Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Modified Gimbal Bubble (Updated Concept)
1397 10 2016-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

Here is a rough concept of a gimbal bubble that has been modified to allow clear video while still adding impact protection for the gimbal. I would also add a thin layer of black Plasti-Dip to the outside, to give it a little more impact resistance while also blocking out any possible lens flare from the sides, much like a sun shade. I am looking for more ideas or criticisms so that I can make it better. Note: I do not yet have my Mavic, so this is all just theory at this point.

gimbal.jpg
2016-11-8
Use props
warrior200
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Looks as though it could work but would it come off in a crash ? But then I suppose it's better than nothing.
2016-11-8
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-8 11:03
Looks as though it could work but would it come off in a crash ? But then I suppose it's better than ...

Oh, I'm sure any rough impact would cause it to pop off, but if it saves it from serious gimbal damage, I'd call it a win.
2016-11-8
Use props
warrior200
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-11-8 16:08
Oh, I'm sure any rough impact would cause it to pop off, but if it saves it from serious gimbal da ...

It's  certainly worth a try.
2016-11-8
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

An issue that was raised in another forum is the possible increase in load due to a swirling vortex as wind enters the bubble. My thought is that the load would be lessened, due to wind being blocked from the sides, and the wind that does enter may be slowed by drag against the plastic. Any aerodynamic experts that can weigh in?
2016-11-8
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.3

United States

I love it ! I'm sure there's some perfect cut size for perfect camera view and still overall protection. I may join you on this endeavor with my mavic.
2016-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Substance over style..
2016-11-8
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I'm going to 3D print a "open" protector. That will not be in the shot, but will protect it from impact. But will need to wait till I have mine (which will take a little longer, since i'm waiting for new firmware en updates from DJI concerning the reoccurring issues)

Also, that concept will not work unless flying forward. The moment your turn left or right, the gimbal will pan and the edge of the plastic will come in frame.
2016-11-8
Use props
trance728
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

What not just wrap the entire Mavic in bubble wrap?
2016-11-8
Use props
8atU4uGb2cGi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

2016-11-8
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.1

United States

trance728 Posted at 2016-11-8 14:38
What not just wrap the entire Mavic in bubble wrap?

How would the propellers spin then? Think, McFly.
2016-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules