Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suggestion - DJI GO ios Portrait mode
6151 22 2016-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Has any thought been given to allowing the DJI GO app to resize and run in portrait orientation on a regular sized iPad?
EDIT I should add for clarity - for those who have not checked already. Currently DGI GO only connects in Landscape mode, thus a portrait option wil require the app to be changed.

The controller fits perfectly on the short edge of the an iPad Air 2 and feels good in hand. If the DJI GO app could simply rotate 90 degrees, there would be no need for any Heath Robinson adapators. Then anyone with a full sized (non mini) iPad would have a large screen option instead of being restricted to a phone.

It also occoured to me, remapping the joysticks 90 degrees and running the setup landscape, might provide a solution too. This would be a bit sketchy though a it is pretty wide and the  antennas out the side would be a nuisance.

Anyhow I reckon a portrait mode for DGI GO would be well worth a look.

20161112_151521.jpg
2016-11-11
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.3
Canada

If not within the DJI app I wonder if there is another app that can support this...
2016-11-11
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Australia

Good question. I will ask the flylitchi people as well. Because Litchis is really what I am after. It is not currently available for android + Mavic. I have a S7 edge (android) and an iPad air 2 with a large data plan.
2016-11-11
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.3
Canada

Any chance of software development looking at this option? Seems like many people that would like to use their Ipads and this small change would open the door to all devices.
2016-11-18
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

What would be really amazing is if portrait mode moved the interface to the top of the screen and put the image below it. Maybe vice-versa, I'm not sure which would be best.

The video feed is only going to take up half the screen anyway, so it might be nice to see it without the extra stuff on top of it.

Some people may not like it, so an option might be best. Then you could choose what to look at in portrait mode: Overlapping, video on top, or video on bottom.
2016-11-18
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Australia

...and far more people will have regular sized iPad than Minis I should think.   BTW I asked the Litchi guys and they replied along the lines that doing a portrait mode is not on their radar at the moment.
2016-11-19
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.3
Canada

DJI admits - any chance you could pass this on to software development? Thanks.
2016-11-19
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This will be for a very small userbase, will never be a priority. Also, it is waiting for your cable to break...

Even IF they would do it, it will only use 1/3 of the screen and the rest will be black, so you will not be able to use a "bigger" screen.
If you don't know what I mean... Think 3 seconds longer, you will go "ah crap, yeah..." ;)
2016-11-19
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.3
Canada

I think quite a few people have ipads. Understood that the video will only be as wide as portrait mode but there is still a good interface that could be developed. Think of the enhanced controls that could be setup in the other half of the "unused screen". Not sure what you mean by the cable breaking, why would it break?
2016-11-19
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Because the cable will be against your body and is already bent 180°. You will push against it... Will not take long and bye bye cable and image during flight.

Or will you keep your hands a stretched all the time during flight instead of a relaxed position?
2016-11-20
Use props
CPU Wrecker
New

United States

A portrait mode would come in handy if controlling the Mavic via wifi.   Controls on bottom of controller and pertinent flight info on the top.
2016-11-30
Use props
fans18e1582c
New
United States

I agree - portrait mode for an iPad would be a great feature. They could put the map at the  bottom, image on top. etc. Makes perfect sense.
2017-2-22
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

fans18e1582c Posted at 2017-2-22 10:27
I agree - portrait mode for an iPad would be a great feature. They could put the map at the  bottom, image on top. etc. Makes perfect sense.

Isn't this a feature already?
2017-2-22
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Autopilot can run in portrait mode but its about £30 and a bit of a learning curve but fantastic app but its only available for IOS
2017-2-22
Use props
ColinMC
lvl.1
Australia

I have got it working on my Pixel Xl tablet by turning on Developer mode, then allowing all apps to run in split screen i can have 2 apps on my screen. This doses work ok however I am missing the a small part of the app at the bottom. I have been forced to do this because the DJI 4.0 app crashes on my Nexus 6 & i have no video feed on my old Note 2.

Screen shot

2017-3-25
Use props
fanse33c6ec0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1535 ft
United States

+1 for portrait mode on full size IPad.
2017-4-25
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

+1 from me too!

Flight/Controller info only at the top, full width Video feed only in the middle and full width map only at the bottom. Would be perfect (customizeable as to which one sits in which section of the screen would also be good).

I do currently use an iPad Air 2 and have a 30cm long cable with right angled connector, so no broken cable issues for me.
2017-4-25
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Seems to me it would just add further complications to the app. The easy fix is to get a suitable holder for landscape mode and there are lots of them.
2017-4-25
Use props
Magnil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122838 ft
Sweden

The Rev Posted at 2017-2-22 11:11
Autopilot can run in portrait mode but its about £30 and a bit of a learning curve but fantastic app but its only available for IOS

Can I have the image in half the display and the map in the other half?
2017-9-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can't believe this is even being suggested!   Go buy one of the aftermarket iPad holders.  They work great.
2017-9-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Same thoughts here
2017-9-17
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Magnil Posted at 2017-9-17 11:21
Can I have the image in half the display and the map in the other half?

Yes that's its default view in flight dashboard
2017-9-21
Use props
djiuser_6iXRB8dABDYj
New
Flight distance : 3875 ft
United States

I want to use the I pad mini with the Osmo if it would rotate to portrait
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now