Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile motor very hot
13418 15 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
usere90bc82d66
lvl.1
United States

Hi, Bought my Osmo Mobile in the Apple store just over 2 weeks ago and have just been testing it . . . I have a few issues, I'll put the others in seperate threads but the first one is that the motor (the one that faces the back of the phone) is getting VERY hot during use, so hot in fact that i can't touch it for more than a few seconds.

I have also had some frequent issues of getting a message that the gimbal has reached the edge and then it just flops over, I double click the trigger and it comes back but it still seems to be that it should not to this during normal use. I have the iPhone 7 inside Apple's own silicoine case mounted to the Osmo. I mention that in case it's related to the hot motor?

Do you think there is any problem with this heating or this this normal?

Thanks

2016-11-6
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, if you just bought it, I suggest you contact Apple to have a direct exchange, if not please contact DJI via www.dji.com/support and choose online chat, and send it in for an exchange. Thank you.
2016-11-7
Use props
harrismix
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-7 06:15
Hi, if you just bought it, I suggest you contact Apple to have a direct exchange, if not please cont ...

I bought it just over 2 weeks ago . . . .
2016-11-7
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.1
United States

harrismix Posted at 2016-11-7 08:01
I bought it just over 2 weeks ago . . . .

So hot motors is an indication you should stop using the osmo?  I am curious since I am able to use a USB portable battery with mines and only been using it in spurts of a few minutes, and it's only been warm to the touch which I think is normal wear.  

I didn't try an extended use test yet - just leave it on and carry it around until the battery goes out.  As long as it's just warm that should be ok?  
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2016-11-7 23:20
So hot motors is an indication you should stop using the osmo?  I am curious since I am able to us ...

merely getting hot is not abnormal, it's the issue that the gimbal flips over sometimes, it means the gimbal is overloaded.  This units rotor might be defective
2016-11-9
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

If I may...I had the hot motor issue a while back. The fan was not working. I just flicked my finger on the side of it a couple times and the fan started working and I havent had a problem since. Just check and see if your fan kicks in when using...hope this helps
2016-11-9
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.1
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2016-11-9 07:56
If I may...I had the hot motor issue a while back. The fan was not working. I just flicked my finger ...

I don't think the osmo mobile has a fan?
2016-11-9
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.1
Hong Kong

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2016-11-10 08:35

that surprises me too!!
2016-11-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2016-11-9 19:35

It doesn't, he probably means Osmo
2016-11-9
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2016-11-9 16:35

I'm sooo sorry...I thought you were talking about OSMO...my bad.
2016-11-16
Use props
jordie84
lvl.1

Australia

Im having the same exact issue too.
2016-11-19
Use props
JohnPaine
New

United States

jordie84 Posted at 2016-11-19 02:28
Im having the same exact issue too.

I have a new Osmo Mobile and have two issues. First, I am using an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +) and it got extremely hot when I put it in the Osmo Mobile. Has anyone figured out why this happens or how to correct it?

Secondly, the thumb screw on the extension arm is completely seized. I have not tried pliers yet, but cannot loosen this screw manually. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2017-1-27
Use props
mxcoppell
New

United States

I just got my OSMO Mobile and the motor got extremely hot (not touchable) after 1 or 2 minutes of use. I don't think that's normal. The OSMO Mobile is going back to Amazon.
2017-3-7
Use props
harrismix
lvl.1
United States

I sold mine in the end . . .
2017-7-15
Use props
atc
New
United States

Solution:
I know this is old but I just got my Osmo Mobile and had the same heat issue.  I wanted to offer my solution.  You need to balance your phone.  there is a small knob on the arm that allows you to adjust how your phone sits in the gimbal.  you need to set that to where your phone is balanced when the Osmo is off.  Not leaning over to one side.  If it is out of balance than the motor is forced to work overtime just to keep it balanced, thus it generates a lot of heat.  Hope this helps out some others that have the same issue.
2018-1-2
Use props
Realtorshawn
lvl.1

Canada

atc Posted at 2018-1-2 07:20
Solution:
I know this is old but I just got my Osmo Mobile and had the same heat issue.  I wanted to offer my solution.  You need to balance your phone.  there is a small knob on the arm that allows you to adjust how your phone sits in the gimbal.  you need to set that to where your phone is balanced when the Osmo is off.  Not leaning over to one side.  If it is out of balance than the motor is forced to work overtime just to keep it balanced, thus it generates a lot of heat.  Hope this helps out some others that have the same issue.

That makes sense.... I noticed my osmo getting hot as well and also the flopping issue after I threw on the case. I have a note 9.  I am going to take the case off and see if this issue happens again and I will let you guys know with an update. I will also watch to see if it gets hot.... the part that got hot on mine was where the adjustable arm is the circular part...

Ill keep you guys posted.
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules