Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery temperature?
11482 24 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1909 ft

I got this msg 1/2 H ago
IMG_8795.PNG
2016-11-7
Use props
Enkeixpress
Second Officer
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Must be pretty cold where you're flying since it's near December. It's very cold and windy here in the United Kingdom, unsuitable flight conditions.
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Might help if you let us what temp you are operating in, or where battery was stored .
2016-11-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yea, these batteries LOVE heat believe it or not.  Well not heat, but warmth.  It is not uncommon to use a hand warmer in the same pocket as a couple drone batteries.  Not only are these Lithium Polymer but they are high-performance (faster charge/discharge rates), so the chemicals need warmth to move properly.

After T/O (take-off), hover for 1 minute to warm everything up just like a petrol car in cold conditions.
2016-11-7
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1909 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-8 01:31
Might help if you let us what temp you are operating in, or where battery was stored .

I brought the Mavic with me to work was in the car while morning . It was cold out . 45F
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

F.C Drone City  Posted at 2016-11-7 19:05
I brought the Mavic with me to work was in the car while morning . It was cold out . 45F

Yeah that was probably the reason, it's good to know you get the warning. Thanks for posting.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

For your flight safety, please warm up the battery before you flight.
2016-11-7
Use props
JH3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 688894 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-8 09:51
For your flight safety, please warm up the battery before you flight.

On the other end of the heat scale... I'm from western australia. And it'll probably be the peak of summer by the time i get my drone.  And its basically black which absorbs heat, and most days in summer are 33-38 degrees centigrade.  I notice the upper limit for the battery is 40C?  what happens then.  Because it will be above that often when flying in direct sunlight and being on top of the drone unshaded.?

2016-11-7
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-8 14:10
On the other end of the heat scale... I'm from western australia. And it'll probably be the peak o ...

Ice brick with occy straps...mwahaha SORRY...NOT FUNNY..its actually a good question. Im on the other side 1hr north of Brissy and today its 36c and only going to get hotter. I also wonder how the batteries will handle it!!
2016-11-7
Use props
Enkeixpress
Second Officer
Flight distance : 297497 ft

There needs to be a portable battery heater for the Mavic Pro. There's one for the Phantom 3. Uses the power of the flight battery to warm it up while it's plugged into its compartment. Works well from what I've heard, with it reaching optimum temperature in 5-10 mins. Not sure if it works for the Phantom 4 neither.

Early days for the Mavic Pro. Let's see what comes in the future.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-8 12:10
On the other end of the heat scale... I'm from western australia. And it'll probably be the peak o ...

The Operating Temperature of the battery is from -10° to 40° C.
I'd suggest you to keep an eye on the battery settings from DJI GO app.
If the temperature gets too high to fly, app will warning you.
2016-11-7
Use props
JH3
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-8 14:10
The Operating Temperature of the battery is from -10° to 40° C.
I'd suggest you to keep an eye o ...

ok, thats good to know. So the dji go app shows battery temp?
At what temp does it give warnings?
At what temp does it catch fire/explode/force landing?
The only thing i can find in the manual with advice to being too hot is the charger won't charge a hot battery. And will resume once it's cooled if i read it correctly.

2016-11-8
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-8 17:03

Hi JH3,

No indication on max allowable in-use battery temperature can yet be found relating to the Mavic Pro from any of the manual, safety guidelines nor official DJI web site. We may, however, make reference to the Inspire 1 battery and Phantom 3 battery to get some clues, because all these batteries are adopting similar Li-Po chemistry. The core temperature of the battery can be accessed from the battery status page in the DJI GO App. Remember, it is absolutely normal for a battery getting warmer than the ambient temperature when in use.

Inspire 1 TB47 battery operable ambient temperature -10 deg C to 40 deg C; max in-use battery temperature 71 deg C; battery chargeable temperature range 0 deg C to 40 deg C.

Inspire 1 TB48 battery operable ambient temperature -10 deg C to 40 deg C; max in-use battery temperature 71 deg C; battery chargeable temperature range 5 deg C to 40 deg C.

Phantom 3 PH3 battery operable ambient temperature -10 deg C to 40 deg C; max in-use battery temperature 71 deg C; battery chargeable temperature range 0 deg C to 40 deg C.

Mavic Pro FB1 battery operable ambient temperature -10 deg C to 40 deg C @ Mavic Pro battery safety guideline (5 deg C to 40 deg C @ DJI web site); max in-use battery temperature ?? deg C; battery chargeable temperature range 5 deg C to 40 deg C.

In HK, ambient temperature in a summer day usually goes up to 33 deg C, with Inspire 1 Pro's TB48 in-use battery temperature often reaches up to 62 deg C. No significant degrading of battery has been noted so far.

Given the small size of the Mavic Pro hence faster heat dissipation, even with a high ambient temperature of 40 deg C one can hardly push the Mavic Pro to such a state with a battery core temperature close to 71 deg C.

Henry

2016-11-8
Use props
JH3
lvl.1
Australia

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2016-11-8 23:09
Hi JH3,

No indication on max allowable in-use battery temperature can yet be found relating to the ...

Thanks for that Henry, i feel less concerned now and won't panic when i see 50+ temps.
2016-11-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-8 17:03

DJI GO app can detect the temperature of the battery's surface.
When it gives the warnings, please finish your flight as soon as possible.
2016-11-9
Use props
JH3
lvl.1
Australia

Twice, I've had my mavic switch to ATTI mode for no apparent reason. Both times its been out in the open, at height away from buildings with not a single cloud in the sky, also near the end of my flight with 30-40% battery left on very hot days. Both times I've had excellent GPS signal and 15+ satellites the whole flight, including when it switches to ATTI.  The battery at the end of todays flight was 60.4c

Is there any chance the GPS dropouts has anything to do with high temperature?

2016-11-25
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-26 04:05
Twice, I've had my mavic switch to ATTI mode for no apparent reason. Both times its been out in the  ...

Something I'm going to do to the batteries in summer, is put a white decal on it. The grey color is make it warmer in the sun. White should help a bit. Might be worth a try.
And put a black decal on it in winter. Sun will help warm it up quicker.
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-11-26 13:35
Something I'm going to do to the batteries in summer, is put a white decal on it. The grey color is ...

I don't think a decal will make a difference on the internal temperature of the battery.
Now if left out for a length of time it may, but probably not enough to make a difference.
2016-11-25
Use props
Great_Cookie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391512 ft
Malaysia

Had only one instance in my 15 or so flights where immediately after the flight (and for 10min after) I couldn't charge the one of my batteries at all - both the charging hub and battery were flashing red when I attempted to charge it.

Did freak me out for a while there - with thoughts of a defective battery.

After I let it cool down (abt the 15min mark) everything went back to normal - and I haven't seen a repeat of this behaviour since. I put it down to an overheated battery and probably the onboard management systems trying to stop me from doing further damage to it.

Temperature over here (Singapore/Malaysia) is ~33 degrees Celsius and the flight in question was during a sunny morning.
2016-11-26
Use props
Crusader
lvl.1

Netherlands

Great_Cookie Posted at 2016-11-26 10:08
Had only one instance in my 15 or so flights where immediately after the flight (and for 10min after ...

If you take the time to read the ****ing manual it states:
"Temperature Detection: The battery will only charge when the temp. is between 5C (41F) and 40C (104F)."
So totally normal battery response!
2016-11-26
Use props
fschilder
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2016-11-8 10:09
Hi JH3,

No indication on max allowable in-use battery temperature can yet be found relating to the ...

Just read the manual (pg 56)
2016-11-26
Use props
JH3
lvl.1
Australia

fschilder Posted at 2016-11-27 03:36
Just read the manual (pg 56)

Dear fschilder, go back to school. Pay particular attention on the days they talk about reading comprehension.

No where in the manual does it discuss what is an acceptable battery temperature to fly with other than it being too cold being an issue. It does talk about how hot a battery can be during charging. It does talk about operating temps for the controller and the mavic aircraft. It doesn't say what to do when you start a flight with a battery below the 40 degree recommended temp, but during the flight the battery gets up to 60 degrees centigrade.
2016-11-27
Use props
fschilder
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-27 07:17
Dear fschilder, go back to school. Pay particular attention on the days they talk about reading com ...

Clearly you are more challenged in reading than I. Direct from the manual:
Operating Temperature 41 to 104 F (5 to 40 C).
What part of a clearly stated range do you not comprehend?
2016-11-28
Use props
djiuser_6QZ9QeO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127625 ft
Australia

I just finished flying my mavic and towards the end of the flight the battery temp was 63c and no warnings? The out side temp is 37 deg
2017-12-31
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Mine reached 125f....
2018-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now