Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic stops moving in Active Track but is still tracking
2125 8 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colonel00
lvl.2

I was watchng this video about the Mavic tracking a guy on a dirt bike.  There are a couple instances but the one just about at 5:00 into the video is pretty obvious.  The Mavic is tracking the bike and then it just stops and almost looks like the front avoidance detects something.  It's still tracking the bike but it no longer moves to follow it.  Eventually it stops tracking with the camera as well.

Can anyone explain this behaviour and what is going on here?

2016-11-5
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

Also, further in the video it sure seems like it's descending as it's following the bike.  I thought the Mavic would only ascend while tracking and it would not descend on its own.
2016-11-5
Use props
GNE8uv8WWHt5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

I would say that the tracking feature still needs some work. I too have seen it loose track of what its tracking and stop.  The tracking feature should lock on better and  be able to track something and only loose it when whatever it's tracking  is far far away from the mavic and at not just a walking pace either. If not this feature is about useless.
2016-11-5
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

Not sure if the guy is tracking the bike ir himself. I've always has success with tracking something with better color contrast and I set my camera settings to manual specially white balance not in auto. Change in ligthing condition seems to affect tracking. Depending on how high the sun is, I have set my white balance between 4300k to 5000k.
2016-11-5
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

Yeah, I'd understand more if it just "lost" him and stopped all together.  However, it clearly is still tracking as it pans right and then left to keep him in the frame.  It just stops flying anywhere.

Also, is anyone else seeing the descending like I am?  If you watch at about 4:00 the Mavic starts about the same height as the gutters of the house.  At around 4:30 when he is in the street, the Mavic is dropping quite a bit isn't it?  Then as it turns and eventually stops around 5:00 it is well below the gutters on the house and almost appears to be below the floor of he garage.

2016-11-5
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

I dont think there is anything wrong at 5:00. The rider sped up and so did the Mavic, then when the rider slowed down and turned the Mavic had to rapidly decelerate to maintain enough distance between it and the rider. Honestly this video is impressive how well it tracks through changing lighting conditions and such. However I do agree that Active Track still needs work.
2016-11-5
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103891 ft

colonel00 Posted at 2016-11-6 06:22
Yeah, I'd understand more if it just "lost" him and stopped all together.  However, it clearly is st ...

My house is on a slope.  So there are terrain variables that need to be considered.  If Terrain Negotiation was also in use with Active Track then the solution would prove to be more effective in the situations I have been in.

The Mavic has a hard time determining "what" I am when selecting my profile.  It doesn't register the motorcycle as a bike, nor does it register me as a human target.  So when my profile changes from the rear shot to a side shot it's best solution is to stop following this polymorphic shape

2016-11-5
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103891 ft

This has been my most successful clip with motorcycles and tracking.

2016-11-5
Use props
Stephenoraw
New

South Africa

Looking at the footage it seems that the active track loses him when the Mavic is forced to go backwards, even slightly. There is a separate set of settings that you have to switch on to allow the mavic to track backwards. Also, at times he may be too far away and the Mavic loses him due to him not being large enough in the picture frame?
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules