Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The real problem with the Phantom 4 Camera Sensor Error
15928 24 2016-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Puttmaster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>

I wanted to make a thread by itself and I have copied what I have posted on others.This is the board that goes bad. No matter what DJI or anyone else tells you, this part needs to be replaced. Quit trying to restart, update the craft, blah blah blah. It does no good when every response from DJI moderators is "have you restarted, updated, etc etc". This is a known issue and the sad thing is, it is literally a 10 minute fix. I had one and DJI was forcing me to send in the entire aircraft. I could not wait so ordered a new camera. Finally I was able to mix and match the parts to find out the true problem. It is this piece right here. DJI should start selling them, people could fix their own and go on their way. When I say it is a 10 minute fix, it is literally a 10 minute fix. DJI needs to start selling parts like this, it would save them a ton of money in shipping and RMA's that are covered under warranty.

IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG
2016-11-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

While it is good to hear you were able to get yourself up and running, please keep in mind that performing self repairs like this do void the warranty of the aircraft. Phantom 4 spare parts like this would not be available to purchase.
2016-11-12
Use props
RGHQuad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 604 ft
Canada

Is it possible that in some cases simply disconnecting the ribbon cable and reconnecting it may have solved the problem?
2016-11-12
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>

RGHQuad Posted at 2016-11-13 04:49
Is it possible that in some cases simply disconnecting the ribbon cable and reconnecting it may have ...

Has nothing to do with the ribbon cable. It is the actual sensor itself.
2016-11-12
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-13 04:35
While it is good to hear you were able to get yourself up and running, please keep in mind that perf ...

Thanks Jamie. I own enough DJI drones to purchase a couple of nice vehicles. Voiding the warranty on a Phantom 4 is the least of my concerns.
2016-11-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Puttmaster Posted at 2016-11-12 21:19
Thanks Jamie. I own enough DJI drones to purchase a couple of nice vehicles. Voiding the warranty  ...

It may be the least of your concerns, but to many it won't be, and needs to be mentioned.
2016-11-12
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-13 05:30
It may be the least of your concerns, but to many it won't be, and needs to be mentioned.

Roger that!
2016-11-12
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-13 05:30

Roger that!
2016-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Puttmaster Posted at 2016-11-13 08:17

Actually that board is the vision processing section, it is not the camera sensor, that is inside the camera casing itself.
2016-11-12
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-13 07:50
Actually that board is the vision processing section, it is not the camera sensor, that is inside t ...

Correct...not sensor...board. This is the board that causes the "sensor" error.
2016-11-12
Use props
asimokid
lvl.2

Indonesia

Hey, i got camera sensor error, its true the problem with the board? How much the board?
2017-1-1
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

I now have the same problem...
Any ideas on how we can get that board and fix it too?
This is ridiculous for the money spent.
2017-1-17
Use props
fans5676a5a2
New

United Kingdom

Hope it doesn't happen to my p4
2017-1-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The first things to try would be to make sure the sensors are clean, and calibrated. And if they still show faulty after that then get DJI to repair under warranty.
2017-1-17
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

asimokid Posted at 2017-1-1 19:12
Hey, i got camera sensor error, its true the problem with the board? How much the board?

Unfortunately you cannot get one without buying a new gimbal. When this first happened months ago, I was unable to send in just the gimbal, they wanted the whole P4. I could not be without it so I just ordered a new gimbal. It sat around for a while and I just sent in one that was bent (the one I used the good board from). I got the quote from DJI to fix it. It was $144. Not saying yours will be more or less, but that was for a bent arm and board. I explained to them about the board and that I took it out of the one I sent them and the bill was only $144. If its under warranty, send it in with receipt. Turnaround is pretty darn good these days.
2017-1-18
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

Replaced p4 via best buy  (within 30 days policy) after DJI support told me it was a known problem.
It appears that they have updated the app software (January 17th).
while that's not the problem here, good to see there on top of things.
New bird, no problems.
2017-1-19
Use props
asimokid
lvl.2

Indonesia

Puttmaster Posted at 2017-1-18 21:18
Unfortunately you cannot get one without buying a new gimbal. When this first happened months ago, I was unable to send in just the gimbal, they wanted the whole P4. I could not be without it so I just ordered a new gimbal. It sat around for a while and I just sent in one that was bent (the one I used the good board from). I got the quote from DJI to fix it. It was $144. Not saying yours will be more or less, but that was for a bent arm and board. I explained to them about the board and that I took it out of the one I sent them and the bill was only $144. If its under warranty, send it in with receipt. Turnaround is pretty darn good these days.

my problem fixed! only change ribbon cable
2017-2-6
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Puttmaster Posted at 2016-11-12 13:17

Camera sensor is located inside the camera and behind the optics. If you swapped boards and the error disappeared, it means error message is wrong.
Cooling fan shows video compressor or sdcard interface overheats.. prone to malfunction. I believe you're right.
2017-2-7
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Look at the amount of heatsink paste on the board.  This is terrible, no wonder the board fails, it can't make good thermal contact with the heatsink that way.

OP out of curiosity - did you make a lot of flights in one go in hot weather when this failed?
2017-2-7
Use props
santosh shinde
New

United States

Camera sensor error and hardware malfunction massage coming in maximum DJI Phantom 4, DJI support is poor and no desision given by to solve issue
Santosh Shinde
Pune india
2017-5-28
Use props
SCOMOR
New

Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-12 13:30

In any case, when something fails DJI will refer you to the Manual which clearly states that you're not meant to have done whatever it is that you did as an out for them. Don't fool yourself, there is not warranty to void because there is no Warranty.  Their drones fail, crash, burn and DJI don't care because they're making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2017-8-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SCOMOR Posted at 2017-8-15 18:38
In any case, when something fails DJI will refer you to the Manual which clearly states that you're not meant to have done whatever it is that you did as an out for them. Don't fool yourself, there is not warranty to void because there is no Warranty.  Their drones fail, crash, burn and DJI don't care because they're making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The post you replied to was nine and a half months old, and by now my warranty has run out.

But you are completely wrong regarding warranty, of course it means something, it is likely that your consumer protection laws will cover you if nothing else.
Here in the U.K. For example I returned a P3P for a full refund after seven months when the RC "collapsed" for want of a better word. The retailer (my sales contract was with them, not DJI), did this without argument as the 'product ' wasn't fit for purpose.

That aside, I don't think I've t seen a case here yet where it were not due to pilot error, where DJI haven't repaired aircraft at no cost to owner. In fact they seem to err on the side of caution at times. It is rare for somebody piloting an aircraft to lose it, or lose control where their judgement of settings, or consideration of flying conditions has not bee flawed.

So yes DJI are after money, like most businesses, but overall they don't seem unreasonable given the technology, when compared to others.
2017-8-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

SCOMOR Posted at 2017-8-15 18:38

Stop embarrassing other Australians with your nonsensical ravings.
2017-8-16
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

You can pickup a damaged gimbal on ebay pretty cheap and get a replacement board then resell what you dont need and just about get it for free.
2017-8-16
Use props
Kamran1965
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42920 ft
United States

Hi, I did replace the board and updated the remote and connected to the drone and updated the drone with the remote, still nothing happen and and I also lost the control to my drone that I had before. Image is still down. I had no Warranty and got my drone over 1 year ago. It was one of the first P4P coming out to the market with the remote that has the display. Cost me $3000. Plus keep buying extra $1500 FOR PARTS HERE AND THERE. i don't know if that is the right thing that I did. Can some one help me on what is the next step to take.
2018-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules