Follow Me not working
12Next >
4267 55 2016-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9096115f
lvl.1

United States

Looking for a little help here.  I can't seem to get the Follow Me function to work.  When I launch my P3P up, switch to F-Mode and select Follow me feature, the drone just hovers.   I have tested out the POI and Waypoints and they seem to work fine.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why Follow Me doesn't seem to be working.
2016-11-4
Use props
fansc9b86a77
lvl.1

United States

Hi. First you need to be using a device that can use cell data and GPS. Like your cell phone. Using a wifi only tablet won't do. It has to connect to cell data and GPS.
2016-11-4
Use props
fans9096115f
lvl.1

United States

fansc9b86a77 Posted at 2016-11-5 01:35
Hi. First you need to be using a device that can use cell data and GPS. Like your cell phone. Using  ...

I tried it with both my LG G5 cell phone and my LG Gpad 10.1.  Both devices have GPS and Cell Data service.  

I've watch some tutorials on Youtube, and the only difference I can see is that my app is not asking me if I want the drone home point to be "My Position or Origin".  I click apply, and the App looks like it should be working, but when I drive away, the drone just continues to hover in the location.  I got as far as almost 1/4 mile away and the drone never moved.  
2016-11-4
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

I also have noted that my Follow me function does not seem to work, it may be that the Cell can't do Cell and WiFi at the same time, perhaps the GPS function on my Motorola is that way as well. Don't know. I will try something else next time, POI seems to work fine, I've also noticed that mine lands wherever it feels like it when I use RTH...
2016-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans9096115f Posted at 2016-11-5 04:49
I tried it with both my LG G5 cell phone and my LG Gpad 10.1.  Both devices have GPS and Cell Data ...

'but when I drive away, the drone just continues to hover in the location.'

It is quite possible that your phone is not able to receive GPS signals reliably inside a car. This is not unusual, as the GPS receivers on phones are pretty poor. If the phone is not receiving GPS properly, the co-ordinates of the phone (and therefore the RC unit) cannot be trasmitted to the aircraft, hence it will jusat hover in one place. Try walking around with it instead.
2016-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-5 11:55
I also have noted that my Follow me function does not seem to work, it may be that the Cell can't do ...

'I've also noticed that mine lands wherever it feels like it when I use RTH... '

This is normal if the aircraft is within 20 Metres of where it took off from.
2016-11-4
Use props
fans09250969
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem with my Samsung Tab A tablet.  I did a search of different forums and discovered that many people with Android devices have this issue.  If your tablet is not on the supported list, it likely won't work.

I used my IPhone 6 as a test and the Follow Me function worked perfectly.

So, I think it is a firmware issue with DJI.
2016-11-5
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

Interesting, thanks for the info fans09250969.

I am getting a loan of an ipad mini 2 this afternoon and will test this to see if it does in fact work on iOS.

2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9096115f Posted at 2016-11-4 07:49
I tried it with both my LG G5 cell phone and my LG Gpad 10.1.  Both devices have GPS and Cell Data ...

Aloha fans,

Aside from the suggestions Geebax made (like test outside the car first), Android devices us the term "Location" and "Location Services" to enable GPS.  Be sure you are allowing your location to be used.

Also, and this is often lost on early Android users, the new operating systems allow the use of your Android to make payments at the check stand by being close to the stores payment device.  Because of security, this option has to be enabled in settings.  It is something like "allow communication with close devices".  Your Android device is right next to your remote controller, so security requires that you enable that option or the service will not be allowed.  Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-4 14:55
I also have noted that my Follow me function does not seem to work, it may be that the Cell can't do ...

Aloha kerry,

Put your cell on Airplane mode.  You do not need cell to fly "Follow Me".  It can cause problems.  I have a Samsung tablet without cell and fly "Follow Me" just fine as long as I have GPS, "Location" (or "Location Services") enabled and "Communicate with close devices" enabled.  (See the reason in my earlier post.)

Geebax has got you covered with the RTH landings explanation.  Also, be sure you have "Return to Home" chosen in the RTH options and not "Land" or "Hover".

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansc9b86a77 Posted at 2016-11-4 07:35
Hi. First you need to be using a device that can use cell data and GPS. Like your cell phone. Using  ...

Aloha fansc,

That may not be true.  I have no cell on my Samsung tablet and have WiFi enabled and "Follow Me" works just fine as long as GPS, "Locations" (or "Location Services") is enabled and also have "Communicate with close devices" enabled.  (Explanation in an earlier post.)

Cell has other benefits, but when actively flying, it is best to have your device in "Airplane Mode".  That way your device processor is not bogged down should a phone call come in.  That phone call has been known to disconnect the system or even shut down the DJI GO app.

It does seem to help when DJI GO app and firmware updates and upgrades are required though.  When that happens, I have to use my Samsung cell phone instead of my tablet.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans09250969 Posted at 2016-11-4 23:50
I have the same problem with my Samsung Tab A tablet.  I did a search of different forums and discov ...

Aloha fans0,

The "Follow Me" issue is not a firmware issue and it is not a non-compliant device issue.  It is an Android issue that is easily fixed.  I use a non-compliant Galaxy TAB Pro 10.1 tablet without cell but with WiFi and GPS and "Follow Me' works just fine as long as I enable the right services.  See my other posts above for those settings.

The critical setting is to enable "Communicate with close devices" and is explained in one of the posts above.  Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FuZZyPiLOT Posted at 2016-11-5 00:17
Interesting, thanks for the info fans09250969.

I am getting a loan of an ipad mini 2 this afternoon ...

Aloha FuZZy,

Sorry, but it is 1:30 AM and I am almost knocked out.  Please see my other posts above for an explanation of the "Follow Me" issue with Android devices.  Some of the information also applies to iOS devices.  The problem is easily solved as long as you use the right settings.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

Airplane mode made ZERO difference, Location is active, I can see where DJI Go Accessed the information but it still just sat there and hovered....  Location mode set to high accuracy... no difference...

2016-11-5
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Get the Autopilot app. It works great on that.
2016-11-5
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

I don't own any Apple Devices, I have Android, so I got the Litchi App and it works well on that tested out that and waypoints and it is very easy to setup...  DJI go still won't follow me... Oh Well.
2016-11-5
Use props
fans09250969
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-5 18:55
Aloha fans,

Aside from the suggestions Geebax made (like test outside the car first), Androi ...

I have a Samsung Tab A and Follow Me does not work.  I have confirmed that the "location method" is GPS and Wifi, but I don't see anywhere that I can set the device to communicate with close devices?  Can you elaborate where this is?
2016-11-5
Use props
fans73c6bd09
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all can I follow on a question here on follow me mode
I can't get the follow me to work even on the simulator I am using an I pad that is about 3 years old any ideas
Thanks Andrew
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-5 06:05
Airplane mode made ZERO difference, Location is active, I can see where DJI Go Accessed the informat ...

Aloha kerry,

Yes, that is good but you have forgotten the most important setting - "Communicate with a Nearby Device".

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-5 10:03
I don't own any Apple Devices, I have Android, so I got the Litchi App and it works well on that tes ...

Aloha kerry,

The most important setting is "Communicate with a Nearby Device".  You have to enable it or "Follow Me" will not work.  Look at what I wrote way up top in this thread.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans09250969 Posted at 2016-11-5 12:36
I have a Samsung Tab A and Follow Me does not work.  I have confirmed that the "location method" i ...

Aloha fans0,

The most important setting is "Communicate with a Nearby Device".  You have to enable it or "Follow Me" will not work.  Look at what I wrote way up top in this thread.

If you have enabled "Developer Options", you should have this available.  It is usually at the bottom of the first page on Settings.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans73c6bd09 Posted at 2016-11-5 13:21
Hi all can I follow on a question here on follow me mode
I can't get the follow me to work even on  ...

Aloha fans7,

The most important setting is "Communicate with a Nearby Device".  You have to enable it or "Follow Me" will not work - even in the simulator.  Look at what I wrote way up top in this thread.  

If you have "Developer Options", you can usually find it at the bottom of the first page.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

No such option on my Android as "Communicate with nearby device". there is no "Developer Options" in ANY menu on the device.  Device is Running Android 5.1.1
Again Litchi seems to work just fine, so I have to presume there is something with DJI Go that won't allow it to work. There is a USB Developer Option but this has nothing to do with USB...
Even if there is no such Nearby Device option within that menu...  Meh I like Litchi so far! LOL!
2016-11-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-6 09:30
No such option on my Android as "Communicate with nearby device". there is no "Developer Options" in ...

For most Android phones, you would would have to unlock Developer options by tapping on your "About Phone" icon about 6-7 times. You should be able to Google your phone's specific instructions on this.
2016-11-5
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-5 20:50
For most Android phones, you would would have to unlock Developer options by tapping on your "Abou ...

I was able to get to that menu through the DJI menu... Developer options... same menu as going through the about phone nonsense... still no option for Comm with nearby whatever... doesn't matter. I just noted that it didn't work... I figure it is a problem with my phone or with the DJI app, since the Litchi App DOES work, I presume it is the DJI app not playing well with my device... no worries.
2016-11-5
Use props
fans73c6bd09
lvl.1

Australia

You all keep talking about android what about mac I can't see anything about using my I pad with Dji go
Help please
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kerry0 Posted at 2016-11-5 16:25
I was able to get to that menu through the DJI menu... Developer options... same menu as going thr ...

Aloha kerry,

Well, if you do not want to solve your problem - that is your choice.  But, apparently you have not enabled Developer Options.  When you do enable Developer Options, you are able to control much more of your Android device than you do now - like fly "Follow Me" missions in the DJI GO app.

The "Communicate with Nearby Devices" is usually at the bottom of the first page.  You can always check with your Android Operating System to see how you enable it.  The DJI GO app can only play well with your device when you let it play well.  You are the problem, not the software.  Remember that.  In the future, it will solve a lot of your problems.  After all, that is how it works with me.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans73c6bd09 Posted at 2016-11-5 16:55
You all keep talking about android what about mac I can't see anything about using my I pad with Dji ...

Aloha Andrew,

Sorry about all that Android talk.  Yes, we need to address your problem.  Do you know what version of the Operating System for your iPAD you are using?  You have to be using iOS 8.0 or later for your device to be a "Compliant" device.  If your device is non-compliant due to age, you may need to get yourself a newer device.

On the upside of that problem are many very good contributors to this forum who can help you in getting a good device that will work for you without breaking your pocketbook.  Look into it and see what is the best way to approach your problem.  With Android devices we know very well how to approach the problem.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-5
Use props
Hafiz MY
lvl.1

Malaysia

I had same problem with DJI GO app (latest version) for follow me mode. I solved this by using Litchi app work perfectly. Just wondering why DJI GO app not working follow me mode but Litchi app work.
2016-11-5
Use props
Hafiz MY
lvl.1

Malaysia

Latest version DJI GO app not working Follow Me mode. I downgrade to 2.9.1 and everything work fine. Now I can enjoy using follow me mode.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans09250969
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-6 08:09
Aloha fans0,

The most important setting is "Communicate with a Nearby Device".  You have to  ...

I was able to enable the developer options and when through that list pretty exhaustively and can't find anything related to "communicate with nearby devices".  I did authorize "Authorize wireless display devices" but I doubt that is it.  I have also Googled "Android Communicate with Nearby Devices" and nothing significant comes up.  The only threads that come up are DJI forum comments on follow me not working!

Are you sure the option is called "communicate with nearby devices"?  Also, why would it be able to communicate with nearby devices using the Litchi app but not the DJI Go app?
2016-11-6
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Ireland

I can confirm the same as fans09250969 that there doesn't seem to be a "communicate with nearby devices" anywhere in the Developer menu.

My iOS test was a wash out this weekend with totally shitty weather all weekend

2016-11-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans09250969 Posted at 2016-11-6 08:49
I was able to enable the developer options and when through that list pretty exhaustively and can't ...

Aloha fans0,

Here is a photo of "Nearby devices" in the Connections Folder of the Settings option of the Android / Samsung operating system.

Aloha and Drone On!
Nearby Devices.jpg
2016-11-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FuZZyPiLOT Posted at 2016-11-6 09:16
I can confirm the same as fans09250969 that there doesn't seem to be a "communicate with nearby devi ...

Aloha FuZZy,

Here is what it looks like on a Samsung Galaxy TAB Pro 10.1.

Aloha and Drone On!
Nearby Devices.jpg
2016-11-6
Use props
fans09250969
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-7 05:40
Aloha FuZZy,

Here is what it looks like on a Samsung Galaxy TAB Pro 10.1.

Thanks!  Mine is under "More connection settings" and it is called "Nearby device scanning" and it was/is turned on.  However, my Follow Me does not work.
2016-11-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans09250969 Posted at 2016-11-6 12:48
Thanks!  Mine is under "More connection settings" and it is called "Nearby device scanning" and it ...

Aloha fans0,

In my case, the option has to be enabled every time you turn on the Android device.  Also, as you can see in the photo, you need to look into each variable to see if your RC is on the Allowed list and not on the Not-allowed list.  If this does not solve your problem, you need to go to Android to get an answer.

What version of DJI GO are you using?  If you are using DJI GO 3.0.1, all bets are off as I have not downloaded that version of DJI GO.  I can only speak to DJI GO 2.9.1 and previous versions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-6
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32323 ft
United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-7 03:03
Aloha fans0,

In my case, the option has to be enabled every time you turn on the Android dev ...

It's probably disabled by default as it can be a potential security risk?

I think the Nearby Devices option basically enables DNLA for file sharing between other DNLA enabled devices. I'm not sure why it would have an effect here though unless the DJi Go app is somehow using DNLA for some reason? It's possible the setting does something more than expected, but as far as I can see it should just be for file sharing.
2016-11-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Weyland_Yutani Posted at 2016-11-6 19:54
It's probably disabled by default as it can be a potential security risk?

I think the Nearby Devic ...

Aloha Weyland,

Yes, I make that comment up in #9 above.  But, good observation on your part none-the-less.

All I know is when I tried "Follow Me" last spring, it would not work.  Then I spent an evening going through the settings of my Galaxy TAB Pro 10.1 and noticed the Nearby Devices setting.  I was real excited to try it the next day - and it worked!  

Of course while walking home so proudly with my drone following me, I went down the driveway for next door where the Botanical Garden is and crashed and burned when I slipped on loose gravel on the gated driveway.  Well, obviously skin heals but drone Remote Controllers do not heal, so I ended up with road-rash protecting the RC and the funniest thing happened.  In the video of the return I went behind a tree to go down the driveway and do my crash and burn.  When I got up and walked again, it was as if nothing happened on the recorded video.  But, my elbow still has the beet red reminder of the slip-up.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-6
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32323 ft
United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-7 06:53
Aloha Weyland,

Yes, I make that comment up in #9 above.  But, good observation on your part  ...

I don't use Android that much I'm more an Apple guy these days so I'm a little out of the loop on some of the newer stuff.

If the setting makes it work then sometimes it's best not to question it too much in case it stops working.

There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from solving a problem and having that eureka moment, hopefully it wasn't dampened too much by the crash and burn on the driveway. At least you saved your remote control and your pride as the drone didn't catch it on video, would have made a quality video though.

Knowing my luck I'd have fell and the drone would have dive bombed on me as I lay on the ground.
2016-11-6
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Belgium

@ Cetaman - What version of Android are you running?

PS: Thanks for the help on this and helping us get it resolved, i appreciate your time and help.
2016-11-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules