Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Identifying the "little arrows" on my tablet
3649 15 2016-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans30254479
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I'm only a moderately experienced Phantom 3 pilot. The other day I finally worked up the nerve to pilot my bird across a pretty good-sized body of water. I'm now 72 years old and my vision isn't what it used to be. By the time I reached the marina on the other side of the lagoon (about half a mile), my P3 was pretty much just a little dot in the sky - and I lost track of it.

Knowing I had flown directly there, I just pulled back on the right stick and after a couple of minutes I could both hear it and see it and all was well. So I decided to try the next step.

I flew back across the water, again lost track of my P3. I climbed higher into the sky and I was able to "recapture" the little dot and recognize that it was most likely my P3. I then tried to "steer" it normally, but it was really hard to tell positively what direction I was now heading. Turned it some to the right, looked at the tablet and recognized that I was pointing toward some very tall cypress trees - NOT the direction back to where I was. So, for the very first time since I bought my P3, for a couple of seconds I pushed (and held) the Return to Home button. I was able to see the P3 climb. Then it sort of disappeared again, but, within about 20 seconds or so, I could hear it. It eventually came back in sight, directly overhead and finally started to descend. When I took over manual control, the Return to Home function stopped and all was fine. Now, finally, for my question(s).

In the lower left-hand corner of the display on my tablet, there is a small triangle that shows the front (kind of a headlight look, if you will) and, supposedly, the direction it's pointing. From my various experimentation both before and after, it appears that the arrow direction is a compass direction, i.e., it is identifying what compass direction the P3 is currently pointing to. It is NOT pointing back to me.

If I look at the map on the lower right (I can full-screen the map with one of my programmable buttons on the bottom of the RC controller), *that* triangle appears as if the little triangle *is* the actual physical orientation of the P3 and I can use that to point it to where I am (even if I've moved well away from my original Home Point). Is that correct?

Also, somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember seeing a display where the "track" of my flight is shown - WHILE I'M FLYING! - but I can't remember if that shows up on the map or elsewhere. I figured if I saw that track, I just need to fly back to the beginning of that line, i.e., the point from where I took off.

I'm trying to overcome the feeling that I always need to be able to physically see my P3. As long as there's clear area between me and my P3, I'll have control (up to its max distance, of course) whether my old, tired eyes can see it or not. The compass orientation seems the least helpful aspect of the info provided on my tablet. If you fly around in random or semi-random directions, the compass direction back to your home point is no longer obvious. It would seem that the track and the map (and what you can see via the camera) are far move valuable pieces of information.

Apologize for the long question(s) but I wanted to be clear about my attitude - no pun intended!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

2016-11-9
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The red triangle represents the quad and which direction it is facing relative to you. Imagine you are the centre of the radar screen. If you rotate aircraft so that the red triangle is pointing towards the centre of the radar, and then push the right stick forward the aircraft will head back towards you. You need to watch this and adjust rotation as the aircraft approaches, also be aware of any obstacles there might be, and make sure you are high enough (and watching image on screen) to avoid any.

The 'Map' can show the track of your flight (and you can retrace this route), but mapping usually needs to download data for location. If you have cellular data then it'll work (but watch the data tariff), if not then you can cache the maps for the area you will be flying when you are at home using the wifi.
2016-11-9
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The little red triangle (it's a paper plane icon) represents your Phantom and the green flash shows the direction is looking.
If the compass in your tablet is properly calibrated, the red plane icon should line up exactly with the way your Phantom is pointing - not with some compass direction.
This is all  called the Radar Display.
You can touch that and it's replaced by the Map Display.
In your settings (look for the 3 dots icon) enable Show Flight Route and you'll see your track displayed on the map like a magic trail of bread crumbs that you could follow if you didn't use the radar display.
2016-11-9
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

To help you keep a visual line of sight on you Phantom as you fly some distance away, a bit of bright colored, or contrasting  spray paint will make your AC stand out on clear and cloudy skies.

20161022_172935.jpg
20161025_123012.jpg
2016-11-9
Use props
fans30254479
First Officer
United States

Thanks to all who responded. The "triangle" looked like it was pointing relative to a compass point and not back to me. I may well have been mistaken - I'll double-check again.
Also thanks for the reminder that it essentially acts like a radar and I'll double check the "track" info.

Art - N4PJ
2016-11-9
Use props
fans30254479
First Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-9 07:00
The red triangle represents the quad and which direction it is facing relative to you. Imagine you a ...

Yes, I thought I had the "follow track" mode on, but I may have been mistaken. Next time I fly, I'll double check that as well. Thank heavens for the RH button!

Art - N4PJ
2016-11-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2016-11-9 03:37
To help you keep a visual line of sight on you Phantom as you fly some distance away, a bit of brigh ...

Aloha MJL,

You better eat that pineapple.  It looks seriously ripe!  Terrible to waste a good pineapple.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans30254479 Posted at 2016-11-9 10:14
Yes, I thought I had the "follow track" mode on, but I may have been mistaken. Next time I fly, I' ...

Aloha Art,

Also on the Map, along with the white path, should be a green (gold?) line directly connecting your Phantom with your Remote Controller.  I use that a lot to turn and head home.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-9
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-11-9 15:38
Aloha MJL,

You better eat that pineapple.  It looks seriously ripe!  Terrible to waste a goo ...

I eat 1/2 of a fresh pineapple daily....I'll leave this one alone....might cut my lips on this one!
2016-11-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2016-11-10 03:43
I eat 1/2 of a fresh pineapple daily....I'll leave this one alone....might cut my lips on this one ...

Aloha MJL,

Obviously you must eat the acid free pineapple or you no more teeth by now!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You can improve thc visual orientation of your drone, when it gets out to a farther distance.
What I have done, and many others here too, we have purchased the Lume Cube drone kit.
By adding these incrediblely bright lights to your drone, it is visible from far greater distances.
Helpful for others in near aircraft, to see your drone as well.  If you fly at night, you will love these beacons. ;-)
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

Using the onboard flight SIM can be advantageous to those new to this drone and it's complex workings.

RedHotPoker

2016-11-10
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-10 15:50
Aloha MJL,

Obviously you must eat the acid free pineapple or you no more teeth by now!

so what are you tryin' to say?

il_570xN.391272343_m8nc.jpg
2016-11-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2016-11-11 04:07
so what are you tryin' to say?

Aloha MJL,

Now that is talent!  Even better than being able to make myself look pregnant.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-11
Use props
fans30254479
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-10 17:17
You can improve thc visual orientation of your drone, when it gets out to a farther distance.
What I ...

Someone recommended the "radar." Frankly, I had totally forgotten about it. Experimented today and flew the thing up about 300 feet and maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. Couldn't tell what direction it was facing, but I turned it so the radar was pointing right back at me, i.e., straight down, pushed the right stick forward and I could tell almost immediately that it was coming back to me.

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Art - N4PJ
2016-11-13
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

The radar can work if the compass is working in your phone/tablet correctly. I just use the map display. It shows the orientation of the bird, the location of the home point, the flight path,  and the direct path back to the home point. Doesn't get much clearer than that. On my tablet I see both the radar and the map at the same time on the bottom of the GO app. You don't actually have to have any map data downloaded to use the map features other than you won't see the streets/satellite images. As far as your question about moving far from  your home point, I have not done that while flying so I don't know how that radar works for that.
2016-11-13
Use props
fans30254479
First Officer
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-11-13 22:09
The radar can work if the compass is working in your phone/tablet correctly. I just use the map disp ...

I have to fudge a little now and then. My device (it's a iPad Air something or other or iPad Mini, can't remember) and I bought it without cellular. I've apparently done just enough that some of the map shows up properly, but I can't really trust it. The "radar" isn't foolproof, but it's pretty dependable.

It took a long time before I got the nerve to get far enough away that I could no longer see it and was forced to use the RTH function. That was a real heart-throbber!

Art - N4PJ
2016-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules