You Would Think You Need Clearance, But No
957 2 2016-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

Burlington2.jpg

At the tip of the arrow you are well within the 5mi radius of the Burlington airport. DJI-GO won't let you take off there. B4UFLY app also says you're within 5mi of several airports/helipads and says, by law, you are required to get clearance before you fly there.

But guess what? You don't need to contact anyone. (Wouldn't be such a bad idea to do so though.)

I just got off the phone with Kevin Morris, the FAA's "drone" guy. He's been giving seminars and talks all around to pilots of manned and unmanned aircraft to educate them on what the FAA is requiring of them. I asked why can't I fly there, since the sectional chart shows a faded magenta border around the airport where class E airspace ends at 700 ft and class G starts and goes to the surface. He told me that I CAN fly there, and fly there without clearance from anyone since I would be in class G airspace and G allows drone flying without authorization.

I'm now clear on this, at least until I see something that challenges my airspace understand yet one more time. I expect that real soon now.

(I would have posted this in another thread I have going on with this same picture but that picture is no longer being displayed for some reason.)

Edit: He went on to say that even if I were flying 400 ft from that tower you see on the chart just north of the airport that's 476ft tall, I could be at an altitude of 876ft and still be legal, even though 876ft is clearly in class E space. (This is because 107 says if you are within 400ft of a structure you can fly 400ft above it.) I've known that but this made me realize that one could use this clause to get extra altitude if needed, provided there is a tower nearby.
2016-11-9
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

Is that an unmanned airport?
2016-11-9
Use props
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

PaulL Posted at 2016-11-9 12:59
Is that an unmanned airport?

It has no control tower, just a unicom frequency that all pilots in the vicinity should (but are not required) use to make others aware of their intentions and location. As far as UAVs and part 107 is concerned it wouldn't matter if it is "manned" or "unmanned", just what airspace it is in.
2016-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules