Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flyaways - Which P2 models are most prone to...
2988 22 2015-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
away-point
lvl.4

United States

While purely anecdotal, seems to me Vision models are more prone to flyaways.  

Let's do an informal tally.  Has your Phantom 2 ever failed to respond to controller input, and/or ever flown off on its own?

Please respond with "yes or no" -- Phantom 2 model....

No -- Phantom 2, non-vision
2015-2-8
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

They improved the RF shielding in the P2 v2.0 and the P2V+ v3.0. Without that data in your matrix, you won't have a meaningful conclusion

Not that you can get a meaningful conclusion anyway from an internet forum "survey"....
2015-2-8
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

To add to MacCools post, there are so many factors to consider. Has somebody attached a GPS tracker, perhaps forgot to swich wifi off on the GoPro, flying near radio antennas, flying in cities with a lot of interference etc. So I don't think that either model is more vulnerable compared to the other. Many times it's a pilot error is one way or another.

I once fiddled with my compass and placed it at an angle to the landing skid and caused it to go nuts and eventually crash. Besides this:

No -- Phantom 2, non vision
2015-2-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a fact that quads with cameras have more GPS interference and therefore more crashes of one type or another. This is why the Blade 350QX sent shielding to protect a GoPro (even without wireless on). Cameras emit RF and gimbals also add to the mix.

That's science.

So your supposition is true. Most quads of any and all brands which fly away or crash are probably carrying cameras. Most are also operated by fairly inexperienced pilots.

This is why companies are constantly trying to update their hardware and software which relates to this.
2015-2-8
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.4

United States

This forum needs vote polls where each person just gets a simple vote.
2015-2-8
Use props
away-point
lvl.4

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-2-8 23:42
This forum needs vote polls where each person just gets a simple vote.

Agreed.           
2015-2-8
Use props
away-point
lvl.4

United States

Not expecting clinical trial accuracy here, just a small sampling of actual user experience.  What sparked my interest here is that most every time someone posts of serious misbehavior in flight, it's a vision of one variety or another.  

Okay, let's look at it in a more focus approach...

Anyone here have a Phantom 2 (non-Vision) fly away?

After a year with 3 different P2's, in hundreds of flights, my answer is no.  
2015-2-8
Use props
uptowndisco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The compass shielding for a new P2 v2 I bought (equivalent to v3 on a +)  did not have the improved shield that is fitted to the vision + v3,
perhaps dji thought it was not needed as the P2 does not have the wifi unit to cause interference to the compass ?
2015-2-8
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.3

United States

I see the Visions having the problems. Never had either of my P2 non visions fly away. I can't recall off the top of my head ever hearing of a P2 non vision fly away.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Blackout Fearless Mini H Quad on 4S, Fearless 6mm Arms, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, NAZE32, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius (building)
Hubsan X4
Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-2-8
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

Humboldt710 Posted at 2015-2-9 08:01
I see the Visions having the problems. Never had either of my P2 non visions fly away. I can't recal ...

me neither and i seem to see many more pluses than non pluses.
2015-2-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

away-point Posted at 2015-2-9 03:18
Not expecting clinical trial accuracy here, just a small sampling of actual user experience.  What s ...

I have seen lots of stories here about P2's with GoPro's having misbehaved. I can remember 1/2 dozen right off the top of my head.

Of course, many less are sold (P2 ZM) than V+.

Before the P2's, there were MANY stories of P1's crashing. I hesitate to use misbehaving or flyaway because I've seen pilot error being called by the wrong names, etc.

Heck, I just read a review where a guy returned and complained about a GPS drone because he was using it inside and it didn't react to the ceiling height he set in the software! Really. Actually, I read a couple that were that way.

2015-2-8
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
Second Officer

United States

I just did a quick search and the last "flyaway" reported on the forum was January 6.  Am I missing some or have the flyaway reports diminished?

No lack of crashes or hard landings though.
2015-2-8
Use props
andrew.packetlo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mine made a bid for freedom yesterday, very nervous about taking it up ever again:

2015-2-9
Use props
away-point
lvl.4

United States

andrew.packetlo Posted at 2015-2-9 18:02
Mine made a bid for freedom yesterday, very nervous about taking it up ever again:

https://www.yout ...

Thats scary!  Damn near flipped twice!  Sure would be nice to know what caused that.  Wish we had access to log files like other control boards.  If you figure out what caused those rolls, please share!
2015-2-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-2-9 11:27
I just did a quick search and the last "flyaway" reported on the forum was January 6.  Am I missing  ...

The pilots who got them for Xmas and have never flown have either crashed, lost or learned (that they need to read up and practice on something smaller)....

I'm done some digging and seen most events "reported" a 1/2 dozen times or more. That's another problem with trying to count.

2015-2-9
Use props
michael.haws.ya
lvl.3

United States

Sure would be nice if DJI would take a look at this video and give us some idea what could cause it to do this.     DJI  ... are you listening ?????
2015-2-9
Use props
bpiasta@gmx.de This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-2-9
Use props
away-point
lvl.4

United States

bpiasta@gmx.de Posted at 2015-2-10 02:55
Don't expect too much. DJI is counting all the money they are making with us.
Only when the heep  ...

I'm afraid you are correct.  It's like DJI goes 75% of the way to being outstanding.  Innovative designs, but support and quality control are often just not that good.  

2015-2-9
Use props
jonathan.statt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact that it regained immediate composure when in RTH mode would suggest that it's less likely a problem with the drones motors, ESCs etc or even it's brain. It could be bad signals from the controller telling it to do crazy things. If you slam the right joystick hard left or right very suddenly the Drone will lean over very strongly (albeit not almost flip like it looks like in the image). I realise you were not doing that, so you could do a diagnostic with the assistant on the PC and make sure the controller joystick axis are working properly and not jittering. Maybe the controller has had too much salty sea air   I doubt it is the reception on the drone itself because it was in close proximity to you when this happened (twice) and was actually stable and fine further away. Not likely to be strong magnetic fields anywhere near there either!
2015-2-9
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Maybe its switching into manual mode some how. Were you flying in NAZA or  Phantom Mode. Sounds like NAZA M with rth function unless you mean you were turning the remote home. GPS and home postion was accurately working which usally dosent in fly aways. I too have a 2+ V3, so makes me nervious
2015-2-10
Use props
andrew.packetlo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

scom20.gmail Posted at 2015-2-11 11:54
Maybe its switching into manual mode some how. Were you flying in NAZA or  Phantom Mode. Sounds lik ...

Naza mode, switched S1 to RTH.

Believe me it makes me nervous too! I came very close to losing it and it proves all the changes to the the v3 revision of the phantom hasn't solved the problem and probably will affect the inspire too.

I was going to switch to a H4-3D gimbal but it's not worth the risk so DJI you have lost out on the £££ due to your faulty products and its only a matter of time until somebody gets hurt by a flyaway.
2015-2-11
Use props
allenlastinger.
New

United States

Andrew, it sounds to me as iff you are getting hit with some other signals nearby.
2015-2-11
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It is possibly a problem with the transmitter but I doubt it.

Check the transmitter calibrations as was suggested above and check that the switches are operating as expected.

The difference between normal flying and Return To Home is that the onboard flight unit ignores transmitter input other than the S1 switch.

The behaviour of your Phantom in tumbling from the sky at first before it starts to stabilise would take manual mode non stabilisation to be activated to allow it to deviate so far off stable flight.

So to me it would be an issue that relates to a glitch in the stabilisation unit. Hardware or Firmware is not obvious.

I still suspect that there are power related issues in the Phantom design that relate to the power draw from the Camera Gimbals.

I think I quoted that grit or sand in the gimbal has the potential to cause this issues in a previous post on flyaways.

Given you took off from the sand and the rotors do kick up quite a lot of debris I am suspicious, but not convinced that this is what you experienced.

Cheers

cheers

2015-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules