Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Explanation of Speed Inconsistency?
1138 10 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

I'm sure many of us have seen the speed test videos for the Mavic, and we all know the official rating is 40mph in sport mode, so how can DJI explain the discrepency of several videos that show the Mavic hitting ~60mph+ in more than one direction? Obviously wind is not a factor if it can achieve that speed in opposite directions. Is there a software issue that is causing this? That seems unlikely, since there are videos that show the Mavic hitting about 42 mph at full throttle. I've searched around and cannot find any response from DJI. I look forward to getting mine and have my State Trooper buddy see if he can clock it with his radar gun.
2016-11-6
Use props
trance728
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's one of the original speed videos where has was flying over water and along the road where it was showing 60mph on his phone but wasn't keeping up with traffic on a 55mph road.

He wrote an update in the comments section after playing with it more that the remote is displaying to real speed but the phone is showing kph but says mph. 40mph = 64.3kph
2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Of course wind is a factor, it's a huge factor to how your Mavic performs.
2016-11-6
Use props
Mooney
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-6 07:39
Of course wind is a factor, it's a huge factor to how your Mavic performs.

Wind is THE factor.

Drones don't have an airspeed indicator, meaning the flow of air passing over isn't measured.  

Instead it uses gps to determine its speed across the GROUND, not AIR.

An example, if you had a 20mph wind out of the North, and you headed that direction at max speed (assuming 40 mph), your indicated airspeed would be 20mph. Reverse course and head South now your indicating 60mph.

Keep in mind that max speed, service ceiling, climb rate are based on specific conditions. Weight, battery strength, temperature, altitude and humitity all impact actual performance.  
2016-11-6
Use props
trance728
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The OP was saying wind was not a factor because the videos were showing 60mph in more than one direction on the same flight.
2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-6 15:51
Wind is THE factor.

Drones don't have an airspeed indicator, meaning the flow of air passing over  ...

Good answer thanks for that..
2016-11-6
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

Mooney Posted at 2016-11-6 10:51
Wind is THE factor.

Drones don't have an airspeed indicator, meaning the flow of air passing over  ...

If wind is THE factor, how can a video that shows similar speeds in one direction AND the exact opposite direction?
2016-11-6
Use props
trance728
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-11-6 13:10
If wind is THE factor, how can a video that shows similar speeds in one direction AND the exact op ...

This I why I was remarking that the app was showing KPH and not MPH, even though it was listed as MPH. Were any of the videos actually using radar or were they all going off of what the speed showed in the app?
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

EXPLANATION:

1) OLD firmware
2) DJI GO app showed incorrect speeds consistent with KPH
3) Remote Controller showed correct MPH
2016-11-6
Use props
CW Hobbies
lvl.4

United States

I posted a topic on this.
My controller says the right mph speed, but app says faster, like it's kph, and i have everything set to mph.
I just noticed it today while flying, i usually only look at the app, but i was looking at controller screen and noticed the 2 speeds were different!
Anybody else notice the difference while flying? Look at both screens, and see if they're different like mine.
2016-11-6
Use props
ezdrew430
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

My P4 frequently goes 50mph, even in calm weather and flying opposite directions. Even though 45 is superposed to be top speed.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules