5456 57 2016-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to be a positive post for DJI has really done a great job with the new Mavic Pro

I received my Mavic combo kit today by FedEx and was pleasantly surprised that the came a day early from the tracking information provided me. The box was in perfect condition and opened it up right away.
After reading the information I put the remote and two of the AC batteries on charge. Using the 4 battery charge hub, it charged one at a time and worked just great. I had a little trouble getting my iPhone 7 into the remote arms but finally got it to work (I have big hands) turned on everything and registered using my DJI account without any problems then activated the Mavic. So it was asking me to update the Firmware right away but decided I would wait. I navigared through all of the DJI Go App settings as these are much different from my other DJI drones, P3, P4 and Inspire 1 V2 X3.

The bummer is that it is raining outside and not going to let up at all today. So I went out to the garage and powered up everything and put it into a hover looking outside at the rain. I was very impressed with the way it stayed in the hover while I played with the camera settings. So many of you may have seen the video of the guy that could not get his Mavic to land showing you the remote and as he pulled the stick down. Well guess what I pulled the stick down to land and it just sat there nicely in a hover. Oh boy... I should have installed the new FW is what I am thinking right now and Ken told me too!!

Well it certainly did not respond the sticks like my Inspire 1 for sure. I figured that I would just run the battery down and it would land. So what I discovered is that if you hold the throttle stick down and just keep holding it the Mavic will set up a very nice landing on its own.. then power off. So now I was curious, is this what others had reported as a problem? I did another CSC and put the Mavic back into the air. Sure enough I was able to land it by holding the stick in the down position until it does an auto landing move.

So, now with this behind me I went ahead and installed the FW update by using the DJI Go App with the remote and connected to the Mavic. This was so easy ( I couldn't believe my eyes)... after about 12 minutes the Mavic and remote was updated and ready to fly again.

I flew another 9 minutes using the same battery watching the rain outside from the garage.

Please feel free to ask any questions you can think of and I would be happy to answer them (if I know the correct answer) So far I can tell you this thing ROCKS !!

I really look forward to flying this new drone out in the wild.

Rich

IMG_8049.JPG IMG_8053.JPG IMG_8054.JPG IMG_8055.JPG IMG_8056.PNG IMG_8057.JPG IMG_8058.PNG
2016-11-14
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

This was like me.  I received the Mavic last Thursday and couldn't use it all weekend because of rain.  Took my time and went through the various checklist items and did a short inside hover to check out the camera quality.  So far, everything looks good and worked as it should.

Did you update to the firmware version 01.02.0900?  I noticed your screenshot had the firmware version before that one.
2016-11-14
Use props
Spiderpig
lvl.2

United States

quick question....new to DJI here.  So from a hover in your garage you brought left stick down (how much down?) and it landed softly?  Does it auto detect getting closer to the ground and perform a soft landing no matter how much down is on the stick?
2016-11-14
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Glad you had such a good experience with it.

When did you order, and was this a DJI-direct order?
2016-11-14
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

After the FW upgrade did the Mavic go down just by pushing the stick down? Or did you have to do it like before? Curious when your outside and your about 30 meters high. Will pushing the stick down bring it down to a lower altitude or will you have to hold it all the way down as before?
2016-11-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-11-14 16:23
Glad you had such a good experience with it.

When did you order, and was this a DJI-direct order?

Yes, I ordered directly from DJI and I have been waiting like everyone else::  2016-09-28 06:01:05 (UTC).

Great product and looks like they are finally getting more of these out of the factory.

Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-11-14 16:15
This was like me.  I received the Mavic last Thursday and couldn't use it all weekend because of rai ...

Hey Petroboy,

I just noticed this too regarding the FW. I may need to connect to my PC and use the DJI assistant 2 software. Or it updated the FW in the proper order because the remote and Mavic updated once now already. So looks like I have been flying on the older FW but I must admit no problems at all!  

I took it out just as the rain stopped. The ground was wet and the wind was blowing pretty hard. This little bugger handled it with ease. I took some photos and videos while the weather held off. Very stable on my first 2 flights.

Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Spiderpig Posted at 2016-11-14 16:21
quick question....new to DJI here.  So from a hover in your garage you brought left stick down (how  ...

Great questions. Yes, the Mavic landed using the vision sensors (VPS) and very softly.  Just pulled stick down all the and waited for the Mavic to start the landing sequence.  I am not on the latest FW based on the discussion above and maybe this might change after I put 1.02.0900 on it. Once it starts the landing sequence you cannot override the action, it lands safely and stops the motors.

All of my other DJI drones being P3P , P4 and the Inspire 1 V2 you land the craft using the down stick and it varies the descent as you move the stick.  So far the Mavic stops about 2 feet from the ground and then enters auto landing as I said before.

Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-14 20:56
Hey Petroboy,

I just noticed this too regarding the FW. I may need to connect to my PC and use th ...

Yes I used the DJI Assistant to update to the latest firmware version.  I did the drone, and then the controller separately and it worked smoothly.  There have been a couple of posts about needing to have any extra batteries recognize the latest firmware as well, and I'm not sure if that's as simple as restarting the drone each time with a different battery or is there more to it.  I only have the one battery at this time, and so maybe someone who knows for sure could weigh in.
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-15 12:07
Great questions. Yes, the Mavic landed using the vision sensors (VPS) and very softly.  Just pulle ...

Great job Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Ken,

Looks like I didn't get the latest FW on the Mavic after all...  I really works great and I am sure that the others that are waiting for the orders to process will be very happy too.

Sorry for all of the hassles this little machine has caused you on the forum.   Hang in there! You are doing a great job.

Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-11-14 20:23
Yes I used the DJI Assistant to update to the latest firmware version.  I did the drone, and then  ...

So, yes each battery will need to be updated with the new firmware. After you put the intelligent battery into the Mavic, you will need to start the FW update process again (only affects the battery)  

I am one of the lucky ones received four batteries total.  3 with my order and 1 extra one with my parts order.

Rich
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-15 13:29
Thank you Ken,

Looks like I didn't get the latest FW on the Mavic after all...  I really works gr ...

Thanks buddy, hopefully we'll get to fly together someday.
And don't forget to watch the announcement tomorrow.
2016-11-14
Use props
Albatross911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1708084 ft
Hong Kong

Regarding extra batteries yes need to update everyone as well. Pop in a new battery and start the Go app will days firmware not sync and update it on the spot. Once done just restart. Less than 5 mins total so not a big delay even in the field.
2016-11-14
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Richard,

Glad to know you received your Mavic Pro, and I'm sure it will go alongside with you more frequent than your Inspire 1 in the weeks to come.

And yes, the Mavic Pro landing sequence is very different. In fact, when you pull it down to approx a few feet above ground, it will hover, sending out a message in the GO App asking you to confirm landing. You can confirm it by sliding a yellow switch in the dialogue box, or you can continue pulling down the throttle stick to land it (Heathydrone.com interpretes this as "FORCE LANDING").

Whilst the Mavic Pro hold its position under wind quite well, when flighting its way under headwind of approx 25kmh, its speed (not in sport mode) reaches approx 20kmh only with full stick forward. So be careful to watch out the wind conditions when trying far out flights.

The ActiveTrack modes are really wonderful. You will be amazed by its agility during tracking.

Henry
2016-11-15
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-14 21:39
Thanks buddy, hopefully we'll get to fly together someday.
And don't forget to watch the announcem ...

What announcement ?    

Ken I hope that we can meet and fly together someday as well!  

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2016-11-15 08:05
Hi Richard,

Glad to know you received your Mavic Pro, and I'm sure it will go alongside with you mo ...

Hello Henry,

Yup I have my new Mavic and it's been limited to short flights so far. You are correct it will travel with my Inspire 1 on video shoots but more importantly it can go just about anywhere.  I played with the Active Track a little bit and the Mavic was following me around (pretty funny) Also played with the gesture controls .. all worked well.

I was thinking that I really don't need the P4 anymore ... The P4 camera maybe slightly better but more of a hassle to travel with. So far this has been a homerun by DJI

My best to you sir
Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

First photos from yesterday while inside the garage looking out at the rain and first flight with the rain stopped

Rich

DJI_0003.jpg DJI_0011.jpg DJI_0013.jpg
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-16 01:21
What announcement ?   

Ken I hope that we can meet and fly together someday as well!  

https://www.djivideos.com/watch/ ... 2-96d2-782f744e67ad

2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 09:58
https://www.djivideos.com/watch/ ... 2-96d2-782f744e67ad

I was kidding
Yes, I will be watching the new Inspire 2.

Maybe DJI can send me one to test and evaluate. Please put my name in !!

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-16 02:02
I was kidding
Yes, I will be watching the new Inspire 2.

I know you were kidding
I never said I2, let's wait and see what treats are in store for you all.
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 10:23
I know you were kidding
I never said I2, let's wait and see what treats are in store for you al ...

Ken
..... so secretive... you can still put my name in for what ever it is...

Let's see what they come up with

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-16 02:37
Ken
..... so secretive... you can still put my name in for what ever it is...

Sounds like a plan.
2016-11-15
Use props
clg82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12881 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 10:23
I know you were kidding
I never said I2, let's wait and see what treats are in store for you al ...

Hopefully whatever it is, they'll be able to send it to their loyal buyers in a timely manner....
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

clg82 Posted at 2016-11-16 04:38
Hopefully whatever it is, they'll be able to send it to their loyal buyers in a timely manner....

Yes indeed, Insprire 2 and Phantom P4 Pro
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wow Ken, that is a lot to take in all at once!!

I guess I need to start saving again.. Looks like nothing from the Inspire 1 is compatible and the cameras are special to the I2

Just got back from flying my Mavic again today  Very nice little machine. I have not updated the FW yet, but I will

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
RileyS13
lvl.1
United States

Hi Rich,

Thanks for sharing those still images. Since they are only 200kb as posted, they don't stay sharp when enlarged. How sharp are they in their original size. I'm looking at the Mavic for real estate work, so your sample shots were particularly good samples for me. At first I was disappointed until I fortunately noticed the file size.

Thanks, again.
Riley
2016-11-15
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Wishing I had ordered through DJI Direct at this point rather than a dealer

Good to hear shipments are coming through though.
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RileyS13 Posted at 2016-11-15 20:41
Hi Rich,

Thanks for sharing those still images. Since they are only 200kb as posted, they don't sta ...

Hi Riley

The photos are very sharp and posted reduced images for the forum rules. I would say they come very close to the P3 - P4 series drones. but a smaller FOV. You would not be disappointed in the quality I was hovering my Mavic in the BMW showroom today showing some friends the indoor capability.
I am posting  little larger photos this time

DJI_0024.jpg IMG_001.jpg

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-11-15 20:45
Wishing I had ordered through DJI Direct at this point rather than a dealer

Good to hear shipmen ...

jv

there was no way to know this was going to happen. I ordered directly from DJI on other items and had good results. So I didn't even consider using a dealer this time.  I have purchased from Best Buy in the past because they have good customer service and return policies.

Hope you get your Mavic soon!

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RileyS13 Posted at 2016-11-15 20:41
Hi Rich,

Thanks for sharing those still images. Since they are only 200kb as posted, they don't sta ...

Well the kb is small, but they are cleaner... this is looking outside while hovering next to one of the cars inside     

IMG_001.jpg

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-16 08:05
Wow Ken, that is a lot to take in all at once!!

I guess I need to start saving again.. Looks like ...

It sure is a lot to take in.
Ya, that's the one part I would think you didn't like is nothing can go from the I1 to I2.
BUT, it's a whole new aircraft with incredible capabilities for the professional user. For prosumer, your V1 and V2 are perfect.
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 22:01
It sure is a lot to take in.
Ya, that's the one part I would think you didn't like is nothing can ...

I was very impressed with the level they took the new Inspire 2. I agree with you that this might  push this aircraft out of the hobbyist having fun on the weekend level flyer. At this point I do not use my Inspire for hire and not sure that I need to go to the next level. But I really like the new technology that has been employed and would enjoy using the new toys

Rich
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-17 02:44
I was very impressed with the level they took the new Inspire 2. I agree with you that this might  ...

The Inspire 2 is very impressive indeed, but only for full blown professionals.
Your Inspire/X5 will do just fine.
I would not buy an Inspire 2 unless was absolutely necessary for work.
BUT the cool factor with all the technology and capability I'd buy it if I had money to burn
2016-11-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-16 11:22
Your Inspire/X5 wi ...

Good advice Ken, I do not have money to burn and definitely would like to have technology to play with.

The Mavic is keeping me busy right now and very happy to have this new drone to experiment with.

When I was at BMW yesterday, I am inside the showroom showing the features to everyone and it worked perfectly. This dealership is inside the NFZ and I had no problem as long as I was inside (no GPS)

Rich
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-17 08:12
Good advice Ken, I do not have money to burn  and definitely would like to have technology to pl ...

The Inspire 2 is pretty neat, but the Mavic is too as well.
I saw the photos from the BMW dealership, that must have been fun.
2016-11-16
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

United States

You guys are a cute couple chatting ......LOL
2016-11-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-16 11:22
Your Inspire/X5 wi ...

I updated the Mavic to the latest FW and updated to the latest Go App 3.1  Can you tell me what happened to Tripod mode??

Rich

IMG_8064.PNG
2016-11-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-16 19:04
You guys are a cute couple chatting ......LOL

Yes, Ken is a great help and DJI should be happy to have a someone with his experience .... plus we never have time to talk anymore  

Rich
2016-11-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules