Mavic for photogrammetry?
11198 17 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask community members who have recieved their mavic if they can help me out.

I use DJI Inspires and Phantoms to collect grids of photos to produce orthomosaics and digital models of construction sites.  I have ordered a Mavic to try this out but like many, there is no clear date for shipping.  No worries there though, it is sort of an expectation with brand new tech from DJI.

If someone out there has a chance, I would ask you to manually fly your mavic in a grid pattern at around 60m elevation over a small area.  Manually take a series of photographs with the camera facing straight down.  The photos should overlap at least 70% front to back and side to side.

I would like to test these photos with my software to confirm that the camera and lense is capable of photogrammetry.  

When the Inspire 1 was released, I was in the same boat waiting on shipment and I was fortunate enough to find a forum member who offered to help me out.  If I can find a mavic owner to do the same I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

2016-10-31
Use props
jrock87
lvl.1

Canada

I would be interested in this as well. Takes a little while before people have had the chance to check out the mapping capabilities of each new dji drone. Can't wait to see how good this one is. I do know that dues to the focal length of this camera that you need to fly more grid lines to get the same overlap.
2016-11-2
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3

I was curious about the overlap too.  I just woke up but my thinking is that the issue of needing more flight lines should be negated by flying a higher altitude.  I am assuming that if we fly higher we can still get the same pixel to area density as a wider lens at a lower altitude.... I did just wake up though, this might not make much sense in reality.

On Map Pilots forums, they tell me that they have received their Mavic and that it is almost up and running with their mapping software.  I guess DJI just opened the Mavic SDK for developers.
2016-11-2
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
United States

What software do you use to program the grid spacing? This is something that I'd like to look into once I receive my Mavic.
2016-11-3
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft

No reason why it should not work well. At 60 metres, you will need to fly tighter grid lines but with tripod mode or perhaps some of the 3rd party software, grid patterns should be easy to fly. It is a very stable drone.
2016-11-3
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3

Peel Posted at 2016-11-4 04:31
What software do you use to program the grid spacing? This is something that I'd like to look into o ...

For my inspire 1 and phantom UAVs I use "Map Pilot" to plan and execute photogrammetry missions.  It is only on IOS for apple devices but it works better than any app I have tested.  It has worked for me in some pretty nasty conditions too(extreme wind).

Map pilot also has a paid add-on for terrain following during the mission that works quite well.  The only issue I have with the terrain following feature so far is that it does not yet have an option for importing your own DSM to drive the terrain.  Right now you are stuck with following terrain data captured from a USGS survey from 16 years ago.  This makes using the terrain follow feature useless while surveying active mine sites.
2016-11-3
Use props
hyderja
lvl.3
United States

Anyone used PIX4D?
2016-11-3
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3

Yeah, I have used Pix4d for some jobs.  Mostly though, I stick with Photoscan made by Agisoft.  Pix4d is or was more expensive at the time but produced less ideal results for me.  I think the trade-off was that Pix4d was easier to use initially but lacked the overall usefullness of Photoscan.  I think i found processing to be a bit faster with Photoscan too.  If you are using a Nvidia GPU you can also look at Capturing Reality.
2016-11-3
Use props
Moskenko
New
Flight distance : 49902 ft
United States

Hey I just got my Mavic and I'm really interested into doing Photogrammetry as well. I can send you the pictures of a construction site if you still want too. I downloaded the Pix4D app for Android but unfortunately it doesn't have the Mavic option yet. I didn't try and see if I could use other drone (P4, or Insp) instead. Does anyone have a app recommendation to take the grip pictures with the Mavic and for Android user (Samsung Galaxy S7)?
2016-12-1
Use props
Isigeda
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Moskenko Posted at 2016-12-2 07:22
Hey I just got my Mavic and I'm really interested into doing Photogrammetry as well. I can send you  ...

their support said it will be supporting mavic pro in ~mid Dec
2016-12-1
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Try Photoscan by Agisoft
2016-12-3
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

Does anyone use (or know of) an App to take (rather than process) the images ???

I know there are apps that you can pre-plan a flight with waypoints and various actions at each waypoint... but the ones I am aware of seem to be GPS based.

Are there any apps that you can set a series of "virtual' Waypoints that are not GPS based so you could (for example) fly to am starting point, initiate the "grid" sequence and the drone would automatically fly and shoot the pattern.
2016-12-3
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

WebCo Posted at 2016-12-4 06:38
Does anyone use (or know of) an App to take (rather than process) the images ???

I know there are a ...

Check out Map Pilot
2016-12-3
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

Cheers ... will do
2016-12-4
Use props
fansf2b98a4a
New

Australia

I use this combination of tools and they work really well for me:
- DJIFlightPlanner for the flight planning
- DJI Ultimate Flight App for the actual flying (it can import the output from DJIFlightPlanner above)
- iWitnessPRO-Agilis for the photogrammetry / image processing
Cheers =) Simon
2017-1-29
Use props
sativarias
New
Flight distance : 5161 ft
Spain

Hello everyone.

I am looking for information about drones for use in photogrammetry, because I intend to buy one, but I am still not very sure.
I'm thinking of buying the Mavic Pro, and looking for original images to do some testing with Photoscan.
Has anyone tried the Mavic Pro with vertical photos for photogrammetry?
I read that the camera is similar to that of a smart phone, and it gives me doubts.
If someone could send me some original photos taken with the Mavic to perform some tests before making the purchase, I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!
2017-5-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

sativarias Posted at 2017-5-20 11:28
Hello everyone.

I am looking for information about drones for use in photogrammetry, because I intend to buy one, but I am still not very sure.

I would question the Mavic for this. It's designed to be portable, if you need a portable drone then it's great. For photog you really want to be looking at camera quality. A Phantom 3 Pro would perform better at half the price. Or an Inspire 2 at twice the price.

What's your budget
2017-5-20
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-5-20 11:54
I would question the Mavic for this. It's designed to be portable, if you need a portable drone then it's great. For photog you really want to be looking at camera quality. A Phantom 3 Pro would perform better at half the price. Or an Inspire 2 at twice the price.

What's your budget

Depends on what scale you want to work with: I have good results for 1:200 scale ortho generation:

https://billboyheritagesurvey.wordpress.com/2019/05/01/mavic-pro-2-gsd8mm/

sure you could do better with a bigger camera sensor but I reckon the Mavic pro does the bizz!

B

Much reduced ortho from 118 MP2pro frames

Much reduced ortho from 118 MP2pro frames
100pc_creengrab-900k_1.jpg
2019-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules