Troubleshooting Question?
1488 16 2016-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GISTSC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 433264 ft
United States

Ok fellas, I am looking for some input from the Inspire 1 gurus. Back in July I noticed my Inspire one was drifting up and down more than it did before. Also noticed the auto landing gear would go up but not down and travel mode would over rotate the gear. I assumed it was a failure of the VPS. I replaced the VPS and the cable to it. The problem continued. I decided to replace the main board. I did that today along with a new GPS antenna and cable. The problem still persists. I am looking for guidance on what I should do next. I have replaced everything listed above (main board, VPS, GPS antenna, and related cables). I also calibrated the IMU multiple times along with the compass. Any help would be appreciated.

2016-11-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, could you please describe "travel mode would over rotate the gear" in detail?
Also it's not recommended to replace any part by yourself, the drone will be out of the warranty for improper installation or operation.
2016-11-15
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

How much vertical drift are you getting ?  I have a bit myself but not to bad.  Sounds like you did all the right things and then some .  I wonder where the barometric sensor is at , I know that contributes to the altitude position as well.  At this point you may just want to send it in though.
Also, I think the travel mode problem is not part of the problem but a seperate issue , You may just want to turn it off once ( VPS ) and see if there is any change at all .  Does the VPS record good data when below say 10 feet ?   Does the VPS give good data from say 10 feet down till touchdown ?  If so I think you could eliminate it as a problem.

Good Luck

donnie
2016-11-15
Use props
GISTSC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-15 17:16
Hi, could you please describe "travel mode would over rotate the gear" in detail?
Also it's not reco ...

When I put the craft into travel mode the gear rotates to the full up position. I have tried all surface types and no luck. I am also aware of the warranty issue, but I am just one of those guys who will fix everything I am capable of myself. I also learn a lot about the craft from the work I do myself.
2016-11-15
Use props
GISTSC
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-15 21:38
How much vertical drift are you getting ?  I have a bit myself but not to bad.  Sounds like you did  ...

I think you may have something here. I do get good altitude data even at very low altitude. The drift is 3ft +/-. Not so much I am afraid of it, just seems more than it used to be. The gear not coming down automatically is the real issue along with not being able to get into travel mode.
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

GISTSC Posted at 2016-11-16 05:37
When I put the craft into travel mode the gear rotates to the full up position. I have tried all s ...

It's probably the ultrasonic issue.
If you want to send it in for fixing, please feel free to contact our tech support.
2016-11-15
Use props
GISTSC 0
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-16 15:27
It's probably the ultrasonic issue.
If you want to send it in for fixing, please feel free to cont ...

So is the ultrasonic sensor what the aircraft uses to auto rotate the landing gear on landing and sense the distance for travel mode?
2016-11-17
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-17 12:01
So is the ultrasonic sensor what the aircraft uses to auto rotate the landing gear on landing and s ...

Sure does .  Keep in mind the auto landing gear will only come down ONE time   per flight , after that you must do it manually with the RC flipper button .
when you go into travelmode , youhave the camera removed and you are on a hard level surface correct ?  because the VPS sensor is what tells the Unit how high to bring the "Gear , if it is damaged ( VPS ) then it can not do the function correctly .  

Does the VPS give good data when at 10 feet and below  ?  If Not the unit is damaged.   
The VPS  is the Ultra sonic sensor , if it is not giving good data  from 10 feet down toTerra Firma (  earth )  , it is bad or the cable going to it or connector .

donnie

2016-11-17
Use props
GISTSC 0
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-18 02:02
Sure does .  Keep in mind the auto landing gear will only come down ONE time   per flight , after t ...

Ok, I have already replaced the VPS sensor package on the bottom of the craft and replaced the cable. My only other thought is maybe the one I replaced the original one with is bad also. Seems like a long shot, but I guess I will try one more new sensor and see what happens. Other than this gear problems and the altitude not holding very steady, she is flying great. I would just feel better if it was 100%.
2016-11-18
Use props
fansedd50a8b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1749321 ft
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-19 11:28
Ok, I have already replaced the VPS sensor package on the bottom of the craft and replaced the cab ...

Try reloading the Firmware on the Inspire 1.  Make sure the RC is off.  Install the same version you have on the Inspire 1.  It is possible the version that is installed on the new VPS is not correct.
You can also look at the txt file and see if the VPS is working
steve t
2016-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-18 19:28
Ok, I have already replaced the VPS sensor package on the bottom of the craft and replaced the cab ...

Not likely to have  2 VPS units bad.... especially if the unit is reading out the lower distances correctly from the ground. You never said what firmware version you are running. IMO the RC 1.6 and AC 1.81 is the best FW version going right now.  (only because we cannot go back any further)...  My Inspire 1 drifts downward about 1.5 feet and it also drifts downward after the gear is dropped. Pretty normal operation and does stabilize pretty fast.

Maybe something to look at.

Hope this helps you
Rich
2016-11-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-18 21:28

Does the VPS give accurate data in flight from 10 feet down to the ground ?  The new go app is nice it says VPS and then gives the data on the lower bottom of the page .  I highly doubt you would get 2 bad VPS sensors, look elsewhere to solve this .

donnie  
2016-11-19
Use props
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

I believe it is a software and not a hardware issue.  Try a different firmware.
2016-11-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-19 11:28

Could you please clarify what firmware version you're running?
2016-11-19
Use props
GISTSC 0
lvl.1
United States

Ok fellas, I decided to replace the VPS for a second time. I knew it was a long shot that I could have installed a bad one straight from DJI, but that appears to be what happened. I installed a new one today and now the auto gear is functioning properly. As for the altitude drift, I have to wait to test this as the winds are gusting today and won't give me a good feel for how will it maintains altitude. I will update on everything once I have a calm day to test. Thanks for all the help.
2016-11-23
Use props
GISTSC 0
lvl.1
United States

Todays test flight went well, everything is back to 100% operational.  Life is good!
2016-11-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

GISTSC 0 Posted at 2016-11-25 08:58
Todays test flight went well, everything is back to 100% operational.  Life is good!

Good to hear you were able to get yourself up and running.
2016-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules