018-3-14 13:16
Both legs have antenna on the platinum model.

Didn’t know that.
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules