12Next >
11977 40 2016-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft

Hi
Today, with my brand new P3S, I got many repeated "Strong interference detected" warnings, then a compass error leading to ATTI mode.

This was in a quiet park, away from wifi signals, good sat coverage, current FW, IMU and compass calibrations done.

I flew my P2V here many times with no issues.

It's a bit disconcerting to get these errors on a new Phantom, any ideas?

thanks
P
2016-11-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does your new drone do the same anywhere else?
2016-11-13
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4

Hi, I haven't yet had the chance to try anywhere else. Unlikely to until next weekend (UK is dark, cold, wet, grim, bleak!)
I will try at the first opportunity.
2016-11-13
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2

I got my P3S last Thursday, Mine does the same thing. I don't even notice it anymore. But its there every time i fly..  I went 6482 feet today with no problems.

2016-11-13
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2

It's on my screen more then it's off it
IMG_0889.PNG
2016-11-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Paul, please try another open place without the interference around, raise it above your head when calibrating compass. If still the same case, please restart aircraft and do it again.
2016-11-13
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BobABooey Posted at 2016-11-14 01:41
It's on my screen more then it's off it

Thanks for that Bob, I'll try it in a more open space - just in case.
2016-11-14
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-14 02:39
Paul, please try another open place without the interference around, raise it above your head when c ...

Will do Natalia, will feed back with results when I can.
thanks.
2016-11-14
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-14 02:39
Paul, please try another open place without the interference around, raise it above your head when c ...

Hello Natalia

I took the Phantom to a field further out of town. The nearest buildings were about 300m away, neither my iPhone or iPad could detect any wifi other than the phantom.
I still got multiple strong interference warnings.

thanks
Paul
2016-11-14
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-14 17:08
Hello Natalia

I took the Phantom to a field further out of town. The nearest buildings were about ...

I always get it.. I'm at the beach with nothing around and it shows on my screen every few sec.  
2016-11-14
Use props
luiso16
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

BobABooey Posted at 2016-11-13 21:27
I got my P3S last Thursday, Mine does the same thing. I don't even notice it anymore. But its there  ...

You got balls of steel to fly that distance above water. I don't see myself not doing that never!!!!!!
2016-11-14
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2
United States

luiso16 Posted at 2016-11-14 20:38
You got balls of steel to fly that distance above water. I don't see myself not doing that never!! ...

No balls of steel, I'm just a fool...
2016-11-15
Use props
Pilot25dmc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I was in my local park today and it came up quite a few times on my screen. Going to test it again in the morning in a different location.
2016-11-15
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's very frustrating, and worrying.
Here was a flight, clear of any other wifu signals:
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ENERALNotifications
2016-11-15
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-15 15:34
It's very frustrating, and worrying.
Here was a flight, clear of any other wifu signals:
https://hea ...

Look at all those houses and office buildings in this area, that's mostly why. Everyone of those might have a wifi signal coming from them.
2016-11-15
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

They aren't houses and offices, it's a park with a closed funfair next to it on 1 side and a lake on the other. Nearest house is over 300m away
2016-11-15
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-15 15:03
They aren't houses and offices, it's a park with a closed funfair next to it on 1 side and a lake on ...

That carnival could certainly be be doing it. Are there still a lot of rusty steel rides and attractions there? Have you flown there before?
2016-11-15
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-15 18:03
They aren't houses and offices, it's a park with a closed funfair next to it on 1 side and a lake on ...

No, I don't agree. There are hundreds for homes there, and it looks like corp building too. It's one thing to be 300m from a home or two, but there's hundreds of homes in that general area. You can't just park yourself in a little park surrounded by dense business or residential and think your in a clean interference free area. Plus is that land area man made? It could have been a landfill once back before it was developed. But even if not, just zoom out your map and look at all the dense development.
2016-11-15
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have flown there regularly since 2008 with many different 2.4GHz machines, including Phantoms 1 and 2.

William, with respect, I know this area very well, I live there. It isn't a dense business area, quite the opposite. I chose that position in the park because it is over 300m from ANY houses/businesses, with the closed funfair, a lake and the sea surrounding it.
Of course, I could drive 2 hours to the mountains of Wales, there may be some wifi coming the summit somewhere, I'll have to check.
2016-11-15
Use props
pigolato
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745243 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know if it's connected, but I had this message come up for the first time recently, after updating my P3S to the new firmware 1.7.9.
This was in an area I have flown before many times. I haven't been able to fly for the last few days, so cant confirm the problem in a different area.
2016-11-16
Use props
Pilot25dmc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

My flight yesterday was in a different area of the park to the one I usually fly in so I am going to test it out today (if it dries up) to see what happens in the usual spot. I have never seen a warning message whilst flying there.
2016-11-16
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-16 02:27
I have flown there regularly since 2008 with many different 2.4GHz machines, including Phantoms 1 an ...

I think the point I was trying to make is not that it's a bad area to fly at, but that the "Strong interference detected" warnings could just be interference that was always there, but not being reported by the app's software. Some on other threads are speculating that the threshold for what's considered "Strong interference" was lowered, as this new FW is being promoted as (line #1).
1. Improved video downlink stability in high interference environments.
2. Fixed an Intelligent Battery auto restart issue occurring in cold environments
2016-11-16
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2016-11-16 15:48
I think the point I was trying to make is not that it's a bad area to fly at, but that the "Strong ...

I take your point, William, and agree.
It would be nice to have clarification of what the error actually means from DJI.
For example, to me it looks like a warning that the control signal may be lost, however, I've seen speculation that it could related to compass and/or video signal. That seems unlikely to me.
I've also seen posts about travelling way beyond official range despite the warning, but I'm not happy to take that gamble

2016-11-16
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well, I managed to grab a short test flight, on the shore (away from any possible sources of wifi). Weather wasn't good, a chilly 5C, fairly medium gusts, but at least not raining!
Battery was below optimal temperature, current firmware, current IOS DJI Go.
Flight was mostly good. Only took it to  about 300m out because of the wind, but got multiple compass errors (I did calibrate before takeoff) leading to dropping GPS into ATTI. That's a little scary when you're at the limit of clear visible range and the wind is high!
Heres my healthydrones: https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... amp;page_id=GENERAL
2016-11-19
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Looking at the flight log, it seems that the interference was very localized and concentrated in one point, and absent from the rest of the flight path.
winterhill.png flight.png

I'm wondering if you may have perhaps flown through a point-to-point microwave transmission path?  These exist between buildings to share communications and data between businesses, schools and universities on different campuses etc. over some distance.  They are usually very focused and directional.  It might be a case of a microwave transmitter affixed to the Winter Hill tower being used to beam out west to say an oil rig or other receiver in that direction.  It could of course originate from a lower building anywhere in the area, but it would likely be pointing into the sky to intersect through your area of interference.   I'm surmising that the Winter Hill tower would give the correct altitude to transmit a line through your coordinates and intersect with a destination on the surface, either something like an oil rig or a land mass.  If you have flown this area before and not encountered it, it might just be dumb luck or it is a new transmitter, or intermittently activated.  Winter Hill is of course primarily a TV transmitter, however it will have multiple microwave dishes affixed as well as other communications and mobile phone antennas.

networks1.jpg
2016-11-19
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Interesting theory, Endotherm thanks.
That is a possibility, I'll try to fly in the same park again, but this time map out the positions of error/error free flight.

Regards todays flight, there were no interference warnings, just lots of compass errors. The compass errors appear to all happened when the quad was rotated roughly towards me - coincidence?
2016-11-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-20 06:44
Interesting theory, Endotherm thanks.
That is a possibility, I'll try to fly in the same park again, ...

One thing to remember, WiFi is not the only potential source of interference. The 2.4GHz band slot used by the Phantom is also used by every other radio control system, every RC toy, most cordless telephones and the list goes on. It is the response of the people who manage the radio spectrum to bundle all these devices into one little piece of the radio spectrum and let them thrash it out. It is one of the most congested radio bands in existence.

This is why the Phantom is able to automatically switch channels, it does this to try and find a clear channel to operate on.

To endotherm, microwave paths are not going to cause interference unless you are hovering in front of a transmitting antenna. The receivers are excellent at adjacent channel rejection and unless the interference is in the same 2.4Ghz slot, it will not be a problem.

2016-11-19
Use props
BobABooey
lvl.2
United States

I never don't get that warning.... "Strong interference detected" , Its stinks bc it blocks the screen a little but i just live with it. oh well
2016-11-20
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Paul.
I have flown from that park over the Marine lake and out over the beach/pier many times.
No issues at all,ok its been with a P3A and P3P, but still no warnings.
Is your P3S updated to the newest firmware? P3S owners have been waiting for a fix for interference/weak signal for a while now.
Graham
2016-11-20
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi, yes it's 1.7.90 FW.
I flew it today down at Marshside and had no interference warnings, but a shed load of compass errors instead!
2016-11-20
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-11-19 14:22
Looking at the flight log, it seems that the interference was very localized and concentrated in one ...

I wonder if the DJI drones utilize BandPass Filters between the antennas and receiver front-end?  I SURE HOPE THEY DO?
2016-11-20
Use props
fans78f5f0a3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48212 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
1 month ago I bought a phantom 3 standard and have been plagued with issues relating to compass errors and having to catch it drifting every time. I haven't had a clear flight yet (18 or so flights). As a new person to this I kept thinking it's was something I was doing wrong and following the upgrade to the firmware yesterday it has got substantially worse and is pretty much now unusable. It continually reports strong magnetic interference and I am on the coastline miles away from anything metallic. I have just reinstalled the app and will re calibrate the Phantom tonight but I wonder if it could be a faulty compass. Also the video connection disconnects so i cant see what it is seeing which is worrying. Any thoughts?
2016-11-21
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

I dont understand why its more P3S users with this issue.
Is it the drone thats telling the Rc it has a strong interference or is it the Rc thats getting this interference.
Could the Phone/Tablet thats being used as the monitor cause any problems if the wifi is turned?
2016-11-21
Use props
Chryogen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I just got me a new P3S, and had my two maiden test flights today - exactly the same problem ... "Warning:Strong Interference Detected. Be careful when flying long distances" coming up and beeping the phone many, many times during the flight. First time I have ever flown a drone outside and it was quite unnerving.

I'm going to try the 'overhead calibration' suggested here, and move literally to the middle of the field to see if it makes a difference ...
2016-11-28
Use props
Avi8or
New

United States

I had these issues with a brand new P3S, but only after upgrading the firmware as instructed by the DJI Go App.  Then in addition, the RC link failed and I have been unable to get it to reconnect (push button, remote beeps signalling its attempt to reconnect, then fails and LED on P3S returns to solid red).  Because it is 2 days since purchase, I will return it to retailer (2nd in a row; 1st could not keep its GPS signal and went in to Atti mode, drifting off with the wind).  Smacks of made-in-China quality.
2016-11-28
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Chryogen Posted at 2016-11-28 11:58
I just got me a new P3S, and had my two maiden test flights today - exactly the same problem ... "Wa ...

It's letting you know there's wifi interference in the area. The message itself is not going to cause you to crash or anything. If you do lose signal the RTH will kick in, if set properly. Also try booting up the Go app last, after the equipment is all powered up. That help for me with this message.
2016-11-28
Use props
Chryogen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Avi8or Posted at 2016-11-28 18:16
I had these issues with a brand new P3S, but only after upgrading the firmware as instructed by the  ...

Ouch That's not good ...
2016-11-28
Use props
Chryogen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2016-11-28 18:18
It's letting you know there's wifi interference in the area. The message itself is not going to ca ...

OK, i'll try that on the next flight - thanks
2016-11-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Chryogen Posted at 2016-11-29 03:58
I just got me a new P3S, and had my two maiden test flights today - exactly the same problem ... "Wa ...

There is no connection whatsoever between 'strong interference' and the compass. Interference means radio signals interferring with communication between the aircraft and the RC unit. The compass has nothing to do with that and does not use radio transmission, it is a completely seperate issue.
2016-11-28
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-29 06:48
There is no connection whatsoever between 'strong interference' and the compass. Interference mean ...

OP needs to try a more directional antenna. Even a simple reflector can make a big difference.
Wouldn't leave home without my Windsurfer.  
2016-11-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules