Confirmed Specs in Lens: Pictures and Poll
3159 27 2016-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17943 ft
Australia

I was just looking around the forum when I saw people were having issues with dirt /dust in the lens.
Kind of disappointing, especially because you can't clean it yourself as far as I am aware.

Single SelectVote, Total 69 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

26.09% (18)
73.91% (51)
Your user group with no voting privileges

Dust Close

Dust Close
2016-11-15
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you shine a torch down any camera lens from your mobile / compact or DSLR and take a close-up image you will see specks of dust, 99.9% of the time they have no noticeable effect on the image.
I personally think people are being too critical of a few specks that will have no effect on the photo / video shot.
This is why DJI are asking for photos taken with the Mavic camera so they can see if there is any visible degradation.
Just my thoughts on the matter    
2016-11-15
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

I have been shooting for years in many different environments, often getting debris on my lens. Here is a video where they actually scratch a lens to see it effect on the quality of the image - it is towards the end of the video.

2016-11-15
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

You expect to see dusts over time, not straight out of the box!
2016-11-15
Use props
Silverstone
lvl.1

Canada

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-15 21:54
You expect to see dusts over time, not straight out of the box!

I'm a little confused now. Why would I see dust in a closed camera lens unit? Not even my cheap $15 dash cam has dust inside the lens. You can only get dust in a optic unit when it was assembled in a dirty workplace. The camera unit for the Mavic cost much more than $15. I think everyone who spends $1,000 for a camera drone can expect top notch quality. I did read here already that a member posted about the Mavic got "rushed" out because of the Karma drone. With all the issues Mavic owners reporting already, there is no surprise that the camera unit has some major issues too. If DJI was a proper managed company, they should order a recall for all Mavic's already sold like GoPro/Karma did. Take a good look at all the complains here. That's a disaster for a company calling themselves 'leader" in the drone market. Until now, I'm happy with my P3P and won't get a Mavic very soon.
2016-11-15
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

You should make the poll results visible without voting.
2016-11-15
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

Bloody odd thread title! I thought you were going to tell us technical specs on the lens, not show us some dust
2016-11-15
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

You should change the title to "Poll:" and you will get move votes.

You should also modify your post to allow results to be visible without voting or you will get people voting just to see the results...

Also, yes, dust does find its way into most lens assemblies over time. However, some of the ones I have seen close-ups of on here, mavicpoliots forum, etc. I personally would not find acceptable in a new unit... Suggests assembly is not taking place in the correct environment. It is up to you if you are willing to accept what you have received.
2016-11-15
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

Silverstone Posted at 2016-11-15 14:16
I'm a little confused now. Why would I see dust in a closed camera lens unit? Not even my cheap $1 ...

You will see dust inside your lens over time doesn't matter if it is a £7000 Leica Noctilux , or a £200 Sigma zoom. It just happens.  My point is, for a new lens you expect it to be free of dust doesn't matter how expensive or cheap the lens is, if it is if from a reputable company.
2016-11-15
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

Silverstone Posted at 2016-11-15 22:16
I'm a little confused now. Why would I see dust in a closed camera lens unit? Not even my cheap $1 ...

They can say they are the leader in drones because there is no competition at the moment. I would give their reign over the consumer drone market a few years. I'm dissapointed that the Karma has had the issues it has because that could have been the competition DJI needs to step up their quality and customer service.
2016-11-15
Use props
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Australia

I understand that you probably can't see dust on the lens from the cameras perspective, but on such a new device that you can't open up yourself, i'd expect it to be sealed of dust and not just me. Also if more dust does appear over time I think it will have a difference, being that just one of those specs can cover more than 1% of the entire lens at that size.
2016-11-15
Use props
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Australia

Puralist Posted at 2016-11-15 20:13
I have been shooting for years in many different environments, often getting debris on my lens. Here ...

I get your point, it's perfectly valid for normal sized dslrs with comparatively massive sensors. The thing is, dust on such a small camerass it can show up.
2016-11-15
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-11-15
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

why my previous post get blocked?
there was nothing strange...

2016-11-15
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

What if I told you those were specs of dust on the camera lens taking the photo
2016-11-16
Use props
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Australia

Somican Posted at 2016-11-16 12:41
why my previous post get blocked?
there was nothing strange...

No clue, I didn't see it.
2016-11-16
Use props
MuzzaPuppa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28750 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CanYouEvenPhoto Posted at 2016-11-16 01:13
I get your point, it's perfectly valid for normal sized dslrs with comparatively massive sensors. T ...

have you any test shots? Mine has dust on it and i can't get the left side to focus sharp. I have been on to DJI support and have shown them photos and they have now asked me to send it in for repair. Just wondered if you had any softening in the edges or sides?
2016-11-16
Use props
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Australia

MuzzaPuppa Posted at 2016-11-17 10:46
have you any test shots? Mine has dust on it and i can't get the left side to focus sharp. I have  ...

Yes, I do have a large soft blotch on the right of my lens
2016-11-17
Use props
MuzzaPuppa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28750 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CanYouEvenPhoto Posted at 2016-11-17 13:59
Yes, I do have a large soft blotch on the right of my lens

i would send it back then in all honesty. I have searched the internet and forums for fixes as i thought it may have been due to calibration or software but i think its pot luck if you get a camera with dust in the wrong spot....it will just cause blurriness in an area of the frame that won't be fixed other than to have it replaced. Contact customer services and have yours booked in. The DJI customer services were really good with my issue.
2016-11-17
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

The longer i wait for my mavic ( over 50 days and still no idea when it will turn up ) themore issues seem to pop up the closser i get to changing my mind which is sad really ...
2016-11-19
Use props
CanYouEvenPhoto
lvl.2
Australia

Anthony566 Posted at 2016-11-20 11:36
The longer i wait for my mavic ( over 50 days and still no idea when it will turn up ) themore issue ...

The forums will highlight the bad a few are experiencing and make a big deal out of it. rightfully so, so the company see's it and builds upon it. That said, the Mavic pro is one of the best investments i've made in a long time. It's a fantastic thing to have and well worth the wait.
2016-11-20
Use props
qwRad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26713 ft
Finland

There is no dust in my lens but I voted yes because there is two very faint scratches on mine that you can see if you shine a light from the right angle. I do a lot of photography and know they won't really affect the image at all (maybe a tiny bit more flare when shooting directly into sun but that is already really bad in every drone) so I am okay with it. But sucks anyway that the quality control is not super good.
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

What if I told you, those little specs are not dust, its little gremlins that are trying to take selfies {:4_156:}
2016-12-27
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I also have the problem, but I think it's worse than just dust; I'm pretty sure mine has mold growing within the lens as it appears to be getting worse. It is only apparent when in direct sunlight. I haven't had the opportunity to use my Mavic much due to work commitments, short days and incompatible weather. Looking back at footage I've shot I can definitely see it's worse than when I first got it. Out of the sun's galre and the issue is barely noticeable, but any sign of glare emphasises the blotches and mold "strings" to make the footage unusable. I will be making a claim and will be sending it back in the new year.
Examples below:

Chris farm mold1.jpg
Chris farm mold2.jpg
Chris farm mold3.jpg
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-27 19:07
I also have the problem, but I think it's worse than just dust; I'm pretty sure mine has mold growing within the lens as it appears to be getting worse. It is only apparent when in direct sunlight. I haven't had the opportunity to use my Mavic much due to work commitments, short days and incompatible weather. Looking back at footage I've shot I can definitely see it's worse than when I first got it. Out of the sun's galre and the issue is barely noticeable, but any sign of glare emphasises the blotches and mold "strings" to make the footage unusable. I will be making a claim and will be sending it back in the new year.
Examples below:

That's pretty interesting, looks like it has 'floaters'.

Eye floaters are spots in your vision. ... Most eye floaters are caused by age-related changes that occur as the jelly-like substance (vitreous) inside your eyes becomes more liquid. Microscopic fibers within the vitreous tend to clump and can cast tiny shadows on your retina, which appear to you as floaters.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mrsprinkles
lvl.1

United States

you wouldnt happen to have the lens protector attached to the gimble by chance?  
2017-2-15
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-27 16:07
Examples below:

Looks like you've got the big gimbal cover on???
2017-2-15
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

During winter days with a low sun you will always get an emphasised degree of sun glare. Don't forget that these images were chosen to emphasise the particles within the lens, not the glare, and that they were taken from video stills and not still images.
You take any video footage with what appears to be mild amounts of glare and freeze the video and I'll bet you can find what looks like large amounts of glare. Don't forget that for every second of video you will produce between 24 and 60 frames (depending on what mode you decided to set up in), so you're bound to see excessive glare in certain frames when in reality the motion of video won't show it up as badly. The video stills I posted were taken with the gimbal protector removed.
2017-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules