Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why Can't I Take Off?
1588 3 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

When I was doing that project inside the furniture store the other day, the DJI-GO app would not allow me to take off. Said that I needed ATC clearance before I could fly. I had to switch over to Litchi and power down/up the P4 before I could. I was indoors so I knew I was OK, but when it was all over I checked the sectional charts and saw this (I was in Burlington):

Burlington.jpg

B4UFLY app shows 2 "airports" in my vicinity, the Burlington airport and a medical helipad. OK, but the faded magenta circle on the right indicates that class E airspace around the Burlington airport begins at 700 ft and below that is class G. Believe me, I've been round and round and round this airspace question many times when I was studying for the 107 test (and years ago for my PP test), and now DJI-GO is making me revisit this to check on my understanding. I found this, a transcript from a webinar given recently by an FAA guy:

Q-62. If I am flying within 5 miles of an airport, what do I need to do?
Kevin Morris’ answer: For airports which reside in Class G airspace, Part 107 has no requirement for you to notify anyone.As mentioned, it is considered a best practice to alert the airport operator. If that airport is located within Class B, C, D, or E SFC, you need ATC authorization

I included in my picture the airport on the left (GSO) which shows class E airspace from the surface to 5000 ft. Over there, I would need clearance. But in Burlington?

So why can't I fly?

2016-11-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There may be inaccuracies within the 'Geo' system, you could always try switching it off in DJI Go.
With all connected and powered up Go into 'General Settings' menu, scroll down and you should be able to toggle 'GEO System' on/off.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

For further information, I'd sugges you to contact flysafe@dji.com. They may be able to assist you.
2016-11-7
Use props
fans631411c1
lvl.3

FAA Rules says you can't fly within 5 miles of any airport even if it's Class G
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules