Camera tracking
1199 2 2015-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MvH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have seen drones that are able to follow somone if that person is wearing a specific fob/wristband or even a mobile device. This is great to always stay in picture while moving around (e.g. during skiing, surfing, driving a car/bike/motorcycle). While this does not require someone to actually fly the drone, it's pretty limiting as you can really only use it in very open spaces. On the ski slopes it's not possible as there are trees and the drone will likely crash into one of them.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Instead of having the drone following you, how about having the camera following it's target at all times. For example DJI could develop a fob or link it to a mobile device, where the person wearing that fob would always be the "target" of the camera no matter what the pilot is doing with the Inspire. Technically this should be quite easy (within some distance limitation). This would allow one person to follow the the "target", fly around it, overtake it, but the camera would keep it always in focus. I know the same can be achieved with a second remote (which I have), but that requires a second person and the reflexes (hand-eye-coordination) of a second person will never be as good/fast/precise as an electronic signal to a gimbal.

I mentioned that to the DJI crew at the CES and they liked the idea..... If they don't do it, it would be great if with the release of APIs someone elese could do it.

My preference would be to do it via a fob or wrist band as they could be made water proof (most users may not have a second mobile device as that may be in use as screen with the remote.

Any thoughts?

2015-2-7
Use props
NomadicFlight
lvl.1

United States

Yea, sounds like the AirDog concept that was released through kickstarter not a while back. Its an excellent suggestion for the inspire to incorporate this feature. I just hope every one would use it wisely; had it come out.
2015-2-7
Use props
MvH
lvl.1

Switzerland

There is not much risk in using it as it's only the camera following you. The Inspire still needs to be flown by someone.
2015-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules