Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to NOT to get arrested for piloting Mavic ?
1353 4 2016-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy101
lvl.2

Hello drone experts,

May I ask you to share your pre-flight checklist you using to make sure drone is allowed in the area where you plan to flight?

It is evident, you cannot fly in no-fly zones (airport), over peoples and in national parks. However, I might miss some local regulations ( e.g. near bridges in NYC ). What is the best way to check them?

I came across B4UFly app from FAA, it seems to be quite handy, but I have a feeling it is not enough.

Ref1
Ref2
Ref3
2016-11-10
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

My method? Talk to local law enforcement. I've chatted up a few officers who sometimes a patrol a bar I go to, and based on those friendly encounters I learned about a local city ordinance made in 1989 regarding remote control aircraft which Quad flights would fall under.
2016-11-10
Use props
ChuckNBlades
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85489 ft
United States

How do you tell if it's illegal to text and drive or legal to open carry your firearm in the jurisdiction where you are or will be visiting?  You have to research every location.
I doubt that you'd be physically arrested for safely flying a UAS in most places in the US.  If you injure someone or damage property, the FAA could always fine you later.
But if your flying and Johnny Law shows up and says stop, then stop.  
2016-11-10
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I avoid any areas with people, because people are nuts. However there are laws protecting us too. If someone tries to shoot your mavic, that is a against federal law and considered a felony.
The only way you'd be arrested is if you crash into an aircraft or intentionally fly into someone, or snoop down on someone through a window or backyard. GEO will protect you from getting you arrested by not letting you fly into airports.
2016-11-10
Use props
fans61b37ad7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Couple of things about all this - There was an early case in New York where a guy was taking pictures of celebrities apartments thru windows, and he was sued. He won the case as he took the photos using public air space, and photographed what was visible from that air space, and most importantly he did not sell the pictures. Homeowners do not own above the air space you reasonably control, say up to your roof line.
Next, you will not be arrested for flying into someone. You will be sued however.
Flying thru someone's picture window by mistake and damaging a Ming Vase in the process, you will be sued. If the flight was for profit, say a real estate promotion video to be used to sell a house, and if you don't have the FAA license that lets you fly for profit, you will be heavily fined. Most importantly if you don't have the proper FAA license your liability insurance and that of your employer won't pay, because you didn't have required licensing to be flying on that job.
May seem silly, but those are the facts.
2016-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules