Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 vs Inspire 1
12Next >
9099 69 2016-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans95097035
lvl.3

United States

Not  long ago the new Inspire 2 was introduced. There are serveral advantages of the insppire 2 vs the inspire 1. First of all the camera quality is better at 5.2 k resolution against the inpires 4k. The inpire 5 has also a bigger abundence of senors and saftey features. Next the Inspire 1 only has a 15 min. flight time while the Inspire 2 gives you more flexibility with a flight time of 27 min (if you do a dual battery system) Also a huge relif to the dual operators there is now a dedicated fpv camera whitch means the main camera operator can turn the camera in any direction and the pilot can still fly the drone with ease. At a decent price for $3,000 this is a steal for professional photographers.
2016-11-15
Use props
fans951dcd15
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4521345 ft
United States

Well, I want to be respectful and agree that you have an opinion.  To me, I just got rear ended by DJI and their "drug dealer" mentality by hooking you and then changing the product and the prices.  IE, neither of the two new cameras for the Inspire 2 work on the Inspire 1. Would that have been hard to do? NO, not at all but then, you would only be selling cameras.  And since you have sold a ton of cameras (X3, X5, X5R, Z3, Z30 and XT Thermal) why not make it where a dedicated commercial UAV operator with all this equipment will have to spend lots more money for a little more flight time, and get a better basic camera. So, any of the cameras purchased by Inspire 1 owners are worthless in respect to getting more time in the air with the Inspire 2. So now, new bird $3K, camera X4s $600, new batteries (8@160 since you have to run two for the 30min. flight time) $1200, new battery charger (have a "smart power charger" for the current Inspire 1 batteries; they will build one for the TB50 battery @ $450), new hard shell case since the Inspire 2 will not fit in the GPC built for the Inspire 1 $500.  Decent price? $5700 to get me somewhat close to the position I am in with my two Inspire 1's but only with an RGB camera for 10 min. of extra flight time not to mention that I do a lot of thermal work and there is no thermal camera for the Inspire 2.  Thank you for your opinion and I hope you can understand that I have an opinion too.
2016-11-15
Use props
Hemiboy899
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18205 ft
South Korea

fans951dcd15 Posted at 2016-11-16 10:41
Well, I want to be respectful and agree that you have an opinion.  To me, I just got rear ended by D ...

I Totally Agree with you took the words right out of my Mouth well said
2016-11-15
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans951dcd15 Posted at 2016-11-16 09:41
Well, I want to be respectful and agree that you have an opinion.  To me, I just got rear ended by D ...

It would not have been easy to adapt the I1 gimbal and cameras to the I2.  It is a completely different design.  The data is handled differently.  It is all processed within the craft now rather than on the camera.  Look at the features for gimbal control beyond what is available on the I1.  It has been 2 years since the I1 was introduced.  We have done some minor refreshes since that time.  The X5 has been out for over a year, the X5R a little bit less than that.  If you are an active professional you have amortized that cost many times over.  
2016-11-15
Use props
fans95097035
lvl.3

United States

fans951dcd15 Posted at 2016-11-16 09:41

Yes you have a very valid point. And i am very happy that you brought this up. It seems as if Dji is starting (or for some they always have been but now getting worse) a very proprietary company who want more and more of your money. I agree with you, and also what they did to the phantom 4 owners by first releasing the mavic and then the phantom 4 pro they must not be to happy. Also when i was saying it was a good deal what i meant to say is that compared to other drones on the market that carry professional cameras the price would be much higher around $12,000 for some. I am sorry that I did not clarify that.
2016-11-15
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-16 11:07
It would not have been easy to adapt the I1 gimbal and cameras to the I2.  It is a completely diff ...

With respect, a design choice was made to implement the camera processing electronics within the aircraft.
The existing mount system could have been used, but wasn't. Similarly with respect to batteries, design choices were made that moved the I2 away from the existing installed base of equipment.

Now that's fine and completely up to your product management team, but there is no getting away from the fact that existing users have been dead-ended, along with all of the gear they have accumulated. For some this is no big issue (I only have an X3, no problem) but IS an issue for people who have invested in the higher end payloads (X5, X5R, XT, XT-R and Z3).

As with the rest of the photographic industry, DJI's marketing around the X series cameras and associated UAV implied and sought to build confidence in the X mount as an ongoing standard in the minds of customers. Like it or not, this expectation is out there. Just as with someone purchasing a Nikon or Canon DSLR, there is a reasonable expectation that the system will remain interchangeable.

The sheep will already have pre-ordered anyway..
2016-11-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Agree with the sentiments expressed by the majority of posters here.

I posted earlier about interchangeability. http://forum.dji.com/thread-72229-1-1.html

I think that profitability and interchangeability are not mutually exclusive. While commercial companies can easily make back the difference in cost, the point is that for sustainability, it makes sense to reuse some old hardware. As stated in my post, product roadmaps are created with at least a couple of years in mind. DJI can profit from a greater number of upgraders than a few new purchasers.

Right now, for the enthusiast hobbyist / small scale pro, there isn't much reason to upgrade from say an X5R to a X5S apart from new product lust. A more productive approach for posters is to nudge DJI rather than kick them. I'm hoping that with the Inspire 3, backward compatibility will be a feature they incorporate, just as with many suggestions they have responded to from previous and current customers.
2016-11-15
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

This is a brilliant RPA and I will be buying one as soon as it is released here in Australia but the US$3000 price is for the drone only you then have to choose one of the 2 available cameras, the cheaper X4S or the X5S, the X5S is AU$3200 on top of the price of the Inspire 2 AU$5200 making it a AU$8400 but even at that price it is worth it to me as they have put everything in it that I need.
2016-11-16
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

The only thing I would say, is that it isn't really fair for newer X5 owners, who now have a camera that is eclipsed in video recording quality by the new Phantom. Because the processing is on the camera for the Inspire 1, there is nothing stopping DJI from releasing an X3S for example with a 1" sensor and 100Mb/s H264 for the Inspire 1. But I doubt they will do this, even though it wouldn't impinge on I2 sales (i.e. you get H265 on the X4S etc).

Recording bitrate and noise are my main issues with the X3, and I never bought the X5, because with the limited H264 bitrate on the camera, there simply isn't any point. We need a 1" sensor, 100Mb/s option for the Inspire 1. It can be done, and should be done.
2016-11-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

SimonMW Posted at 2016-11-16 22:24
The only thing I would say, is that it isn't really fair for newer X5 owners, who now have a camera  ...

Good suggestion. Lets hope DJI listens! It would benefit Matrice 100 owners too
2016-11-16
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

I suppose I'll play Devil's advocate here. Though I do understand (and agree with some of the points brought up) the frustration of having a Inspire 1 vs the Inspire 2. The thing is... Technology changes (especially electronics) at breakneck speeds and what is top of the line will often be replaced with newer generations and better products within a year's time. I'll give an example. I bought a top of the line MacBook Pro back in March. It has everything that you can possibly put in it and I have almost $4000 in it not counting my editing / post processing software. Now the new MacBook Pro is being released and even though I certainly don't "need" the new machine I'll probably buy another decked out MacBook Pro and the price will be more than $4000. I'll just use this one as a backup or in the field. Am I upset at Apple for this? Not at all. Am I upset at DJI? Not at all. And in a year when DJI releases the Inspire 3 I won't be upset at that time. If you're buying electronics expecting no change for a reasonable amount of time you will always be disappointed.  Sure, DJI could / should have implemented some backwards compatibility to the Inspire 2 which in my opinion would have been welcomed but they didn't.  

All that said, drone technology is always growing and will continue to do so. If you have a Inspire 1 I wouldn't be too upset as it is still a great craft with many years left in it. If you want the new one then it is out there for purchase. Only you can decide if the new benefits outweigh the old. This is just my opinion though.  
2016-11-16
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-11-16 17:02
I suppose I'll play Devil's advocate here. Though I do understand (and agree with some of the points ...

I don't think anyone expects things to stand still. But the I1 is modular, and if DJI so wanted it could very easily have a camera on it with a similar capability to the P4P or the X4S. Such a camera wouldn't cannibalise I2 or P4P sales because they could restrict it to 100Mb/s H264, without the H265 option, and we wouldn't have the extra flight times of the new aircraft either.
2016-11-16
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

To be honest, I don't have a big problem with it. I feel the change in the camera processing is a good enough idea that it warrants a change in standard.

Considering this is only the second iteration of the aircraft it's also understandable that there's going to be changes. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if the inspire 3 saw similar changes but I would then expect the platform to mature and that we'd have a set mount for several of the following generations.

The people I'd feel most sorry for in this case tho would be those who've invested in the thermal cameras, those things are stupidly expensive for being sensitive to a different wavelength of light.
2016-11-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-11-16 09:02
I suppose I'll play Devil's advocate here. Though I do understand (and agree with some of the points ...

RVM

I agree with your statements. I am somewhat disappointed that DJI did not have any backward compatibly, but I do understand why

I will continue to enjoy my Inspire 1 and wait before I change to the newer I2 aircraft.
Rich
2016-11-16
Use props
jjphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 640203 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thinking back through the Inspire 1 history just remember all of the issues, faults, upgrades, updates that have happened and for a lot of people the Inspire 1 is still full of problems.  I've not encountered to many issues myself but the thought of going through all of that again must make the "new and better" Inspire 2 less than attractive for a lot of users.  Can you imagine the forums once the new drone is out in the wild,  it will be here we go again.  Loss of signal, loss of transmission, fly-aways, sensor malfunctions, RTH fail, faulty batteries, less than perfect images and the list goes on.  When will it all stop ?  Here is an idea.  Qualified UAV pilots have to go through training,  in the UK you have to have CAA qualifications,  likewise in other countries.  Full size aircraft have to go through such strict safety checks before being granted license to fly and operate.  Isn't it about time UAV/Drones themselves, not just the pilots went through such strict checks before they are allowed to be sold.  Maybe if DJI got the firmware right with all the features working and safety checked in the first place there wouldn't be the need to update everything every five minutes.  Do the drones have to go through similar safety checks that full size aircraft have to go through before being allowed to be sold ?  Us qualified pilots have to.  Would't it be great if we could buy a drone and it really, really did work how it was supposed to out of the box !  No need for firmware updates. Any firmware updates should have to go through the same checks before they were allowed to be released.  It won't happen though.  I just hope & wish that DJI could get it right straight out of the box for once so that the UAV did everything it should do without the need for the constant updates.  DJI are not alone in this,  Apple do the same.   they treat us all as BETA testers and we pay a lot of money to sort out their problems.
I hope you will tell from the tone of this message that I am CAA qualified and fairly happy with my Inspire 1 Pro,  still a few issues,   I use an OSMO which has been fairly trouble free but then it's not likely to crash from the sky and I am waiting for a Mavic (not holding my breath) so like others I have bought in to the DJI world.  Such a shame that nothing from the two Inspire models is interchangeable but I suppose that's business,  big business.
Forgive the rant.
2016-11-16
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you order an extra battery for $150, Is it a single battery? or a pair of two batteries since a dual battery setup.

Thanks,
Tom
2016-11-17
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

jjphoto Posted at 2016-11-16 15:03
Thinking back through the Inspire 1 history just remember all of the issues, faults, upgrades, updat ...

Having an international drone body or agency for airframe certification would add to the expense of buying a drone.  I'm happy to afford to purchase such an advanced aircraft at this price before Skynet takes over.
2016-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2016-11-17 02:41
If you order an extra battery for $150, Is it a single battery? or a pair of two batteries since a d ...

Each battery is going to be $150.00 or $300.00 per flight set up. The size for each battery is roughly TB47 @150.00

Rich
2016-11-18
Use props
fans9c5e195f
lvl.1
United States

Dear DJI, I have an Inspire 1. I like it. Upon seeing the release material I have decided I would like an Inspire 2. My wife says it is that or a trip to Maui this spring. I have argued, sadly, to deaf ears. I am not sure which way to turn. Would you please send me an Inspire 2 with a hard case and a few sets of extra batteries. When I get it I shall donate my I1 to be used for search/rescue work. Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, could I have the camera too. Not to be a bother, the cheaper one would be fine if you are backed up on the production end, and I don't think I need any special video licenses.

E-mail me for my address, and thanks again.
2016-11-18
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-18 14:48
Each battery is going to be $150.00 or $300.00 per flight set up. The size for each battery is rou ...

Thanks, That what I thought but it was a little unclear on the website.

Tom,
2016-11-19
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-16 04:07
It would not have been easy to adapt the I1 gimbal and cameras to the I2.  It is a completely diff ...

What's about other brands cameras mounting under the I2?
2016-11-19
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

fans9c5e195f Posted at 2016-11-18 18:50
Dear DJI, I have an Inspire 1. I like it. Upon seeing the release material I have decided I would li ...

I also will donate my Inspire 1 to any search and rescue company in need  in exchange for a new Inspire 2 with the  X5S and all the extras .  

Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter, It will be a sacrifice but one I am willing to make for the benefit of Humanity .  That is just How I roll ..

I am on my way now to sing Kumbya with the local group of orphans but will check back later in the day for any necessary shipping information you may need .

Just happy to help ....

donnie
fans9c... : I am not sure where it is you are staying on Maui , but please let me know because I spend a whole lot more than the cost of an Inspire 2 to go and stay in Maui .

2016-11-19
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-19 05:51
What's about other brands cameras mounting under the I2?

Not going to work , if the DJI cameras do not work , no way other brands will.  Follow the money my man

donnie
2016-11-19
Use props
fans9c5e195f
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-19 06:13
Not going to work , if the DJI cameras do not work , no way other brands will.  Follow the money m ...

The Weston in Lahaina, it's a "conference" and will cost more than an I2, which in my benevolence I will accept from DJI even though it is the cheaper of the two. Good point though, as I would like to take some vids around Maui with the I2 please expedite the shipping, or ship it directly to the Weston for me.

Thank you kindly.
2016-11-19
Use props
fans0d31b435
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4501411 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did the announcement of the Inspire 2 suddenly render your Inspire 1 or Inspire 1 Pro non-functional?  Of course not.  DJI's own Romeo Durscher just published one of his best panoramic images a few days ago on Facebook using an Inspire 1 Pro.  Wait a second?  You mean, his Inspire 1 Pro is still creating amazing images?  Yes.  

If you have a true need for the Inspire 2 beyond, "I want the latest and greatest" you sell your Inspire 1 and make the new purchase happen.

You can't beg for a new model - like many have for months - and then complain when it comes out and isn't backwards compatible.  This is an emerging technology.  If you want the iPhone 7, buy it.  Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone 6.  This is how innovation works.  To move the bar forward, significantly, often involves big design changes.

Whether it's the MacBook you just bought which is already superseded by the latest version or the Inspire 2, this is the world you live in as an early adopter.  Embrace this!  Oh and...keep flying your Inspire 1 or Inspire 1 Pro - it's still a BEAST of a machine!
2016-11-19
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I am just happy that I was aware that the Inspire2 was already tested since months so I did not buy any X5, Z3 whatever as they are now completely obsolete. It was a good choice to wait for 4K/60 cameras with 100 Mbps as the X4S will sure make much better videos then the X5.

The Inspire2 will actually solve most of my problems.
- the flight time I lost many good footage because I would have needed 5min more
- 4K/60 - finally yaw without always beeing extremley careful about the yaw speed
- 100 mpbs - hopefully little better picture

However I will not buy it as als long as software features are "coming soon" and 3rd party software has not adopted it. Also I dont want to be a firmware tester with my own money. Probably April/Mai 2017 it will be really ready to fly then.

2016-11-19
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Machoman Posted at 2016-11-19 16:31
I am just happy that I was aware that the Inspire2 was already tested since months so I did not buy  ...

By April/May 2017 Inspire 3 will be already stocked in DJI's warehouse ... 3m diameter spherical force field,  8K video at 600 Mbps bitrate, 25 km range with 150 km/hr speed ...
2016-11-20
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey, did they beefed the arms? Seems like tubes are fatter. Hope they also reinforced the gimbal yaw axis assembly ...   
2016-11-20
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Australia

jjphoto Posted at 2016-11-17 07:03
Thinking back through the Inspire 1 history just remember all of the issues, faults, upgrades, updat ...

Yes it would be a grand thing - however that would push the purchase price up well beyond the point that 99.9% of people here would be happy to pay.

Check the pricing of UAV from companies that sell into the Industrial and Military/ISR space.
(Lockheed-Martin, Boeing/Insitu, Aerosonde, Microdrones, Ascending Technologies/Intel, Aerialtronics) - you're starting off in 6 figure territory and soon in the millions.

These are all extensively tested and type approved - you get what you pay for.

The time and effort for QA and testing at this level is never going to happen on a cheap sUAS like DJI/Yuneec/Walkera, etc.  
2016-11-21
Use props
fans8fd8d32e
New
Flight distance : 1411447 ft
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-11-19 16:31
I am just happy that I was aware that the Inspire2 was already tested since months so I did not buy  ...

Have not seen any posts about flying the new X5S system on the M600. I would imagine it will require the processor and SSD electronics that reside inside the Inspire 2 to be included in any M600 attachment mechanism.
2016-11-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans8fd8d32e Posted at 2016-11-22 02:28
Have not seen any posts about flying the new X5S system on the M600. I would imagine it will requi ...

i don't think that is going to happen, at least not now.
2016-11-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-11-21 15:19
Hey, did they beefed the arms? Seems like tubes are fatter. Hope they also reinforced the gimbal jaw ...

Yes, the tubes are a larger diameter, and the mount is a totally new design.
2016-11-21
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

My next bird will be the Matrice 600.... I'm reaching a point where I need a more customizable payload.  Somthing I can put a Lidar sensor and different aftermarket camera's on.

I have however added the new inspire 2 to my wish list..... an awesome looking machine for a quick easy and RTF bird....

I'll let it mature on the market around 6 months or so before I take the plunge... by then the community will have most of the bugs ironed out.

And we will be talking about how it's such an improvement over the old system....  
2016-11-21
Use props
jjphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 640203 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-11-21 11:09
Yes it would be a grand thing - however that would push the purchase price up well beyond the poin ...

SO what we are saying is that us pilots need to be certified (aint that true) but our aircraft don't need to be.  
2016-11-22
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Australia

jjphoto Posted at 2016-11-22 17:15
SO what we are saying is that us pilots need to be certified (aint that true) but our aircraft don ...

No, just that at this particular price point (and this market segment) the costs associated with full type approval, QA testing and such are just too high to be feasible.

2016-11-22
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

fans8fd8d32e Posted at 2016-11-21 19:28
Have not seen any posts about flying the new X5S system on the M600. I would imagine it will requi ...

There will be a Matrice 600 Pro announced shortly............
2016-11-22
Use props
rstekeur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167477 ft
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-11-19 18:31

We could get 3 hours flight and still need 5 minutes more. 4k/60 and 100 mps would be nice
2016-11-23
Use props
fans552e88a2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Let's just face it guys. Technology for uav's is moving at lightning speed and our pockets can't keep up with it. Yes DJI are milking every opportunity but it's us that will pay it so why blame them ? We moan one day but buy it anyway the next. Who's the dumbs ones here ?
2016-11-24
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love my I1 and love flying it .It is a joy .I have looked seriously at the I2 .I do not get the price .For me not a film maker ,it looks like I get everything on the P4Pro .I have to say though when my I1 takes off it is always such a wow to watch her .I think if they offered a half way decent camera in the basic package I would have bought .I feel I am going to go for the p4 pro .Just my thoughts.
2016-11-24
Use props
Cornscot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701207 ft
United Kingdom

I have just been in the market for a new aircraft and camera, the important point being the camera so invested in a I1 Pro with the X5. Now the I2 is out, DJI have made a mistake - if it had the same gimbal mount I would have upgraded the aircraft, instead they are not going to get any more out of me and I will stick with the I1 Pro. I am sure a lot of folk would have bought the aircraft if they could have used their current X5 / X5S etc camera. Very akin to Apple...., first the 15 pin goes so your chargers don't fit, then the headphone jack goes.... As a business model they are probably doing very well, as a company with morals and customer retention maybe not so much. But when they dominate the market why should they be worried?
2016-11-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules