Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FLYING ALONE
12Next >
3030 57 2016-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MHM1170
lvl.2

Who fly's alone?..........Today I was out flying alone when I heard a guy yelling "HEY Im going to shoot that $&%#$% drone out of the sky".  I could not see who it was because I was in the middle of filming.  I just shouted back  "Im over the ocean not bothering any one go ahead and lets see who gets arrested"  Then I heard a loud smash, I landed about 1 min later to find the back window of my car smashed.
I consider my self lucky , this could have turned out a lot worst then a broken window. This guy could have attacked me from behind with out me knowing. I now do not feel comfortable flying alone, with all the carazy people in the world you never know who could walk up from behind  while your flying.  I will now have a Friend/spotter with me when I go out to fly..........
2016-11-3
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's why I carry a handgun when I fly.  Beyond psychos, you make yourself a mark when you fly solo because you're holding on to gear that can easily be sold quickly.  It's not like you need a fence to sell a stolen drone or camera gear.  I make sure I always fly with my buddy G23.  
2016-11-3
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

What country are you in ? And it's a pity you didn't catch him on film.
2016-11-3
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

method007 Posted at 2016-11-3 17:17
That's why I carry a handgun when I fly.  Beyond psychos, you make yourself a mark when you fly solo ...

Here in Canada, we'd be packing a stern warning, or a strongly worded email.
2016-11-3
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-4 07:18
What country are you in ? And it's a pity you didn't catch him on film.

Guess he is in the US.  Depends where he was flying, you should report it anyway.
2016-11-3
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love the question.. what country are you in.. lol. Obviously USA. Lots of conspiracy-loving, gun nutjobs here.

By the way, you should immediately call the police when this happens. It's against federal law to shoot at a drone. FAA considers drones to be actual aircraft, so shooting at a drone is the same as shooting at a regular airplane. Several people have gone to jail for this. When you get a psycho like this, first thing you should do is immediately land and use any gear to record his/her actions on camera and call police right away.
2016-11-3
Use props
JudgeRoyBean
lvl.2

Is your back window covered by DJI Refresh Care????  

(Total sarcasm, sorry)
2016-11-3
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

Jeez, I think it's obvious that this was in the US, if so what state so I know where I should be worried.

The worst I've ever had was a lady trying to tell me what I was doing was illegal as I was filming my dogs, and this was 2 years ago with my P2. Luckily I had my friend with me and he got in her face and started threatening to call the cops because she was harassing us, I was so confused but it shut her up.
2016-11-3
Use props
justflie
lvl.2

United States

It's got to be Florida. Everything crazy happens in Florida.
2016-11-3
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

I never understood the drone hate.
2016-11-3
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-11-4 11:20
I never understood the drone hate.

Well I have seen some annoying drone pilots messing with the people on purpose and recording them without their consent. Honestly that is what is giving "dronning" a very bad name :/
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

method007 Posted at 2016-11-3 23:17
That's why I carry a handgun when I fly.  Beyond psychos, you make yourself a mark when you fly solo ...

This is a complete WIND UP this guy posted on another thread that he had just purchased his first drone from Best Buy for delivery after November 30th!!!!!!! HES A WIND UP MERCHANT !!!!!
What he said in Best Buy thread is below.

was at a best buy today and noticed they have a very nice DJI display in the store.  They show a picture of the MAVIC in a very nice display case saying "COMING SOON"   I asked a customer service rep when do they expect to have this new drone in stock.  He looked it up on the computer and said NOV 30th,  He asked me if I would like to place an order now and he would call me when they get in, I placed an order with him.  I AM SO EXCITED THIS WILL BE MY FIRST DRONE.............I love DJi products.
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

What a WALLY!!!!!!!
2016-11-3
Use props
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Damn! I've seen and heard similar stories of hostility towards drone pilots. You'd think we were wearing killer clown outfits or something.

One guy here in NZ had a crazy woman trespass onto the property he had permission to fly over and grabbed the controller from his hands. Luckily he had time to push RTH, Unfortunately the Home point was exactly where the woman was now standing and she then tried to to accuse him of trying to hit her with it..

A gun! FFS! Guess i shouldn't be surprised at someone suggesting carrying a firearm.. But we don't have guns in here so it's much safer to go outside. "drone pilot guns down member of public" would be such a great headline for all of us.. Sigh.
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Droney McDronef Posted at 2016-11-4 00:54
Damn! I've seen and heard similar stories of hostility towards drone pilots. You'd think we were wea ...

It's a wind up
2016-11-3
Use props
70challenger
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-4 08:32
This is a complete WIND UP this guy posted on another thread that he had just purchased his first  ...

You are correct, I remember reading his post as I have pre-ordered from BB. Dont believe this post guys...{:4_157:}
2016-11-3
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Unfortunately friends don't prevent dicks from harassing

2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

70challenger Posted at 2016-11-4 01:02
You are correct, I remember reading his post as I have pre-ordered from BB. Dont believe this post ...

It's the funniest thing ever, he should have been at garage getting window fixed not out shopping at Best Buy .lol
2016-11-3
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-4 09:05
It's the funniest thing ever, he should have been at garage getting window fixed not out shopping  ...

Good catch.

He'll be slithering backwards under the nearest rock.
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-4 01:15
Good catch.

He'll be slithering backwards under the nearest rock.

It was just to funny to be real..
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Droney McDronef Posted at 2016-11-4 00:54
Damn! I've seen and heard similar stories of hostility towards drone pilots. You'd think we were wea ...

Seriously it's a WIND UP,  I like your story though...
2016-11-3
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

I was flying a cheap little Drone  that cost me 70.00 bucks  I did order the DJI drone yesterday at best buy this will be my first drone. I don't consider the drone I  have now a real drone but just a toy.  DJI makes the real deal and I am very excited about the new on they have coming out  I am sorry if I confused you guys................I live in NEVADA.  Whats a windup?.......
2016-11-3
Use props
Shank McGuilicu
lvl.1
United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-4 10:10
I was flying a cheap little Drone  that cost me 70.00 bucks  I did order the DJI drone yesterday at  ...

Can you remind me which ocean you were flying over that boarders nevada?
2016-11-3
Use props
fans74db5aff
lvl.1

United States

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-3 18:05
Unfortunately friends don't prevent dicks from harassing

The dick in this video is the guy filming himself flying his massive wobbly drone over children at a park playground and then acting like a child himself when a father asks him whats up.

There are plenty of examples of jerks bothering a drone operator who's flying safely and unobtrusively. That video isn't one of them.
2016-11-3
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

I am not in Nevada  I am on vacation with the family we are staying in Santa Cruz California  till Sunday.  The weather was beautiful today with temps in the 70's.  I just wanted to share my day with you guys and the mishap I had with a local residence.  I am sorry that some of you took offense to my story ..........
2016-11-3
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

That is so messed up man! What an a-hole that guy is. I hope he's proud of himself running around smashing people's window... all over his perceived danger of your drone. He's so misinformed.

And what he did was super illegal. I suggest you report it to your local PD immediately, and give them as best a description of him as you can. They will probably not catch him, BUT, if another case comes up that he does it to, it will help that case.

I hope people like that get what's coming to them.

Sorry dude!
2016-11-3
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

Thank you I did not call the police I just wanted to get get out of there.  I am not familiar with the area so I just packed my stuff and left.  Lesson learned.............  
2016-11-3
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-4 09:27
It was just to funny to be real..

There was nothing funny about it............why do you find this funny?.... this could have been a serious issue so please be considerate of others.  I was really scared ...
hallmark please stop bothering me.  
2016-11-3
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-4 02:43
There was nothing funny about it............why do you find this funny?.... this could have been a  ...

Footage or it didn't happen.
2016-11-3
Use props
70challenger
lvl.3
Canada

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-4 10:43
There was nothing funny about it............why do you find this funny?.... this could have been a  ...

A windup is like saying, its not a real story. Who's car were you using? Do you have a photo of the smashed window? Your story is hard to believe because you posted in the Mavic forum and you did not state it wasnt a Mavic so we assume that is what you would be flying, but you posted in another thread that you just ordered one from BB.
Now you say it was a toy drone, which is hard to believe for a few reasons like they do not have much range and do not handle wind well and you said you were flying over the ocean but you live in
Nevada. OK, your on vacation somewhere where theres a ocean. Not trying to give you a hard time, just stating the facts. I wouldn't want anyone to be unsafe out there.
2016-11-3
Use props
fans3974ae06
lvl.2

JudgeRoyBean Posted at 2016-11-4 07:32
Is your back window covered by DJI Refresh Care????  

(Total sarcasm, sorry)

This was the funniest comment I have seen on this site
2016-11-3
Use props
fans3974ae06
lvl.2

justflie Posted at 2016-11-4 08:10
It's got to be Florida. Everything crazy happens in Florida.

LMAO @ this 2
2016-11-3
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-3 19:29
I am not in Nevada  I am on vacation with the family we are staying in Santa Cruz California  till S ...

This story gets better by the post.

"He asked me if I would like to place an order now and he would call me when they get in, I placed an order with him."

So you live in Nevada, but you're visiting SC, where you ordered a drone, and he'll call you in Nevada when the Coastal Calif store gets it in stock?
2016-11-3
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-11-3 16:17

Not sure what concerns me most, the thought you have a CWP, or the liklyhood you don't.
2016-11-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft

I flew too high today. Drone lost power when it got out of range but managed to save it on the way down. Landed in the street, the cholos were already making a b line for it on a bike. One guy almost snatched it but I managed to get her up and flying back to me. People suck, it's just the way it is right now. If you fly in a area with a lot of Obamas welfare slaves, that's what you get. No one would do that to your car though imo. That's pretty personal but they will snatch a drone.
2016-11-3
Use props
fansc798bb00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Usually I take an observer now unless I know the area / know there will be no-one around. Bright fluorescent jackets make us look official and less likely to be interfered with or even approached. If I was operating in town I would want at least two others - observer and crowd control.

Even in Scotland people can get funny...
2016-11-3
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

I'm just trying to figure out why you wouldn't call the police if some random dude threatens you (assault) and then smashes your car window (criminal destruction at a minimum I believe).  

Also, the way the original story was told, I have to wonder why you even acknowledged the guy.

Oh, how did he know which car was yours?
2016-11-3
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Why is it obviously the USA we have people with guns in the UK and he might not have had a gun he could have been just saying it.  
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-4 02:29
I am not in Nevada  I am on vacation with the family we are staying in Santa Cruz California  till S ...

Oh dear didn't realize the cat was on the back window, 8 lives left.
2016-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-11-4 02:30
That is so messed up man! What an a-hole that guy is. I hope he's proud of himself running around sm ...

Hi Kevin can't believe people are so gullible, you need to read the post to get the whole story..
2016-11-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules