I flew my Phantom at the altitude of four kilometers (13000 ft)
2491 13 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

I piloted my Phantom 3 Advanced at 4000 meters altitude above sea level for this film about Saas-Fee. I did not have any difficulties at all. The aircraft flew as usual, - though I realized  almost all the time during the flight that if it crashes I would not be able to recover it as I had not sufficient climbing equipment with me. The long high altitude flight begins at 3:19 in the video.

2016-10-31
Use props
fansd6a4804c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Phew!  Even with a 10 mbps fiber connection I was getting some buffering with the high resolution setting!  But the view on a 32 inch screen was pretty spectacular -- all that snow made me shiver just a little bit.  I liked the nice slow shots where I could take in the scenery.

How many batteries did you go through flying at that altitude?
2016-10-31
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

fansd6a4804c Posted at 2016-10-31 18:33
Phew!  Even with a 10 mbps fiber connection I was getting some buffering with the high resolution se ...

I flew at this place, 4 km, once. I had an impression that it flew absolutely as usual, including the flying time. Later we hiked to about 3 km altitude and I made a flight there too.

I always kept the maximum altitude in my Phantom 150 meters above the ground and always had the visiual contact, - these are regulations in Switzerland.
2016-10-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A beautiful video of a beautiful part of the world

Thanks for sharing.
2016-10-31
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans73c6bd09
lvl.1

Australia

Why would it mater how high you are  I would of thought it was only the hight from the ground that maters
Andrew
2016-11-3
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

fans73c6bd09 Posted at 2016-11-3 10:36
Why would it mater how high you are  I would of thought it was only the hight from the ground that m ...

The quadcopter flies as long as the blades produce lift. The lift is proportional to the density at a particular altitude. However, as altitude increases, the density goes down.

In the Phantom manual it is written:  "Aircraft  and  battery  performance  is  subject  to  environmental  factors  such  as  air  density  and  temperature. Be very careful when flying at altitudes greater than 19, 685 feet (6000 meters) above sea level, as the performance of the battery and aircraft may be affected."

It was the first time I flew at the altitude of about 4000 meters, temperature below zero Celsius, and ever-present in mountains moderate wind. And I just wanted to report that I did not notice any performance issues at all with my Phantom 3 Advanced. And one does not have just to believe my words but can see it in video.
2016-11-3
Use props
fans73c6bd09
lvl.1

Australia

Sorry I wasn't haveing a go at you I thought the drones new how far of the ground they were so if it was at 4000 ft above sea leavel but 50 ft above the ground the drone only thinks its 50 ft high not 4050 ft
Am I wrong on that
Andrew
2016-11-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It does not know how far off of the ground it is, only how far above HOME it is.
2016-11-3
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

I live in a city which is 400 meters above seal level, and Phantom always shows zero meters altitude before a flight. Come to think about it, I do not know how Phantom calculates an altitude during the flight.

GPS satellites broadcast signals from space, and each GPS receiver uses these signals to calculate its three-dimensional location (latitude, longitude, and altitude) and the current time. But I am not sure that Phantom gets an altitude from its GPS&Glonass receiver. It could be also from its internal barometer, sensors, or from all taken together via an algorithm of its on-board computer.
2016-11-4
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Beautiful!! I so need to get to Switzerland..
2016-11-4
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Oleksiy Posted at 2016-11-4 07:31
I live in a city which is 400 meters above seal level, and Phantom always shows zero meters altitude ...

Phantom derives altitude strictly from the internal barometer.  It always calculates height above home point, home point being 0.  It is sometimes not accurate, and does not use gps for altitude.
2016-11-4
Use props
PY4CK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Thanks for sharing this beautiful view of Switzerland.
2016-11-6
Use props
user81fdc3a5e3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013038 ft

Amazing video, thank you for sharing.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules