Flyaway and crash
1826 31 2016-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeff05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28586 ft
United States

I set a waypoint flight with a maximum height of 250'.  As the P4 was flying the waypoints I noticed that the aircraft kept gaining altitude.  It wasn't long before it had not only exceeded the programed 250, it exceeded the maximum height of 400'.  I hit the RTH button and nothing happened.  The aircraft kept gaining altitude.  I tried to take over manually but the aircraft did not respond.  I initiated a throttle down command because the P4 was at an altitude of 736' as shown in the attached flight data screen shot. Flight Data.pdf (594.07 KB, Down times: 2)
The P4 finally came crashing down like a meteor hitting the earth and completely destroyed the drone.  If you can view the flight data you will see that the data is incomplete and that it shows the drone flying to 736' in a one minute flight...which we all know is impossible.

I have submitted this to DJI tech support 2 times and they have yet to address the problem.  This really concerns me due to the nature of the flight.  At that altitude there could have been a collision with a manned aircraft and there could have been property damage on the ground when it crashed or worse it could have killed someone. Luckily I was on a football field.

Does anyone know how to contact someone at DJI who actually cares more about public safety and the already challenged public perception of UAS than company profits?  I am very disappointed with how DJI has been so irresponsible in totally ignoring the danger caused by one of their products.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm sure one of the DJI moderators will pick this up and assist you.

Regarding public safety it's you as the pilot that decides where and how to fly, and therefore you need to take into account all possible risks of your actions.
2016-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your app has a "black box" data recorder that can often explain what happened.
If you want to learn from the experience and be able to avoid similar occurrences:

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and paste a link and someone will probably be able to come up with an explanation.
2016-11-15
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-15 11:58
I'm sure one of the DJI moderators will pick this up and assist you.

Regarding public safety it's  ...

The public safety was not at risk due to where or how I chose to fly.  The public safety was at risk due to an obvious defect in the drone itself.
2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-16 01:46
The public safety was not at risk due to where or how I chose to fly.  The public safety was at ri ...

My mistake, the guidelines must be wrong.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html

Perhaps a glitch in DJI Go waypoints ?

You could upload your flight record here http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Somebody may be able to suggest what the cause was.

2016-11-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What app where you using to fly the waypoints?
2016-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-16 12:46
The public safety was not at risk due to where or how I chose to fly.  The public safety was at ri ...

Without showing actual flight data, there's nothing to support that statement.
2016-11-15
Use props
fanse148cb30
lvl.2

Canada

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-15 22:22

Did you read the original post?

He says he could not control the drone! He commanded it to return to home.....it did not.
He tried manual flight...it did not respond.

That to me shows he was trying to be a responsible safe pilot. If there is some defect in the programming, it should be addressed right?
2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanse148cb30 Posted at 2016-11-16 03:43

He says he could not control the drone! He commanded it to return ...

But it could always be that DJI Go and Litchi were running at the same time, which can lead to problems like this. Or it could be that the pilot entered incorrect data. When it's purposely set in an autonomous mode then you are giving up control to the software. Was the aircraft visible to the pilot ?
Only the flight data can give an accurate record of what happened.
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash,Jeff.
Could you please provide me with your case number or ticket number?
I'll help to look into it.
2016-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fanse148cb30 Posted at 2016-11-16 14:43

I did read the original post and I also noted that despite asking to see the flight data, the OP hasn't provided it.
Do you automatically believe everything you read in forums without knowing anything about the incident or the person making the claim?
It might mean that to you but I've investigated enough Phantom incidents to know that the user doesn't always know what happened.
It's easy to be disoriented or confused and without seeing the data I would never assume anything just because the owner says so.
I could pay for a new P4pro if I had a dollar for every time an owner said his drone flew away but investigation of the data showed a very different story.
(OK .. maybe it would have to be a bit more than $1)
2016-11-15
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-15 13:23
Your app has a "black box" data recorder that can often explain what happened.
If you want to learn  ...

I have uploaded the flightdata according to the instructions you sent.
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-15 20:25
What app where you using to fly the waypoints?

I was using DJI Go
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

fanse148cb30 Posted at 2016-11-15 21:43

Thank you!  Exactly my point.  Had the drone not flown away and properly responded to my RTH command there never would have been an issue.
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

fanse148cb30 Posted at 2016-11-15 21:43

Thank you!  My point exactly.  Had the drone not flown away in the first place AND had it responded to the RTH command this would not be an issue.
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-15 22:14
But it could always be that DJI Go and Litchi were running at the same time, which can lead to pro ...

I don't have Litchi
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-15 22:27
Sorry for your crash,Jeff.
Could you please provide me with your case number or ticket number?
I'll ...

The case number is 277698-B1S3V1

I have had this elevated to a supervisor and they still have not addressed the flyaway issue or that the drone did not respond to RTH.  All they want to address is that it crashed as a result of pilot error.  

I'm skeptical that you will get any different response...very disappointed in how this has been handled.
2016-11-16
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-16 09:40
Thank you!  My point exactly.  Had the drone not flown away in the first place AND had it responde ...

Maybe it did.. did you take note of where the home point was set?  From my experience prior to takeoff I always calibrate and I always note and make sure the home point is set correctly (have yet to have an issue with this).. so there is the possibility that the drone was indeed returning to what it thought was it's home point.

Do you have a link to the flight data that you could share so that we can make a better educated guess as to what may have happened?  I'm sure the support personnel that analyse these records all the time will have a better idea as to what happened but I'd personally like to see it as well.

Thanks
2016-11-16
Use props
Trump
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-15 22:22

Sounds like he was trying to be a responsible pilot. Perhaps taking him at his word until logs show otherwise would be a better approach IMHO
2016-11-16
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

ouch! looking forward to hear the outcome - although i think the outcome will never explain what actually happened.... did u ever upload the logs anywhere, like healthydrones or the other link posted above? That is the log on the mobile device...  I do not think u can get at the dji drone logs directly.. Either way, hope DJI will get it resolved for you!
2016-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-17 01:36
I have uploaded the flightdata according to the instructions you sent.

That gives you a report of the flight data which shows what was happening every 1/10th of a second during the flight.
It may shed some light on the cause of the incident.
If you need help understanding it, you can post a link here and someone may be able to help.
2016-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Trump Posted at 2016-11-17 02:58
Sounds like he was trying to be a responsible pilot. Perhaps taking him at his word until logs sho ...

Most flyers are trying to be responsible but that doesn''t prevent them from being confused or disoriented.
From experience looking at actual flight data rather than accepting what someone thinks may have happened is a much better way to find an explanation.
2016-11-16
Use props
AnchorageAk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

Jeff05. These people are just trying to help you. They are very good at it. I hope you never have to deal with the FFA. They are far from helpful. Your the PIC, pilot in command. What ever happens, is your fault. They will start with the pre-flight. Did you do it right? Maintenance. Did you do do that right. Where are your log books? What do we see here. You didn't do an up date. That will be $1500 and we will take away your license. What is this little screw here. It hasn't been approved for this drone. You need a STC. After thousands of dollars, and testing. That screw now will cost $10. Looks and is the same screw you can buy for $.10. Don't bite the hands that try to help. This is just my option, much like you are entitle to yours. Just a different way to look at things.
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-16 15:53
That gives you a report of the flight data which shows what was happening every 1/10th of a second ...

I uploaded my flight data as you requested in your earlier post.  Do I need to do something else for someone to view it and assess it?
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-16 15:53
That gives you a report of the flight data which shows what was happening every 1/10th of a second ...

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MZM0JSUMHAFQHIEC3734/
2016-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Jeff .... a quick look shows that there's something odd happening and that's a record for only part of a flight.
It begins at 10:51 with the battery at 27% and the Phantom is 711 feet up and autolanding.
The record ends 10 seconds later at 11:01 still up 610 feet.
Something has broken yup the flight data.
If you have any others from the same day they might show more of that flight and what was going on.
2016-11-16
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-16 22:48
Thanks Jeff .... a quick look shows that there's something odd happening and that's a record for o ...

You are correct.  That is the other issue that needs to be addressed.  Why do I have incomplete flight data?
2016-11-17
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-17 08:22
You are correct.  That is the other issue that needs to be addressed.  Why do I have incomplete fl ...

Also as you pointed out, why does the drone continue to gain altitude if it is in Autolanding flight mode?
2016-11-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-18 01:24
Also as you pointed out, why does the drone continue to gain altitude if it is in Autolanding flig ...

Without seeing more flight data, it's impossible to answer questions about the flight.
We have data for 10 seconds showing that it was descending 100 ft in autoland but no information about the 11 minutes before that or how it came down the last 600 feet.
Perhaps the flight record was broken into multiple files.
Are there any other records from the same date?
2016-11-17
Use props
jeff05
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-17 08:36
Without seeing more flight data, it's impossible to answer questions about the flight.
We have dat ...

This is the only other data on that day.  As you will see, it doesn't make sense either.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/C4AT9XIF7F3J7M26TCRX/
2016-11-17
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

Jeff05... FYI about your concern of colliding with a manned aircraft:

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

jeff05 Posted at 2016-11-16 22:44
The case number is 277698-B1S3V1

I have had this elevated to a supervisor and they still have not ...

Vision sensor is active the whole time, and shows 0 meters from the ground.
You put gimble guard under the vision sensor while flying and it block the vision sensor.
When you full throttle down the aircraft think it's on the ground and shut off the motor.
I'll also help to pass your query to our related team.
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules