Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Changed manual posted without incremented version
1410 24 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

This is something that really irritates me, and does not do anything for my trust level of DJI, and transparency.

There is a new version of the user manual on the site, that was uploaded today. The version number is still 1.0, but it's not... It's really 1.something_higher_than_zero

The table of contents has additional items listed at the end, for page 59, but there are clearly other changes in the document, with no explanation of the update. I can only assume that they added or changed information for liability purposes, or additional recommendations for flying. Anyone who has read the manual BEFORE today should probably download the latest version and read it again.

If anyone has had time to do a line by line compare of the 2 files and cares to point out the actual differences, please post them here as they would likely save time for people who have already read the manual cover-to-cover as dji recommends.

But seriously DJI... If you change the content of the manual, then bump the version number! That's why it's there! But not doing so, I infer that you are hiding something, and can later claim, "oh, that was in the manual!" to avoid some sort of liability. Even if you corrected spelling on a single word, the version should go from 1.0 to 1.0.1, because it HAS in fact changed from the previous version.
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Yeah, saw that too

But they actually did change the version... The first was 1.0.pdf
The new one is v1.0 20161107.pdf

So not really an issue. The date is the revision as it shows it is the latest.
2016-11-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-11-8 04:45
Yeah, saw that too

But they actually did change the version... The first was 1.0.pdf

Yes, they added the date to the file name, but the version number of the document, both in the file name, and in the actual document, is still 1.0, even though the document has many changes within. I have no proof that there is intent to deceive, but come on... If you change the document in any way, you increment the version number, period.
2016-11-7
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'll read it.         Anyone interested here is a link.
http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2016-11-7
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-7 12:49
Yes, they added the date to the file name, but the version number of the document, both in the fil ...

I agree...  This is poor document management.
2016-11-7
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I didn't go line by line, but I notice they have added some text on Tripod Mode and Terrain Follow Mode under the "Aircraft" section  The rest of the contents list looks pretty much the same.
2016-11-7
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
United States

Under Contents
Aircraft:    They added Tripod Mode and Terrain Follow Mode.

There are 60 pages in the new version, and 62 pages in the older version.

More to come. Still reading.
2016-11-7
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
United States

Under Appendix:    They dropped Compliance Information.

Though it still may be in the manual, I haven't found it yet.

F.Y.I.
Old version is 16,838 kb  and the new version is 16,938
2016-11-7
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

you can do a online comparison for PDF, this show the exact changes.
Manual has been updated before this update(a lot of spelling changes)
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

Hi !
If you look at the differences between new version (left) and old version (right) and look on page 13:

https://draftable.com/compare/XrZmPGRViYiALfho

I find it surprising that it says Yaw is NOT possible during RTH.
Wasnt a lot of the (near) crashes mad spins while rth due to a "ghost stick 1 left" movement that made the Mavic Rotate while the Operator did not do that ?

WHat do you say ?

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-11-8 05:37
Hi !
If you look at the differences between new version (left) and old version (right) and look on p ...

Yes, there are myriad changes between the two version 1.0 documents.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that they went in and fixed all the typos, enhanced the document, but just forgot to increment the version number.

Hopefully, when they release new firmware, they will remember to increment, else we would have multiple aircraft all thinking they are running the same firmware, but not, and then some behaving differently than others. Wait a minute.... Isn't that what's happening???
2016-11-7
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

It was Page 22, but they also don't show what the original document before these two showed about Restricted Area flight.  They also need a section about IMU Calibration.
2016-11-7
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The file name has a date in it. What more is necessary?
2016-11-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.3

fschilder Posted at 2016-11-7 14:59
The file name has a date in it. What more is necessary?

Print both of the documents and then tell me which one is newer.
Version numbers are there for this exact reason
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. The manual keeps updating all the time, and also you could check the date of PDF, please do not worry about it.
We have feedback this to our relevant department as well.
2016-11-8
Use props
Str8nUpNFlyRigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222867 ft
Germany

Here are some changes, that I found:
  • Page 7: new: unfold arms before powering on (was: before takeoff)
  • Page 7: new: added sentence at bottom of page: "Ensure to disconnect the RC cable ..."
  • Page 13: new: added sentence: "To ensure the aircraft returns home forwards ..."
  • Page 17: changed minimal altitude for TapFly to 2m (was: 3m)
  • Page 19: changed minimal altitude for ActiveTrack to 2m (was: 3m)
  • Page 22: added section on Terrain Follow Mode
  • Page 33: added warning at bottom to keep remote controller away from magnetic material and instructin to keep sticks in cetral position during transport (pity that they don't make them removable any more...)
  • Page 34: added info on P-mode being the default mode after powering on
  • Page 39: added info on controllable range of gimbal roll and recommendation for Portrait Mode (section with light bulb icon)
  • Page 45: added warning to use WiFi mode in wide open area with less(?) electromagnetic interference.
  • Page 51: removed(!) section on when to recalibrate (I would really like to see a section on when to re-calibrate which sensor.)
  • Page 52: changed landing procedure in section Flight Test (added info that aircraft will hover for a second at .5m altitude, instruction to use left stick to land instead of CSC)
  • Page 57: complete re-write of the "Using DJI Assistant 2" section
  • Page 59: removed compliance info

I didn't bother to list corrections of typos etc.

2016-11-8
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7418 ft
United Kingdom

Str8nUpNFlyRigh Posted at 2016-11-8 09:47
  • Page 7: new: unfold arms before powering on (was: before ta ...

• Sounds like there should be a few vacancies appearing at DJI HQ

Customer Service Director
    Quality Assurance Director
    Change Management Director
    Manufacturing Director
    Logistics Director
    Software and Integration Director

Looks like the only positions worth their money are currently the R&D and Engineering Directors. Good product poor company!
    Oh, and the poor guys taking all the stick on the forums, well done Ken et al
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    dana5
    lvl.3
    United States

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-11-8 04:04
    Sounds like there should be a few vacancies appearing at DJI HQ

Customer Service Director

Not completely fair... This is a very new, very complex, and very in demand drone in a new market. DJI is not doing enough? Who is doing more? Give them some tome and consideration. They will get it right in time.
    But careless mistakes are another thing. A version bumber represents changes in content. You never change content without increnenting the version. Putting a timestamp in the file name is ok, but the version has still changed. Saying the tomestamp is enough is an ignorant statement. Learn what a version number is, and it's purpose to the reader. "I do not think this word means what uou thonk it does."
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    dana5
    lvl.3
    United States

I imagine calling customer support with a question about the manual, and they ask, "which version of version 1.0 are you looking at? Is it the latest?" What do YOU think that number is for? If it was printed, and you did not have the file name to refer to, how would you know?
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    fans4ba79ee0
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 6878596 ft
    • >>>
    Italy

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-7 21:55
    I'll read it.         Anyone interested here is a link.
    http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

Good to know, thanks.
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    dana5
    lvl.3
    United States

Str8nUpNFlyRigh Posted at 2016-11-8 03:47
  • Page 7: new: unfold arms before powering on (was: before ta ...

• Thanks, Str8nUpNFlyRigh, for taking the time, and documenting the version changes to the latest version of the version 1.0 versioned document. Hopefully people can now know which version of version 1.0 they have, when their version 1.0 document is printed.
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    Repsolkid
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 7418 ft
    United Kingdom

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-8 13:33
    Thanks, Str8nUpNFlyRigh, for taking the time, and documenting the version changes to the latest ve ...

I am not sure what industry people are from, and what backgrounds they have but this is absolutely poor control change management and should not be tolerated.
    Obviously the quality controls in China are different from other places, but here in the UK, in an audit this would fail miserably.

My background leads me to easily conclude they are a struggling company, and not doing the basic things correctly through their growth period. It is very common for a rapidly growing business, but issues like this should not be ignored.
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    Hurricane Hill
    lvl.1
    United States

Keep sticks in center position while transporting. I do not believe this is possible when using the bag sold for the unit.
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    dana5
    lvl.3
    United States

Hurricane Hill Posted at 2016-11-8 11:01
    Keep sticks in center position while transporting. I do not believe this is possible when using the  ...

If that were really necessary, then they should include a restraint device, like the gimbal clamp.
    In theory, the stick position during transport should not matter. So long as the sticks are centered and undisturbed during power up of the controller, it should be fine, as I suspect that the controller determines zero/zero for each stick on power up. I know my kids often have issues with the Wii U Pro controllers if the sticks are out of position during power up. They need to do a key combination to reset, or power cycle everything, else the game in uncontrollable, much like the Mavic issues.

Sorry to get off topic... This thread is supposed to be about educating DJI on the purpose of document version numbers, in a humorous way.
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    fansde1ac65f
    lvl.1
    Canada

Is it possible the magnets in the sticks are giving a temporary charge to the metal while the sticks are left in a position for too long during transport? That could possibly make the RC pull in the direction(s) that the sticks were left in. I'm not totally sure how the RC stick technology works, just a guess..
    2016-11-8
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules