Mounting a GPS Tracker
123Next >
14778 98 2015-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It would appear that these people do similar worldwide but the tracker shop doeas seem better value for a slimmer product

http://www.gotek7.com/gps-trackers/
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Well its to late now, Just bought the Chameleon from the trackershop.

Look forward to using it with my Marco Polo.

I wont  lose anything now, just break it into small pieces
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Question for DJI  guys :

If placing a GPS Tracker on the Inspire that uses the following frequencies will this cause any conflict with the working and operation of the Inspire :

Frequency: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

These are the GPS  tracker frquencies for the Prime Lite :
http://www.gotek7.com/product/prime-lite/

2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here are some images that TrackerShop sent me for the Chameleon GPS Tracker.   Verty much like a USB stick.

Not good pics but gives an idea on size.  Apparently it doesnt open up, sim just slots into bottom of tracker.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/use ... Tracker%20Chamelion

Now waiting for some additional images for the GoTek7 models.
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Interesting to know which gotek7 model you think is best suited to inspire

The frequencies you mention above are all GPRS telephony frequencies.  Most trackers are using these and therefore should not interfere with DJI stuff as the DJI is embalmed in then 24/7 worldwide.

The only unit  I can see that does not use this type of frequency is the spot trace.
2015-2-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-2-7 04:29
guys what types of GPS trackers are you using?  Has anyone tried TILE?

Forget the Tile. I fell for that one and they are useless. Threw them away. You have to be right on top of the thing, like a couple of feet.
2015-2-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-7 04:36
Selection of Trackers available.  Please add to list for benefit of others and any experience if cu ...

I don't know about some of these. They are Magnet Mount. The Compass on the Inspire is very important to the Inspire,s Navigation System.
2015-2-9
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Had an email from Flytrex this afternoon advising they are working on a unit for the inspire 1 but unforntuately are awaiting delivery of a unit for testing
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just been chating on the Chat Line to find out what the black box is at the back of the aircraft as thought that may be a good location for a GPS Tracker.

Chat line indicated that putting anything on the Inspire may void teh guarantee.  So before you put any GPS on the aircraft you may wish to clarify with DJI that it wont impact anything.
They help line didnt know what the box was either !!

2015-2-9
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-10 05:18
Just been chating on the Chat Line to find out what the black box is at the back of the aircraft as  ...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it flies away and you can't find it then DJI won't be liable because there are no logs. Put a tracker on it and they will probably claim its responsible.
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-9 17:07
I brought one this morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Has your GPS arrived yet - if so would like to see some images on your Inspire where you have fitted it and your comments
2015-2-10
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-11 07:05
Has your GPS arrived yet - if so would like to see some images on your Inspire where you have fitt ...

Hi GB44, Yes, it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't supply the phone number for the SIM, so got to get a another one today. I'll post up some images tonight. Its quite a small device, a lot smaller than other ones I've see on this forum.
2015-2-11
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-11 16:46
Hi GB44, Yes, it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't supply the phone number for the SIM ...

Good to here it arrived, so I suppose its also a good thing to know that you can also just go out and get any sim.

Look forward to the images and hope it works well.  Very interested in this as it is really small and shouldnt have any impact on the Inspire.  Let us know exactly where you locate it on the Inspire and any problems you may encounter.
2015-2-11
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-11 17:38
Good to here it arrived, so I suppose its also a good thing to know that you can also just go out a ...

Ok here is a picture of the Chameleon GPS tracker

The unit weighs 23g its dimensions 60mm x 22.8mm x 12mm

Its a nice little unit and provides an accurate location when text. It can also text you when the battery gets to 30%, which is handy, as there are no indicators that say how charged the unit is. Its also has a Geo-Fence alarm and speeding alarm facility. These aren't really applicable to us.

The only strange thing about the unit is how you power it up and down. To turn the device on you insert the Sim card. To switch it off you eject the card. This means there is a danger you could loose the sim when its turned off. So just something to be mindful of.
2015-2-11
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

I use tile for my keys and wallet, but I don't think it would be a good option for the inspire.  The way it works is it sends its position to your phone every minute when you are in range of it.    So if you had one on your inspire it would only show you the last place it was while you were in range of it.  As for the guy that threw 3 of them out.  Wow.  What a waste of a great product.  Just cuz Its not ideal for a quadcopter doesn't mean it isn't a great product.  I've used it countless times to find my missing keys etc and highly suggest it for anyone that has my problem of constantly losing your keys.    But yeah for a quad tracker it wouldn't be ideal.
2015-2-12
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Anyone got any experience of this GPS Tracker - It has no fees for first 2 years, looks real small and neat.  Just looks like a good design and built well, unlike some.

http://www.traxfamily.com/gps-tr ... 1423252373#features

2015-2-12
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-13 01:46
Anyone got any experience of this GPS Tracker - It has no fees for first 2 years, looks real small a ...

Have you flown your inspire yet?
2015-2-12
Use props
ArmyScout
lvl.2

United States

I'm thinking about going with the Trax GPS tracker.  Anyone have any experience with it or know if it will affect the GPS or flight of the aircraft at all?

http://www.traxfamily.com
2015-2-12
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

ArmyScout Posted at 2015-2-13 13:49
I'm thinking about going with the Trax GPS tracker.  Anyone have any experience with it or know if i ...

This looks pretty sweet.  Again, I have not heard anyone say whether this is or isn't an issue with causing radio interference with the inspire or not.
2015-2-13
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-13 06:59
Have you flown your inspire yet?

Not yet,

The Kids take priority, if you know what I mean.
2015-2-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ArmyScout Posted at 2015-2-13 13:49
I'm thinking about going with the Trax GPS tracker.  Anyone have any experience with it or know if i ...

Army Scout,

I liked the Trax also, but they said they wont ship to UK when I contacted them.

So unsure what to do

Lethbrp, How you getting in witrh the Chamelion
2015-2-14
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-15 03:15
Army Scout,

I liked the Trax also, but they said they wont ship to UK when I contacted them.

Hi GB44,

Its actually very good and has some really handy features. The manual is an bit lacking and it took me a while to get it to work. The issue turned out to be quite simple. You can allow up to 5 phone numbers to be authorised to talk to the unit. What wasn't quite clear was that when you register these numbers, you have to supply the +44 intl code. After that it worked flawless. I did swap out the SIM that came with it with an O2 sim because the network coverage is better. Fundamentally, its very light at 23g. So one of the better units out there.
2015-2-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lethbrp,

Thanks for the update, still undecided which one to go for.  I did like the Trax version especially with no fees for two years, but they said they dont ship to UK, which is bizarre given they are just in Europe.
2015-2-14
Use props
rsghowellnj.gma
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Adrian,

Any luck with the RF-V16 GPS tracker?  I really like this device because of the size and the fact that it has an audible ring.  Have you been able to test it out?  Did it have any effects on radio communications with the Inspire during flight?
2015-2-14
Use props
ajgraham.waitro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 475289 ft
Netherlands

Sorry, I've go the  RF-V16 but I've not managed to get a SIM card yet.
2015-2-15
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-12 02:30
Ok here is a picture of the Chameleon GPS tracker

Thinking about the purchase of the Chamelion tracker, positioning is my main concern, any noticeable difference in its handing capabilities since mounting the tracker? Any info gratefully recieved!
2015-2-15
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It works fine. Doesn't interfere with the Inspire. I gave it a good test today. Further up in this thread is a picture on where I velcroed it to the Inspire.  When you set it up, be sure to use the country code +44 when entering your number.
2015-2-15
Use props
leostrat_54.yah
lvl.3

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-16 06:24
It works fine. Doesn't interfere with the Inspire. I gave it a good test today. Further up in this t ...

If you fly anywhere there is poor phone service you will need something in addition to these trackers. IMHO
2015-2-15
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

i use a used iphone 4 that i have lying around and put a new sim card from my cell phone in it for EACH FLIGHT ...i use find my iphone feature and locate in case of loss. i tested a fully charged battery on my old iphone 4 lasts 7 days! in standby.

you can get a new sim card from your cell carrier for $10 in canada. My last phantom was found and returned after a crash
2015-2-15
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

leostrat_54.yah Posted at 2015-2-16 07:19
If you fly anywhere there is poor phone service you will need something in addition to these track ...

Not really a problem in the UK, most areas are covered by cell service.
2015-2-16
Use props
jebryant10.att
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

I also have the drone mods locater and it works well, can be used for other applications and I mounted it on the back by the battery.

http://drone-mods.com
2015-2-16
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-16 06:24
It works fine. Doesn't interfere with the Inspire. I gave it a good test today. Further up in this t ...

Many thanks, it's mounted on the back of the lightbridge plate, so was hoping that would be the case. Many thanks for your reply.
2015-2-16
Use props
leostrat_54.yah
lvl.3

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-16 16:23
Not really a problem in the UK, most areas are covered by cell service.

In about 2/3 of the western hemisphere (Canada, Alaska, South America, the American West and Southwest), in other words some of the best photo ops for these big birds, it is a very real problem. Again IMHO
2015-2-16
Use props
Helipal
lvl.1

United States

leostrat_54.yah Posted at 2015-2-17 06:58
In about 2/3 of the western hemisphere (Canada, Alaska, South America, the American West and South ...

+1 - fully agree.

You have to have both solid GPS and cell service at time of crash - less risky to use a RF tracker like Marco polo
2015-2-17
Use props
ppdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272799 ft
United States

did anyone try Flytrex 3g???
2015-2-17
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Adrian .... have you been able to get the RF-V16 GPS tracker working?  do you know if they have technical support?  I haven't been able to get mine to work.
2015-2-17
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know where to get technical support for the RF-V16 GPS tracker?  There is no technical support contact information in the manual.  If there is anyone out there with good knowledge of how the RF-V16 works, here is my problem if anyone here is very familiar with this product:

I'm just having much luck here.  It seems like I can see the Blue Dot (my iPhone) but I can't see the Red Dot (RF-V16) in the App.  The RF-V16 is showing Off-Line in the App.  I'm seeing just the opposite in Google Maps.  In Google Maps I can see the Red Dot (RF-V16) but I procured a GSM SIM Card from AT&T.  I can't see the Blue Dot (my iPhone) in the App.  I verified that under privacy settings I have location services turned on.  I allow Location Services to both TrackAnywhere as well as Maps.  The lights are blinking quickly so that is why I know I have a fix on GPS.  I'm able to text commands to the RF-V16 and it responds.  I'm able to call the RF-V16 and have it call out.

On the App, there are 3 tabs on the home screen: All[1] Online[0] Off-line[1].  On the Monitoring screen, I'm only seeing a blue dot (which you indicate is my phone).  If is send a dw# text message to my device it comes back with a Google map url with coordinates.  On the Google map,  see a red balloon (indicating my device) but no blue dot.  So you see I'm not able to see the blue dot and red balloon on the same screen.  
2015-2-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I've tried the RF-V16 GPS tracker - works well and you can call it up. The finder can also call you up on a cell phone (has to be GSM) if he finds it. If you are hunting your craft down and are near it, you can set off an alarm as well. The instructions are pretty crappy but the website tracking method works pretty well. It costs something like USD 60 and was designed for pets and child tracking use. You can even set up a geofence with it. There are no signup fees or monthly fees.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177391
2015-2-18
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-2-18 19:31
I've tried the RF-V16 GPS tracker - works well and you can call it up. The finder can also call you  ...

Thanks for the info on the blog.  I posted the following there (see below).  I really thing my problem is the fact that my RF-V16 is not properly registered with gps123.org.

Need some help with the RF-V16.  How come when I go into the web page http://www.gps123.org, it always shows me to be in China.  Why is it not showing my device where it really is.  I login with my ID that is the GSM ID on the back of my device with the default password.  In Device Settings if I click on any of the commands I get "Device and the server has been disconnected!".  Under device info my phone number comes up blank.  I'm able to text the RF-V16 successfully and it responds.  The problem is Google Maps only shows RF-V16 and not my iPhone.  The App only shows my iPhone but not the RF-V16.  I verified that GPS is turned on for both the RF-V16, my iPhone, app and Google Maps.  When I login to the app, under device list, it shows Online[0] Off-line[1].  In the app on the Monitoring tab I show a blue dot (my iPhone) but I don't see the red dot (RF-V16).   

Any help would be most appreciated.
2015-2-18
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-2-18 22:04
Thanks for the info on the blog.  I posted the following there (see below).  I really thing my pro ...

Okay I did the following and got Google Maps (web page) to work:

On my iPAD and iPhone
     1.Settings
     2.General
     3.Reset
     4.Reset Location & Privacy

I still can not get the TrackAnywhere App to work.
2015-2-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules