2811 38 2016-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

Hi !
I am new to DJI but not new to copters.
Basically i am a DIY type of guy and i love Arducopter (APM/Pixhawk).
I also helped on improving the actual code base (mostly on MegaPiratesNG)
My biggest bird is a 4kg Y6b Hexa with Gimbal & SONY NEX.
But as you maybe can see from my avatar i am also into "antiques" like the Arduspyder with Arduino Mega and DOF6 Sensors :-)

Due to lack of time i enjoy casual flying with a Parrot Bebop.
While you probably sneer at it its quite related to the Mavic: small, unobstrusive, CPU/GPU Combo instead of dedicated Flightcontroller, integrated ESC, WiFi controllable...

But what really impressed me were the safety stops built in.

When seeing the Mavic i automatically assumed (wrongly ?) that its also quite developed in terms of safety.

The Bebop does those 2 things that for me make a GREAT difference:

-1- If the angle exceeds 90 degrees all motors will stop
-2- if the motors seem blocked (== too high current) they will stop.

"stop" does not only mean switch off power but ACTIVE breaking.
And as the integrated ESC's are controlled by i2c (as opposed to "old school" PWM) that is happening VERY fast.
I even drifted to a steel pole one time and the prop hitting the pole was just dented as the breaking was so damn fast.
Also the cuts in my fingers are MUCH less deep then with my 280 racer that has about the same propulsion / Props.
(When i got too cocky with catching the bird out of air)

So, in another thread i learned that there are no such things for the Mavic, is that REALLY true ?
If so, is DJI at leat working on that ?
(Maybe as an option)

Or is it really like in the old days, if the Mavic comes down the props (or whats left of them) will continue spinning until CSC/disarm ?
(ripping flesh / valuables / whatever to shreds in the process)

Please let me know it isnt so... I especially enjoyed the bebop as i knew i can just "kick it out of the air" literally without big consequences if things go weird.
And seeing the reports the Mavic tends to get haywire from time to time, no way would i fly it close to people / animals / cars like i dont do with my big bird(s) but i DID with the Bebop.

Greetings,

Nils

P.S. i am no native English speaker, so excuses for strange / wrong / bad wording

2016-11-1
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

good question
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

1. The stop button on Mavic controller does try to counter the movement and stops the drone more rapidly than just letting lose the stick.

2. The Mavic will trigger automatic CSC when it senses a crash
2016-11-1
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-1 12:10
1. The stop button on Mavic controller does try to counter the movement and stops the drone more rap ...

Ah !
Do you know hoe it senses a crash ?
Sudden Acceleration / Angle / motor current / rpm (low/high/change) ?!

Greetings,

Nils
2016-11-1
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Nils,

You sound quite experienced. I'm not sure who is capable of answering your very valid questions but there is a DJI guy on here that may be able to help. Perhaps if you edit or repost your question but use "DJI-Ken" in your title. Something like "DJI-Ken can you answer or find an answer to my safety question?". Ken has been very helpful to me and many others here and is on this forum regularly. Obviously, he's quite busy putting out fires right now but it'd be worth a shot. Sorry I couldn't answer your question myself but I don't know the answer.

Jerry
2016-12-1
Use props
fansf8b7aba0
lvl.2

United States

These obvious attempts to try and discredit or tarnish DJI drones are hilarious. You are actually comparing another drone to anything that DJI makes? There is no drone on the market that can compete with the quality of DJI.
2016-12-1
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

fansf8b7aba0 Posted at 2016-12-1 05:52
These obvious attempts to try and discredit or tarnish DJI drones are hilarious. You are actually co ...

What ?     
2016-12-1
Use props
fansf8b7aba0
lvl.2

United States

You didn't understand what I wrote? These and other threads like them are purposefully written to discredit DJI to look at another drone. They point out a particular perceived flaw to dissuade a potential buyer to buy their drone instead of DJI.
2016-12-1
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

fansf8b7aba0 Posted at 2016-12-1 09:00
You didn't understand what I wrote? These and other threads like them are purposefully written to d ...

Fansf8b7aba0,

Oh, I didn't catch that from his post. Comparing the Bebop to the Mavic isn't even realistic. It's not in the same league. He sounds like an experienced pilot looking for some answers. I have read a few posts now about not being able to shut down the Mavic if its on its back. Don't know if its true or not but I don't want to find out the hard way. I'm a DJI supporter and own 4 DJI UAV's. Sounds like a valid question to me.

Respectfully,

Jerry
2016-12-1
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Nils,

I've read a few more of your posts in other threads and you do seem to mention the Bebop in most of them. Not sure why its necessary to do so. You might get a little more positive feedback if you refrained from doing such. As I'm sure you know, as an "experienced" pilot, the Bebop is not a comparable product to the Mavic. That simply is not worth debating.

Jerry
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-1 16:24
Nils,

I've read a few more of your posts in other threads and you do seem to mention the Bebop in m ...

The motors can only be stopped in midair when aircraft detects a critical error, this can only be changed in the app. Page 52 manual..
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Your title is very misleading.
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-1 16:24
Nils,

I've read a few more of your posts in other threads and you do seem to mention the Bebop in m ...

Hi !
I used to fly DIY APM or Pixhawk Hexas (still 2 left here, sold the rest).
I had not enough time for the hobby but decided to go RTF with the Bebop.
2 years before it was $900 so its not much below the league of the Mavic now.

And i especially mentioned it here for its safety features that are great.

Its a forefather in the respect that it packed VPS, Sonar, Gimbal, GPS, Barometer, Compass, Gyro, ACC  (although software) in a small package.

Is not meant diminishing to the Mavic but DJI can and has to learn from all sources it can get, also from Parrot.

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 17:18

In which way ?
As you saw on the other thread it doesnt seem to have safety features in terms of crash ?

Mavics crashing and props still spinning is NOT my definition of safety or working crash detection.

:-(

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 08:18

Agreed.

Mavic has more features, obstacle sensing cameras, visual awareness, multiple inputs and safety alerts than just about any other drone i've seen on the market.

While not perfect, it's far from a drone labeled as having "no safety features."

It's difficult to take the OP serious with the misleading title.
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

fansf8b7aba0 Posted at 2016-12-1 16:00
You didn't understand what I wrote? These and other threads like them are purposefully written to d ...

Hi !
No one would trade a Bebop for a Mavic.
Its really all about: If this little thing can do it, why cant the mavic do it ?
I have a Bebop but i ordered a Mavic.
I just find it disturbing it has no safety features and i wonder why DJI (Fans) doesnt put high priotity on that.
Its not SO difficult to notice e.g. an upside down angle or too high current in a motor.
I am sure that almost anything is there, it just needs Software change (and maybe Awareness change).

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 17:26
In which way ?
As you saw on the other thread it doesnt seem to have safety features in terms of c ...

As I said you can change that in the app,

Your statement should read something like..

Safety flaw in Mavic?

What you have written implies that Mavic has no safety features, which is categorically wrong..
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 17:33
As I said you can change that in the app,

Your statement should read something like..

Hi
Thats what the Question mark is for :-)

You are always coming back to CS, i am not interested in that and in a control loss / flyaway it would not help.
Safety comed from automating a proper shutdown (with i2c ESC's even with magnetic breaking)
Its not about attacking the Mavic or DJI, its about etting a statementhy crash detection isnt working r if thee is any.

And CSC has nothing to do with that.
So i am not attacking and you neednt to be apologetic about that. Its important!

Niks
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 17:41
Hi

First of all I never said you were attacking, somebody else may have said that, you should read people's comments properly before accusing.

Secondly I was just pointing out that there are safety measures on the Mavic as you well know yourself, and if you are aware of some of the safety measures, then clearly your title should not read as it does.

Mavic has no safety features is not a question even if you put ? after it, it's a statement,

Now, Does the Mavic have any safety features ? Is a question,
And if you wrote it wrongly because of your English then I  understand, but it's misleading the way you wrote it..
2016-12-1
Use props
Oliver Seeler
New

United States

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 08:41
Hi

People, first of all this is in my view, also as an experienced RC pilot and builder, an interesting and valid question. The OP states that he is not a native English speaker, which may account for some of the wording being interpreted differently than intended. He is clearly highly experienced and thus I would think a potential asset here, and I think people should focus on the content of the question rather than on style or perceived possible motives.

Secondly IMHO there is certainly nothing wrong with talking about other systems and aircraft; no matter how wonderful our DJI quads are, all such aircraft share common threads and pilots and builders can learn useful things from studying others.

As for instant motor shutdown, I have always programmed my Tx's when possible to cut power with the flip of a single switch; that has saved countless props and collateral damage over the years. I'm a very experienced pilot and prefer direct control of that feature over anything automated, but I can see automation as a good thing for less experienced folks, and a kill switch accidentally flipped is a real party-ender. I'm not sure about dynamic braking, there may be potential negatives there in regard to ESC design/programming and the mass of a smaller quad's rotating parts is relatively low, so I question how much additional damage reduction is likely in comparison to simply cutting power.
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Oliver Seeler Posted at 2016-12-1 18:13
People, first of all this is in my view, also as an experienced RC pilot and builder, an interesti ...

I fully agree with what your saying, in the P4 there is a direct control system i.e. Pull left stick to down to right hand corner while pressing RTH , in so far as accidentally tripping this it's almost foolproof, with the Mavic they have a system which is ,
The motors can be stopped in midair when the aircraft detects critical error, obviously automated, but with very little information as when and how the aircraft decides that this will kick in..
However it does mention in the manual, on page 52, that the operator can change this in the app, this is all the information I have at present, as I have not received my Mavic yet.
So if someone can enlighten us as to how and what you can change this setting to, I'm a bit at a loss to take this topic any further regarding the Mavic.
Maybe somebody who has Mavic can throw a little light on this topic, it might help understand what we can change in the app..
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 18:47
I fully agree with what your saying, in the P4 there is a direct control system i.e. Pull left sti ...

Hi !
Definately excuses if i come over agressive, unwanted !
In the previous 2 posts you talk about Measures to take on your Tx to stop motors.
While that is NEEDED as well i am all here for crash / emergency detection and automatic motor stop.
And i KNOW this will invariably fail at some point, crashing down your craft if you *dont* want it but it could be an option.
I prefer having my craft "trying" to cause minimum damage IF things fail.

As for active ESC braking: Given that the Mavics props are small and they are foldable it may doesnt make too much of a difference, i can assure you that it makes a world of differnce for 12 or 14" Carbon Props. But that might be omitted for the Mavic.

Greetings,

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 18:54
Hi !
Definately excuses if i come over agressive, unwanted !
In the previous 2 posts you talk abou ...

I understand destruction can be caused by unforeseen crash, and much need to be done in those situations, I still haven't found out what you can change in the app, I would like to know from somebody who has a Mavic and can get into the app, or from a moderator here on the forum..
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-1 19:01
I understand destruction can be caused by unforeseen crash, and much need to be done in those situ ...

There is no such option in the App atm...
I am requesting it.
And as you said, even if you are still connected, CSC is oly possible in certain situations, probably too many beginners activated CSC by mistake in previous crafts, so they took that freedom away.

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Wie würde das Mavic, wenn es abgestürzt?
2016-12-1
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-1 10:14
Fansf8b7aba0,

Oh, I didn't catch that from his post. Comparing the Bebop to the Mavic isn't even  ...

Yea also, did not catch that feeling. I think DJI is in a league of it's own. I own both drones actually, I like the bebop, it's fun, and super durable. But it has so many issues. DJI's products speak for themselves. I am in love with my Mavic.
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

JFXMedia Posted at 2016-12-1 19:47
Yea also, did not catch that feeling. I think DJI is in a league of it's own. I own both drones ac ...

Yup, the Mavic is great which doesnt mean it cant be improved...
Its the first drone to get me to buy DJI,something i never considered before.
In case of my APM/Pixhawk drones i was simply able to modify the code to my likings and i actively worked on that (also worked on spinoffs liek MegaPiratesNG).

So i basically shy away frm closed proprietry systems and now i am astonished about some (for me) obvious "gaps" that i can Not close myself :-)

Well, its the first FW releases but tbh i couldnt believe that serious crash detection is missing, maybe its just because i am used to it...

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

I think the issue with your post is that the way it is worded, it sounds like you are asking if the Mavic has any safety features at all. It does, it has tons. You are referring to one specific safety feature, motor stop on crash detection.
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have a parrot bebop and tbh I'm not that impressed with the breaking system, as soon as something touches the props it falls out of the sky. I had a bird attack mine and it only just caught the props and down it came luckily into long grass. Them bebops are great but the frames break really easy.
2016-12-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

I feel really bad for the OP must be hard to fly drones when your blind.

Poor kid can't read all the saftey features the mavic has and obviously can't see all the sensors on the mavic

Either that or he's just your typical troll who brought a pos seagull drone and jealously is driving this bs topic.

The mavic has no saftey features? Ha moron.
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-1 21:18
I feel really bad for the OP must be hard to fly drones when your blind.

Poor kid can't read al ...

Well thanks for the friendly words :-)
I think all the "safety features" you are referring to are for the safety of the mavic, i am speaking of the safety at the crash site. And with the History of the mavic there are tons of crash sites until now...

So please stay on your side of the fence...

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-1 20:57
I have a parrot bebop and tbh I'm not that impressed with the breaking system, as soon as something  ...

YES, thats the downside, but i prefer it that way, just my way of thinking, i always stressed that such features should be optional.
I am using the Bebop and NOT my large Birds if i sneak through the woods and i certainly would love to be able to switch off the motor-off-on collision feature as it could recover from touching branches.

So agreed, but how should an OPTION hurt ?

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 20:48
YES, thats the downside, but i prefer it that way, just my way of thinking, i always stressed that ...

I suppose having this option would be nice but I think if the mavic was crashing or crashed then the person flying it would be panicking to much to switch off the motors.
2016-12-1
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-1 21:53
I suppose having this option would be nice but I think if the mavic was crashing or crashed then t ...

Sorry, misunderstanding: I meant an option for automatic crash detection & motor shutdown.
An option to get manual CSC back wouldn't hurt as well...

Nils
2016-12-1
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-1 21:29
Sorry, misunderstanding: I meant an option for automatic crash detection & motor shutdown.
An opti ...

I see yes I know what you mean.
2016-12-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-12-2 04:45
Well thanks for the friendly words :-)
I think all the "safety features" you are referring to are  ...

"The mavic has no saftey features"

"No no those saftey features are to protect the mavic"

Wait i thought you said the mavic has NO SAFTEY FEATURES thx for your freindly comments
2016-12-2
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-2 10:29
"The mavic has no saftey features"

"No no those saftey features are to protect the mavic"

Hi !
You are right, one could argue about that.
Luckily i expressed what i meant in the first post and if you deigned to read it you would be well informed.
BUT nevertheless i have to admit you have a point.
Good luck i added that question mark to keep you from sueing me

Why bother, if you're not interested just move on.
I am certainly no Mavic basher, have 3 on order...
But i want it to be the best it can be, simple as that...

Nils
2016-12-2
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

Some guy reported his Mavic going savage somewhere on the forums, it crashed and laying on its back but completely ripped the props while spinning fast out of control on the floor without him able to stop it at all...

So far for the "safety features" lol.
2016-12-2
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-2 11:19
Some guy reported his Mavic going savage somewhere on the forums, it crashed and laying on its back  ...

Well, some homework to to yet at DJI...
2016-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules