Nights Flying in UK
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mackaygolspie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79564 ft
United Kingdom

Is there a law that states that drones cannot be flown at night? had a couple of pics up on social media from my first night flight but was soon told that it wasnt allowed? Thanks
2016-11-8
Use props
CUAVA
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello,

The standard PfCO (Permission for Commercial Operations) by the CAA doesn't include night flying for commercial purposes.

When flying at night, extra thought must be given to the visibility of the UAV and how its orientation will be determined, we are flying in VLOS remember! The surroundings the UAV is flying in might not be as visible as during daylight hours either, making it easier to collide with an obstacle.
Extra safety procedures might also need to be taken with regards to controlling the area you're flying in.

All of this is achievable and if you can demonstrate your approach to the CAA they will most likely grant a night time permission.

Hope this helps,

The Cambridge UAV Academy Team.
2016-11-9
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As a hobbyist same rules apply - but stick to open spaces as tree branches and overhead wires etc are difficult to spot. Also use the map and instruments will help with positioning and orientation - even with the nav lights  you can be mixed up.
2016-11-9
Use props
mackaygolspie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79564 ft
United Kingdom

So there is no law as such? Do I need to contact the caa every time I'm flying at night?
2016-11-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Of night flights, I think one of the main problems for the establishment against us, is that our drones are nearly invisible to regular aircraft.
One thing that I have done, and many other drone pilots as well, is adding sufficient lights to your drone, so that it can be seen clearly from a long distance away.
That also goes well, for your VLOS as well.  There are numerous systems and kits available that can indeed light up your drone, giving it sufficient bright lights that will allow your drone to be seen from a couple of miles or more away.
What I chose were Lume Cubes. These things are incredibly bright, and very well constructed.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
They are bright, adjustable, have several strobe modes, and soon there will be coloured filters and gels to change hue and tone, to add to them.
Presently they have a fresh Kickstarter campaign for these newer smaller lights called Life-Lite. ;-)
http://kck.st/2fBzZVs

RedHotPoker
2016-11-9
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mackaygolspie Posted at 2016-11-9 17:59
So there is no law as such? Do I need to contact the caa every time I'm flying at night?

No you don't as a hobby flyer - just be sensible ;)
2016-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules