Is Mavic Airworthy?
12Next >
4328 55 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

With numerous reports of Mavics becoming unresponsive due to uncommanded left stick inputs causing crashes and injury, we can say there is either a fault present in some or all units shipped, since several of these incidents exhibit the same characteristics of loss of control.
If I now fly and experience a malfunction, and then come down on a motorway or some children, I could potentially be entirely liable for behaving recklessly in a court of law, since it is well known that some units are malfunctioning.

I fly responsibly. I assess the conditions, I look for obstacles and safety hazards. I check my equipment thoroughly. I rely on any self-checks that the equipment performs. I don't use poor quality or damaged equipment.

However I have no way of judging if a Mavic is highly reliable. I see reports of malfunctions. I even see polls in these forums where a large percentage of those participating in the survey have equipment issues.
I realise all consumer equipment has some failure rate, and normally this fine, but with a semi-autonomous flying machine with four rotating "knives" on the top, the likelihood of damage or injury in the event of failure is substantial. This is serious stuff. Is the Mavic airworthy or is any operator taking a serious risk every time they fly?

On behalf of all responsible DJI customers, I'm asking:

Can we have formal assurance that the cause of the recent malfunctions has been acknowledged, identified and rectified?

Presently I don't see and evidence that the reports of malfunction have been taken seriously. They are simply acknowledged and then we hear no more.
Customers need to know what has caused the malfunctions and whether we are affected.

Was it just user error - if so can the user error be explained so others can avoid the same error?

2016-11-6
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

I missed the report pf any mavic causing injury, please share
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

A user reported in this forum that his Mavic went unresponsive and was exhibiting uncommanded inputs. He managed to get it to RTH but not to the correct location and it started coming down into his pool. He did a hand catch and badly injured his hand.
2016-11-6
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

RAVEN7 Posted at 2016-11-7 07:27
I missed the report pf any mavic causing injury, please share

There was someone who tried to hand catch his Mavic as it was landing uncontrollably in his pool and cut his hand up pretty bad, but no I haven't seen any Mavics injure anyone other than their operator. However with how many uncontrolled crashes we're seeing (there was yet another one posted only a half hour before this thread), it's only a matter of time before someone gets injured because an out of control Mavic.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans53ebb519
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612858 ft
United States

I had a problem day one with the yaw becoming stuck and had to bring it in for a rough landing. Ever since that time I've had no additional incidents. I've added about 4hrs additional flight time as of now. My Mavic is very air worthy. Contemplating buying another one once the initial rush to buy one dies down.

To keep it simple. I really enjoy the Mavic.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

fans53ebb519 Posted at 2016-11-7 10:36
I had a problem day one with the yaw becoming stuck and had to bring it in for a rough landing. Ever ...

So you know what caused that yaw problem and it has been resolved?

If not, I'd argue your Mavic is definitely not Airworthy and should not be flown.
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

I am in the same boat. I'd like to get a Mavic, but I can't buy one in good faith with so many people having problems with them which could hurt someone. If I get hurt, my bad, but I can't knowingly fly an aircraft that might hurt someone else. Not to mention I don't want to spend another grand on DJI product to watch it not respond to input and crash... Perhaps in a few months they will have these issues figured out.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

fans53ebb519 Posted at 2016-11-7 07:36
I had a problem day one with the yaw becoming stuck and had to bring it in for a rough landing. Ever ...

What did you do after the first issue?  Redo any calibrations?
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

He says "To keep it simple. I really enjoy the Mavic." which sounds like he's a very happy customer though, perhaps support helped him resolve the problem so it's safe to use again?

2016-11-6
Use props
fans53ebb519
lvl.3
United States

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-6 18:40
So you know what caused that yaw problem and it has been resolved?

If not, I'd argue your Mavic i ...

No idea what caused it. Maybe my initial RC calibration wasn't done well enough. Maybe My IOS on my iPhone glitched. Don't know I'm not a quad copter engineer. But after the initial issue i slowly worked with it. One issue on day one. About 15 sec out of 4 hrs of flight time. I'm not call it non flight worthy.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-7 11:14
I am in the same boat. I'd like to get a Mavic, but I can't buy one in good faith with so many peopl ...

I'm still waiting for mine, but when it comes, is it safe to fly? What percentage of units are malfunctioning and what's the cause / resolution?
2016-11-6
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

As much as I don't want to spend an additional $100 on care refresh, looks like it would be a good idea at this point. I know forums are magnets for bad news because most of the happy customers are out flying and not typing. Id just feel better (peace of mind) having it. Would rather spend that on an extra battery though.
2016-11-6
Use props
0sarc0
lvl.2

Australia

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 07:31
A user reported in this forum that his Mavic went unresponsive and was exhibiting uncommanded inputs ...

Unfortunate for him but he really should not have tried to catch it.
I took mine up in 40kmh winds and it performed very well. No issues to report so far.
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-6 19:32
I'm still waiting for mine, but when it comes, is it safe to fly? What percentage of units are mal ...

You'll never find out that information from DJI. I have a polls that showed something like 80 users have marked that theirs have shipped and 63 have be received with problems reported. But that should just be used very very roughly (since they are separate polls among other reasons) to see how many have shipped and yes, there seems to be a problem with a fair amount of them.

I'd love DJI to get the problems addressed so I could feel confident ordering one and not feeling like I am just throwing money out the window to possibly hurt someone and/or crash without control.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

fans53ebb519 Posted at 2016-11-7 11:30
No idea what caused it. Maybe my initial RC calibration wasn't done well enough. Maybe My IOS on m ...

Well as long as you're feeling confident, I guess it will never happen again and you will always be in full control.  

DJI have not said to ignore it and it will go away, but then they don't seem to be saying much at all which is, frankly, reckless I think.

2016-11-6
Use props
fans53ebb519
lvl.3
United States

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-6 19:25
He says "To keep it simple. I really enjoy the Mavic." which sounds like he's a very happy customer  ...

No support never helped me. They took to long. Calibrated GPS and RC the next day after thinking about what could've gone wrong. First flight after I sent it up about 10 meters and let it hover  for about ten minutes. Then started doing other moves. Took me about 4 flights to start getting comfortable with it again. Each flight I had my son flying a P3P just in case it did go haywire. Needed a chase plane so to speak.

Every time Ive flown a quad hopter each issue was caused by something ive done. The only one I've hard crashed was PHFC40 that I was modifying internally to control from my computer. The Mavic issue I can not say if it was me who was at fault or a DJI issue. I never just flop a quad hopter in the air. I go through a list of items prayer to spinning up the props. Then keep it near me for 45 sec to a minute to verify Mavic and RC are communicating with one another well.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans53ebb519
lvl.3
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-6 19:17
What did you do after the first issue?  Redo any calibrations?

Redid GPS and RC calibration thoroughly a few times.
2016-11-6
Use props
CW Hobbies
lvl.3

United States

I've had mine almost a week, updated everything, calibrated compass, no problems at all.
I flew up river today 3 miles, no problems, good signal, it's Awesome!!

2016-11-6
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

fans53ebb519 Posted at 2016-11-7 00:54
Redid GPS and RC calibration thoroughly a few times.

GPS calibration?
2016-11-6
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

CW Hobbies Posted at 2016-11-6 19:00
I've had mine almost a week, updated everything, calibrated compass, no problems at all.
I flew up r ...

Must have good eyes to keep LOS that far!
2016-11-6
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

I'm sure someone soon will put together a spreadsheet not only of Mavic crashes and erratic behaviors, but the response from DJI as well.
2016-11-6
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

RAVEN7 Posted at 2016-11-6 16:36
As much as I don't want to spend an additional $100 on care refresh, looks like it would be a good i ...

To use the $100 insurance you need to have the Mavic. If it flies away and you can't find it....oh well
And you have to almost "convince" them it wasnt pilot error from the stories I've been reading about on here and in inspire forums.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

My question for DJI is whether they consider the Mavic to be airworthy.

Obviously, those who's Mavic has not malfunctioned and crashed or flown away seem pretty convinced that theirs is great, but those who's who have been not so lucky say otherwise.

We definitely know that some units have a fault which causes them to lose control - plenty of reports, videos and logs posted already to see that.
We don't know the cause of the problem so in the interest of safety we have to assume that all units have a possibility of serious malfunction.

What is the fault that may affect us and what is being done to resolve it so we can all fly the Mavic knowing with reasonable confidence that the control system won't fail?
2016-11-6
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft

So far I have only read about one comment from DJI about one of the crashes, and they stated it was pilot error. No explanation about how it was pilot error and what he did wrong or what he should have done. I personally don't believe it was pilot error from reading the account, but if it was, they should outline what he did wrong and post it so that we can all learn from it and avoid repeating his mistake.

Don't see that ever happening!
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been flying mine since before introduction.  I have had no issues.  We advise new users to read the manual.  We provide 9 videos to assist them.  There is plenty of advise here on the forum if you have a specific set up questions.  There are plenty of resources.  To comment on every case of user error would prevent us and our service centers from our primary role tech support.  What we have seen is that some, not all users receive their Mavic, charge the battery, sometimes, and fly, indoors, outdoors, without regard for interference, obstacles etc.  When that happens there is not much we can do.  We do offer our new pilot experience where new pilots can learn about safety, preflight checks, and basic flying skills.  It is listed under events at the bottom of our webpage.
2016-11-6
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 07:31
A user reported in this forum that his Mavic went unresponsive and was exhibiting uncommanded inputs ...

Badly injured his finger? I consider badly injured to require stitches/needs to be sown back on. From what I read the medical action was a bandaid.
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 13:48
I have been flying mine since before introduction.  I have had no issues.  We advise new users to re ...

Thanks Ed.

I'm pleased to hear you've experienced no malfunctions, but let's be honest here, its kind of a moot point since even if you did experience a problem you wouldn't be telling us about it would you?

Whilst the majority of Mavic users have not had a bad experience to date, I see multiple posts with similar claims that their Mavic became uncontrollable with strange behaviour being logged - I'd like to know what's caused that, because I don't want that to happen to me.

Are you saying that all malfunction reports to date have just been user error and that's why there's been no explanation from DJI support?

If so, do you know what is the user error that can cause a Mavic to stop responding to user input, then start spinning/position hunting before failing to properly execute a RTH and automated landing?
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-6 20:01
Thanks Ed.

I'm pleased to hear you've experienced no malfunctions, but let's be honest here, its  ...

I did not state that all reports are user error.  Reread my post.  That is why we recommend that users contact dji.com/support for additional follow up.  If they have an issue with the craft or RC then we will repair/replace it under warranty.  I would recommend that if a user has an issue that has not damaged the Mavic that they go back to the manual and videos.  Maybe they missed something the first time.  This may be a first quad for many and what may seem intuitive for an experienced user is foreign to them.  
2016-11-6
Use props
Mavic 395
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2128648 ft
  • >>>

Chaser720 Posted at 2016-11-7 11:58
Badly injured his finger? I consider badly injured to require stitches/needs to be sown back on. F ...

Where did you read that? I consider two stitches and a shattered finger nail down to the bed pretty bad.
2016-11-6
Use props
Mavic 395
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2128648 ft
  • >>>

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 12:10
I did not state that all reports are user error.  Reread my post.  That is why we recommend that u ...

I have sent my Mavic back and they specifically told me DO NOT FLY IT!!! Now why can't I get an explanation why???
2016-11-6
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 09:40
My question for DJI is whether they consider the Mavic to be airworthy.

Obviously, those who's Mavi ...

What I'm really interested in is how many Mavics have had control issues out of the number that they have shipped, or six sigma level
2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 15:10
I did not state that all reports are user error.  Reread my post.  That is why we recommend that u ...

Ed - glad we've cleared that up, so even though you only referred to user error, you were not ruling out equipment failure. I get you.

So, with reference to this well-reported problem whereby the Mavic stops responding to user input resulting in a crash or a poorly executed RTH and bad landing;

Has the cause been identified and when can we expect to see it remedied, because, until that time the safety conscious users among us will opt not to fly - if there's a chance of malfunction that can be avoided it would bee foolish not to stay grounded, right?

2016-11-6
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

2016-11-7
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

There's certainly something not right with that guy's controller. I hope DJI is on the case - I'm sure they are.
2016-11-7
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Well, this person http://forum.dji.com/thread-67922-14-1.html
Has sent his LOG files, has been analysed and DJI have said that they would contact him so he can send in his craft .. his still waiting for 3 days now.
Could be because the people are being very busy, but I'm still very interested in seeing what the final outcome of this investigation is.

2016-11-7
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 06:22
Ed - glad we've cleared that up, so even though you only referred to user error, you were not ruli ...

you have a really nice way of saying this all.
2016-11-7
Use props
usera157b1886f
New

I've had nothing but problems with my Mavic and don't feel comfortable with the system at all.  Initial flight had a number of application crashes making the video useless.  Drone then started to move away from me and I wasn't even touching the control sticks.  Hit the return to home and the Mavic came back but wouldn't land....just hovered at 4 feet until it then decided to land after 10 minutes of hovering.  Never had issues with my P4 and this is extremely disappointing.  

Spoke with DJI service the day it happened and they said a software update was coming and it would be fixed the following week.  Called in this morning and nothing but the suggestion that I switch phones.  Tried to initiate a return for the drone but because I'm seven days outside of the delivery they have said no to a return.  This is the last DJI product I'll be buying.  

2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

usera157b1886f Posted at 2016-11-8 00:24
I've had nothing but problems with my Mavic and don't feel comfortable with the system at all.  Init ...

I'm guessing that you already read the entire manual so you should be familiar with all of the calibration procedures.
First you said  the app kept crashing, what device are you using and is it one of the DJI recommended devices on the Mavic webpage? (see below)

And you said the drone moved away from you without touching the sticks, did you have full GPS lock when you took off and a proper compass calibration? If it had full GPS and proper compass calibration than it should stay in the same spot and not drift away from you. There are a few cases where the the left stick has an issue BUT you would know if you had that issue.

And lastly, you said you tried RTH and the aircraft came back and just hovered then landed 10 minutes later. You must have had the RTH setting set to "HOVER"

What is your email, I would like to look at your last few flight to see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

2016-11-7
Use props
TBird_RainyLake
lvl.2
Flight distance : 283930 ft
United States

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-6 18:38
You'll never find out that information from DJI. I have a polls that showed something like 80 user ...

Hi,  I don't know if mine is on the shipped list but I have over 20 flights with NO issues.  
I did have one not so serious issue.....The bottom clip area on the plastic gimbal cover did break, my bad  
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

usera157b1886f Posted at 2016-11-7 11:24
I've had nothing but problems with my Mavic and don't feel comfortable with the system at all.  Init ...

Sorry you are having problems with your new Mavic.

I guess you know, but purchasing through a retailer will usually give you a longer return period. After finding that out after my first direct purchase, that ensured I will always buy through a retailer in the future. Just because a package arrives doesn't mean someone even has the time to open it within 7 days of delivery let alone ensure a complicated item is 100% solid and doesn't need returned...
2016-11-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules