Osmo Mobile and iPhone 7 Plus jitters and shakes
9412 16 2016-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone,
I've had my Osmo Mobile for a couple of months.
I use it with an iPhone 7 Plus.
I noticed issues right away, posted on the forum. Been told my DJI to wait for DJI Go App updates etc, firmware updates.
It's been two months and I have not been able to produce any usable footage.
The issue: jitters, shakes, whatever you want to call them.
They happen when walking, but also when standing and filming without moving. They are more visible outside, I guess even a light breeze is enough to create probelms.
At this point it's not the image stabilization (which can be disabled on Filmic Pro, and it's disabled on the DJI app). My feeling is I have a defective unit or that the OSMO Mobile gimbal motors are underpowered to counter an iPhone 7 Plus. On top of that the tele lens on the iPhone 7 Plus is not optically stabilized and still produces jittery footage.
I have been balancing the phone, calibrating the gimbal, updating DJI App, Firmware and Filmic Pro to the lates version, but the results are still pretty bad.
You can check out an average shoot here on youtube:

I called DJI support and they have suggested to send the unit in for repair, before doing so I would like to know if anyone on this forum has been producing stable footage using a Plus size iPhone and the OSMO Mobile...

BTW, I use a regular OSMO and a Mavic regularly, and the footage that comes out of both of them is stellar and I love DJI!

Thx!
Federico
2016-11-4
Use props
fans428f3cfb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

Try a phone without optical image stabilization first.
2016-11-4
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

fans428f3cfb Posted at 2016-11-4 22:16
Try a phone without optical image stabilization first.

I just tried with an old iPhone 4s, similar results. It's just not that stable.
2016-11-5
Use props
fansf491992d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 942231 ft
  • >>>
Canada

OIS is a mechanical feature and can not be disabled by anybody, including Apple, because they never implemented a mechanical piece into the phone that puts the brake on the mechanical OIS. Filmic Pro, like many third party apps, has the ability to turn off Apple's auto or cinematic software-based stabilization. That is all.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans8af42967
lvl.1

fansf491992d Posted at 2016-11-7 10:56
OIS is a mechanical feature and can not be disabled by anybody, including Apple, because they never  ...

There is no official statement from DJI stating that Osmo Mobile will not work with OIS.
2016-11-6
Use props
fansf491992d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 942231 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fans8af42967 Posted at 2016-11-6 22:55
There is no official statement from DJI stating that Osmo Mobile will not work with OIS.

That might be true. But, everybody using an iPhone with OIS on the lens seems to be complaining about jitters, shakes and pulsing. So it can reasonably be concluded that OIS is an issue.
2016-11-7
Use props
SocalBurt
lvl.1

United States

Even though i do not own an Osmo Mobile, i have been keeping up on this forum with the issues before i buy one. WIth that said i just saw a video on youtube where they were shooting on the Osmo Mobile using the zoom lens of the iphone 7 plus which has no OIS and the footage had zero issues. Have you tried shooting using the second lens? I'm curious about this and if it makes a difference.
2016-11-7
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

SocalBurt Posted at 2016-11-7 13:09
Even though i do not own an Osmo Mobile, i have been keeping up on this forum with the issues before ...

Hi,
I tried shooting with the long lens (the 56mm equivalent) in my iPhone 7 Plus. Marginally better results, but still shaky. At home, indoor it's ok, but outside, with a light breeze the Osmo Mobile shakes trying to counter the breeze...
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansf491992d Posted at 2016-11-7 09:58
That might be true. But, everybody using an iPhone with OIS on the lens seems to be complaining ab ...

yes, it is
2016-11-9
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

I'm stuck with a $300 door stop... I would like to return it, even exchange it with some other DJI product. The video that comes out of my iPhone 7 Plus is unusable in conjunction with the OSMO Mobile.
2016-11-15
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I successfully argued a case of the Osmo mobile being not as described with PayPal over this issue. My Osmo is being returned for a full refund.
2016-11-17
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd love to see video of the problem that wasn't shot in a windy environment.  Seems to me that the wind was causing the issue.  Should OSMO be able to compensate for the wind?  I'm not sure.  Maybe so.  But it seems that would be really difficult.  Take any stabilizer and tap on it, I bet you will see the shake.  Same thing with the wind, it acts like some large Nerf boxing glove tapping on the unit.  I think there is only so much a gimbal can do.
2016-11-17
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-11-17 10:48
I'd love to see video of the problem that wasn't shot in a windy environment.  Seems to me that the  ...

Hi,
it's really a breeze, I shot the regular OSMO in far wider conditions and never had an issue...
2016-11-18
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi too... just saying that the vibration seems to rise and fall with the sound of the wind.  Also, the regular OSMO doesn't have a big, heavy, square wind catcher (like a large mobile phone) hanging on its gimbal.  I dunno my friend, sure does seem like this could be a culprit.  Just shoot some footage indoors and let us know if you still see the problem?
2016-11-18
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-11-18 14:14
Hi too... just saying that the vibration seems to rise and fall with the sound of the wind.  Also, t ...

Check this out, no wind today:
2016-11-18
Use props
Klaus W.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

After the recent realeases of IOS12 and DJI GO 3.1.47, today I did a quick comparison of several apps regarding jitter when using an iPhone XS on DJI Osmo Mobile:
Apple and FilMiC Pro are both jittery (4k/24, no matter if stabilization on or off in FilMiC)
DJI GO almost no jitter (4k/30).
2018-11-8
Use props
DerikBW
New
Canada

Has this issue been resolved. I have had the same issue recently with my IPhoneXS
2019-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules