Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Feature request: Manual focus via dial
1461 7 2016-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

Hi DJI,
Can you please implement a manual focus via dial(this would bring similar feel as operating with manual photo lenses). Also such operations can be applied to other "qick access" features.
So:
1. Holding C1 or C2 + operating gimbal or camera settings dial would change camera focus distance with the appropriate focal grade from minimum focus distance to infinity.
2. If no phone connected: focus distance is shown on controller display (either permanently or during manual focusing).
3. During focusing, focus bar in shown on phone display (vertical bar to the left or right of display) simulating "lens ring", also you can highlist the DOF on this line calculating it on the spot.

Added example of ring on photo lens.

Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-28-25-ZF.2-Version.jpg
2016-11-9
Use props
Vertical.Creati
lvl.4
United States

don't bother with DOF or focal distance.  Using it in a real world situation would require information that would likely be unavailable.  How likely are you to know the exact distance from your Mavic to the the object you want it focus at any given point in time.  And the idea of a range finder being added to the display is absurd.

Manual focus & focus peeking are all that is required.
2016-11-9
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

Vertical.Creati Posted at 2016-11-9 20:22
don't bother with DOF or focal distance.  Using it in a real world situation would require informati ...

I am not blind and can see camera output on phone screen, so can calculate the distances.
I would better know that focus is @10 meters rather guessing what drone thinks I tapped on.

Of cause, having manual focus as it is now on cameras (zoom focus are 100% to see details) would be great, but don't think it is easy feature to implement.
2016-11-9
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

Also, what do you put in "manual focus"?

2016-11-9
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.3

United States

I don't think it's absurd, but I think it's beyond what they could do on that sensor and lens but I don't know for usre. With my DSLRS I use focus peaking which is incredible but at further distances it can get thin. I too was thinking of a manual focus option for a knob, would be a great tool.
2016-11-9
Use props
Vertical.Creati
lvl.4
United States

sonofthesun Posted at 2016-11-9 08:52
Also, what do you put in "manual focus"?

I'm going to assume that there is a language barrier

"manual focus" and "focus ring" are the same thing, it is focus controlled by either a physical dial or a onscreen slider.  However the idea of estimating if something is 10M or 15M away, through a single lens that might be 1K or more away from your position is silly.  Focus peaking is based on edge detection, so when something is is focus and sharp, the edge is highlighted.  It would be a far better solution for judging image clarity on the screen of a mobile device.
2016-11-9
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

I absolutely agree with you and sure DJI will implement it in the future, but honestly speaking, I don't expect it to be nearest future.
2016-11-9
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

Well, it is there already,

DJI, can you please bind it to dial?
2016-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules