Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mounting a GPS Tracker
123Next >
14737 98 2015-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ajgraham.waitro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 475289 ft
Netherlands

I have just bought an RF-V16 GPS tracker to attach to my drone. My original plan was to use Velcro to attach it to the body on the rear plate behind the battery compartment but I don't want to obscure the drone's GPS Unit.

Does anyone know where the Inspire's GPS receiver is located so I can make sure I don't obscure it ?

Has anyone else mounted a tracker and had any issues with location ?

Regards

Adrian
2015-2-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I don't think the Inspire 1 has the interface to mount it.
2015-2-6
Use props
ajgraham.waitro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 475289 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-2-6 20:10
I don't think the Inspire 1 has the interface to mount it.

The tracker is independent of the Inspire. My plan was to use Velcro to attach the tracker to the body of the aircraft.
2015-2-6
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

GPS is on top under the cape of the Inspire1.

Personally, i think that a tracking system should already be included in the Inspire1.
Would not of been much more expensive, as the GPS is already there, only a small battery to keep last
position and a sim slot would make the Inspire1 even more attractive.

Maybe DJI did not think about that.
Sorry DJI,  you are fueling my inspiration. ;)

2015-2-6
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I also have a cheap chinese tracker that I want to mount. I don't know what the metal backplate is but perhaps something like a wireless antenna? It does look like a sensor and I would rather mount it beneath the battery compartment with some ducttape. The only downside is that the gps antenna would point straight down. I saw a vid on youtube where someone put it there under a 90 degree angle. Kinda like in the extention of the metal plate. But that requires removal every time you put it in storage mode.
2015-2-6
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

guys what types of GPS trackers are you using?  Has anyone tried TILE?
2015-2-6
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-2-7 04:29

Selection of Trackers available.  Please add to list for benefit of others and any experience if currently using :
http://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/ ... tracker#prettyPhoto

http://www.brickhousesecurity.co ... ini+gps+trackers.do

http://www.locca.com/locca-shop/ ... ack/c-24/c-72/p-199    £99.95 + VAT) + Monthly plan

http://www.trackershop-uk.com/the-chameleon-gps-tracker    £109.99 + VAT

http://www.dx.com/p/portable-min ... -22599#.VNUeL0I6Nn8

http://www.personalgpstrackers.c ... acking-device-gpsx2

http://eu.traxfamily.com/gps-trackers/trax-gps-tracker

2015-2-6
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I heard another guy say he uses this one anyone else have any feedback on it?

Trackimo

Mike
2015-2-6
Use props
fahrenwald.sbcg
lvl.1

United States

I was thinking about Findster once it comes out in April.  Looks a little cheaper than Marco Polo.  I would be interested in everyone's thoughts.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projec ... out-monthly-fees--2
2015-2-6
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-2-7 04:29

Forget "Tile" I fell for 3 of those. You have to be within 3-5 feet for it to work. And then it just beeps. Don't waste your money, it is a real rip off. I threw the 3 of them away.
2015-2-6
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

No one has any thoughts about the above posted links?
2015-2-6
Use props
chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2630909 ft
  • >>>
United States

svencool Posted at 2015-2-7 10:53
No one has any thoughts about the above posted links?

I am a guy with a Marco Polo on my inspire. I've tested it while it was in my house and walked down the street until the signal dropped. I made it 1000 feet (3 football fields) with the unit inside my closed house. When the unit was on the porch outside that same 1000 ft came in strong with 59% signal strength. I haven't had to use it in a REAL situation and I hope I don't.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5084
2015-2-6
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I have purchased a Marco Polo for my inspire. The RC version is very light and apparently has the same range as the larger pet version, albeit a shorter 30 day versus 90 day) battery life. Pictured next to a spent .50 cal round for size. photo.JPG
2015-2-6
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Rbimd Posted at 2015-2-7 13:56
I have purchased a Marco Polo for my inspire. The RC version is very light and apparently has the sa ...

Looks small enough.  Just not convinced about having to use the handheld tracker to then find it and having to be close enough to pick up a signal.

Please keep the suggestions coming though as I think putting a GPS tracker on the Inspire is the way to go, especially given the Fly Away's being reported.
2015-2-7
Use props
guygeva
lvl.2

Israel

What about the tk102b gps+sim tracker?
I know that people using them a lot and as far as i can tell they are very good and not expensive.
What you guys have to say about it? Maybe someone know it, had used it before?

My main concern would be the cellular radio of all the trackers that use cellular with gps, where would be the best place to mount it on the inspire?
2015-2-7
Use props
ftremblay.mf2cn
lvl.2

Canada

I have order the spot trace to put on my Inspire. it is $100 per year but it is a small assurance fee for flyaway . The system is a satellite base so it work everywhere.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128
2015-2-7
Use props
wolftj.mindspri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

@ftremblay - please post pics once you mount the Trace. I use a Spot in my plane so would be interested in adding a Trace to the Inspire if the size works out ok. Thanks!
2015-2-7
Use props
Thorbjorn
lvl.2

Sweden

Somebody know if there are GPS tracker who is waterproof  (2m) I will use to my kite surf borad as well.
2015-2-7
Use props
ftremblay.mf2cn
lvl.2

Canada

wolftj.mindspri Posted at 2015-2-8 03:06
@ftremblay - please post pics once you mount the Trace. I use a Spot in my plane so would be interes ...

I am out for one week but as soon as am back I will post a photo of the setup.
2015-2-7
Use props
tattman
lvl.1

United States

Here's what I did with my Drone Mods Locator, HD Velcro, Have the same on my Phanton.. It looks better lengthways, with HD Velcro Brand it's not coming off however mounted I wasn't sure about the back plate. To me it seemed like a antenna or something more than just a metal plate/cover. If it turns out to be Ok to mount on It's a ideal spot for any small locator. For my Drone Mods locator the back plate would make the best spot for the GPS Antenna & I'm not sure about the locators cell Antenna for their cell tower tracking part. Works good bottom side my phantom. Up top or side should get better GSP signal Lock. Nothing to worry over it works any witch way You Sticker-On.  third locator I use is Borther P-Touch Lable That Reads (REWARD for Returning Call xxx-xxx-xxx) P-touch labler @ Walmart/Amazom $13.00 +/-.   Just home from my first flight.. I'm Inspired to take another flight this time not focasing on all the bells and whistles, just flying..Oh Ya I have only one battery. Others are backordered.. No complaints here!! I'm a Happy Guy Right Now. The flight felt to me like I stepped out of My dad's Old Caddy (Phantom) and stepped right into a New Vet. what even faster and more agle? the speed of the gimble. I'm afraid I won't be posting my first Freature Film, to many folks getting motion sickness from the cam from Hell Roller Coaster Ride without Rails..We do have a fix for that, I saw in the App. details details!!

Drone Modes locator

Drone Modes locator
2015-2-7
Use props
ftremblay.mf2cn
lvl.2

Canada

Thorbjorn Posted at 2015-2-8 03:35
Somebody know if there are GPS tracker who is waterproof  (2m) I will use to my kite surf borad as w ...

The spot trace is ipx7 (watertight in 1 meter) I don't know for 2 meter.
2015-2-7
Use props
Thorbjorn
lvl.2

Sweden

ftremblay.mf2cn Posted at 2015-2-8 04:04
The spot trace is ipx7 (watertight in 1 meter) I don't know for 2 meter.

Thanks I will take a look
2015-2-7
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Anyone used this particular GPS tracker.  Apparently no monthly fees, just needs a sim with credit.

http://www.trackershop-uk.com/as ... ameleon-gps-tracker

Looks like its small enough to go on any UAV.
2015-2-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thorbjorn Posted at 2015-2-8 05:24
Thanks I will take a look

Thorbjorn,

I note this GPS is waterproof to 1m :

2015-2-8
Use props
Thorbjorn
lvl.2

Sweden

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-8 23:29
Thorbjorn,

I have found this device to I will look closer to it in the week

2015-2-8
Use props
Thorbjorn
lvl.2

Sweden

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-8 23:29
Thorbjorn,

I have found this device to I will look closer to it in the week

2015-2-8
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-8 23:25
Anyone used this particular GPS tracker.  Apparently no monthly fees, just needs a sim with credit.

I'll call them tomorrow. It looks like there is a monthly fee for the tracking service,
2015-2-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-9 01:54
I'll call them tomorrow. It looks like there is a monthly fee for the tracking service,

I got an email from the Tracker Shop who confirmed there was no monthly fee.  It apparently works provided the sim card is in credit. It accepts sims from overseas also.

Very small and compact also.  They are going to send me some additional images of the tracker.
2015-2-8
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Hey GB44 can you post those images when you get them? Thanks

Mike
2015-2-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

svencool Posted at 2015-2-9 03:14
Hey GB44 can you post those images when you get them? Thanks

Mike

No Worries, will do.  It certainly looks like a nice neat tracker
2015-2-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Does anyone know what the thin black box is on the back of the battery housing, it has the silver screws in all four corners and the DJI logo on it.

Was thinking of putting some velcro on here to fix a GPS box but dont want to block anything, radio signals etc.  Alternative would be a position on under carriage somewhere.

Any input from DJI guys would be appreciated on suitable position.
2015-2-8
Use props
jan.exploringim
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3514751 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hi GB44, do you know if it is possible to change the sim card on the tracker, I come from DK, so I would use a local card.
2015-2-8
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-9 02:54
I got an email from the Tracker Shop who confirmed there was no monthly fee.  It apparently works  ...

I brought one this morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jan.exploringim Posted at 2015-2-9 04:04
Hi GB44, do you know if it is possible to change the sim card on the tracker, I come from DK, so I w ...

Jan,

I beleive you can put any sim card in the Tracker shop GPS Tracker - send them an email or contact them from their website, just to be sure.
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-9 17:07
I brought one this morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Is that the Trackershop model ?

Would be good to get some decent images of the tracker for everyone.  I am still waiting for the shop to send some through.
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44
Is this the one?

http://www.trackershop-uk.com/the-chameleon-gps-tracker

2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mrburns Posted at 2015-2-9 17:46
GB44
Is this the one?

Yeah thats it.
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This is a cracking little unit but I still can't see how there are no running costs.  It uses a sim ? They advise a £5.00 credit to start so there must be a cost somewhere.  In which case it throughs the market open again.

In which case if you are travelling all over the world flytrex would be better, available in Uk from upteen dealers.  Now with a can bus arrangement to plug and play.  

God I sound like a saleman.  

I have emailed them to see if they do a direct connect for the inspire as they do for all other phantoms.
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mrburns Posted at 2015-2-9 18:40
This is a cracking little unit but I still can't see how there are no running costs.  It uses a sim  ...

From what I understand, it works by just sending text messages with a link to a google map for the location.

Doesnt say nothing about on-going monthly fees or any other fees necessary.

Let us know exactly if you habe bought one.
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

THis does look good. Usable in 196 countries and the position credits are bought from the trackershop. MMMM
Most expensive credit is 1p per position, and if you only use it for flyaways then - Paradise!!

Q. WHAT ARE POSITION AND SMS CREDITS?

A. We do not charge a monthly fee or sign you into a contract to use all the tracking facilities and mapping that come with your live tracking device. We have a pay as you track system whereby you simply purchase credits. So you can monitor this, there is a counter on your mapping panel showing you how many credits you have and are using.

Position Credits you will use for the live tracking. You can instruct your tracker to update it's position from every 5 seconds to 1 hour. Each time your GPS tracker updates it''s position on your map it uses a position credit. These credits are only used when your tracker starts tracking and then comes to a stop. Whilst your tracker is stationary, and not sensing any movement, or switched off you will not use any credits.

To give an example: If you set your GPS tracker to update it's position every minute, and it is in motion for 30 minutes, you will use 30 position credits. For the same journey, if you set it to report every 10 minutes you will use 3 credits. You can change the reporting time instantly by a click of a button.

SMS credits are used if you send a command from your mapping panel to your GPS tracker to change its reporting time, or if you ask your tracker to send you an SMS alert to your phone.

To top up your credits there is a button on your mapping panel which you click and allows you to add credits online to your tracker. Our position credits are the most cost effective in the UK.
2015-2-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules