Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
WASHINGTON , DC NFZ
3024 10 2016-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gUs8mPDahulW
lvl.1

United States

Overreaching geofencing , locked out needs fixed!

The Special Flight Restriction Area (SFRA) for the National Capital Area (NCA) is a radius of 30-miles from Ronald Reagan National Airport. It is divided into a 15-mile inner ring and 30-mile outer ring and by FAA definition "recreational flying between 15-30 miles is allowed" when flying under 400-feet, within visual line of sight, etc. I lived 16.3 miles or within the 15-30 miles radius and your software prevents me from flying (practicing in my own backyard). There is no provision provided to change this that I'm aware of.
2016-11-13
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

I'm pretty sure the fly zone over the capital are is now kaput.  Ever since someone crashed on the white house lawn.
2016-11-13
Use props
fans4315cba9
lvl.2

im curios as well.  Also what zones will the Mavic operate in?
IMG_2828.PNG
2016-11-13
Use props
gUs8mPDahulW
lvl.1

@lepus thanks but quoting from FAA site. DJI needs to address.
2016-11-13
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

I saw it on youtube about the NFZ over DC that a worker flew his drone onto the lawn...
2016-11-13
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Send an email to flysafe@dji.com.  They will assist you.
2016-11-13
Use props
ditdot
lvl.1

United States

If you get an answer to this, I'd love if you could share it. I love in DC as well, but am outside the inner ring. I've been wondering about this myself, but haven't received my done yet to know how it responds in this area. I'd be very appreciative.
2016-11-13
Use props
gUs8mPDahulW
lvl.1

United States

Received 'canned reply" from DJI basically telling me to look at their website at no-fly zones. The FAA website states... "

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is updating its conditions today for flying unmanned aircraft in the area between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. to clarify differences for various types of unmanned aircraft. As of 12:01 a.m. EST, Wednesday, February 10, the operating procedures will allow model aircraft, commercial and public users to operate in the outer ring of the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) under specific conditions. The SFRA rule still prohibits unmanned aircraft operations within 15 miles of Washington, D.C. in the Flight Restricted Zone without specific FAA authorization. Under the new procedures, hobbyists and recreational unmanned aircraft operators can fly aircraft that weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera) in the area between 15 and 30 miles of Washington, D.C. if the aircraft are registered and marked, and they follow specific operating conditions. The operating conditions require them to fly 400 feet or lower above the ground, stay in the operator's line of sight, only fly in clear conditions, and avoid other aircraft. If hobbyists intend to operate within five miles of an airport or heliport, the new procedures also require them to notify the airport, heliport and air traffic control tower, if there is one, before operating. Commercial and other non-model aircraft operators must register and mark their unmanned aircraft, must have an exemption and comply with it, and must notify the FAA an hour before operating to provide specific flight information. Public operators, such as federal, state or local governments, must also register and mark their aircraft, must have the appropriate FAA authorization to operate, and must complete the same one-hour notification before operating."

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84787

DJI states on their website...

"The Washington D.C. FRZ and SFRAThe 15-mile-radius Washington  D.C. Flight Restricted Zone is categorized as a Restricted Zone in GEO.  The 30-mile-radius SFRA is not a flight-prohibited area but instead  involves special training and procedures by manned aircraft pilots. The  regulation concerning the SFRA does not refer to model aircraft or  unmanned aircraft systems even though it specifically references  ultralight vehicles. See 14 CFR 93.339. There are long-standing model  aircraft club locations within the SFRA. We are also aware of at least  one DJI customer who has received an FAA certificate of waiver or  authorization (COA) for operations within the SFRA. The SFRA, excluding  the FRZ, is approximately 2,120 square miles in area and includes many  indoor locations where operations do not raise a concern. For these  reasons, the SFRA is currently categorized in GEO as an Authorization  Zone. As with all operations, it is the user’s responsibility to obtain  any required authorization and to comply with any applicable regulatory  requirements."
2016-11-14
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-13 17:04
I saw it on youtube about the NFZ over DC that a worker flew his drone onto the lawn...

That's not the full reason. Don't you guys remember that alleged terrorist they caught in the DC area who had an RC aircraft rigged with explosives?
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/n ... ot-drone/50593792/1

THAT, along with other reasons is why it's now fenced off. Good luck getting it back.
2016-11-14
Use props
gUs8mPDahulW
lvl.1

United States

Latest from DJI Support on DC

"This zone is set for safety consideration because Washington DC Area is a very sensitive area. I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused. And i will report this info to our department for review.

Mavic will support unlock red zones in future updates."
2016-11-15
Use props
GeoffDills
lvl.1

United States

fans4315cba9 Posted at 2016-11-13 22:03
im curios as well.  Also what zones will the Mavic operate in?

I found the map used by DJI to be slightly larger red zone than the one used by the B4UFLY app put out by the FAA. You can unlock your drone in yellow areas at this page. Unlock your drone
2016-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules