Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inquiry for Inspire 1 Pros
2980 19 2015-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Hi everyone! I  wanted to know your take as far as performance and reliability between the new inspire 1 and phantom 2 with H4 gimbal. i will be traveling to Asia on the last week of February. I will mainly document remote islands in the Ph. I really prefer getting the Inspire 1 due to its 4k 360 degrees camera capability, but i wanted to know your take on a few things:
- spoke with several dealers and they're recommending to wait for another year before purchasing an Ispire 1, they all said that software is not yet too stable.
- seems there's no apple app currently and the only way to use the inspire is through an android phone/tablet
- is it better to just go for a phantom 2+ gopro 4 black?
- if i go for the inspire 1, it seems that delivery projection/ETAs are not accurate, what was the fastest/longest delivery time in your experience?

thanks! appreciate any feedback.
2015-2-8
Use props
tony
New

United States

Hi,

I have both P2+ and Inspire1, I would suggest taking the P2+ with you, stable environment.  No IOS support, buggy Apps and Software. They are still working out the kinks on the Inspire1.  

Too Risky to take the "BETA" platform out to the islands!

Good luck
2015-2-8
Use props
r-preusser
lvl.1

Germany

Hi ZeroCool,

I wouldn't say I'm a pro. I've just started drone flying last year in autumn with a small indoor quadcopter. After meeting some guys with Phantom 2's I got a little bit more exited about this topic and started googling around - and of course fond the Inspire 1 videos.

Having Christmas in mind I was considering pre-ordering one but finally I didn't do this due to the different postponements by DJI and a planned holiday which had priority. In mid January 2015 - still reading all the experience of the pre-order guys in this forum - I've called a German dealer and figured out that they had the Inspire 1 on stock. Getting this information I've grabed my money and bought one. I still see different dealers (here in Germany) who show available devices in their web-shops. So it might be a good idea for you to walk through some of the dealer websites and maybe call some of them.
In "preparation" of the deal I'd orderd an iPad Air 2 in December - but not only for the drone! Luckily I've bought my Inspire 1 at the time when the iOS App was still available - but you'll find download links to version 0.9.2 here in this forum. From my job I know that I could be cumbersome to get iOS Apps through the Apple App-Store-Approval process. I know this could take more than 4 weeks and I hope DJI will manage to come up with an "official" release later this quarter.

Afer upgrading the firmware of the drone, the camera and the RC (which worked as described) I was ready for my first flight. At this time nobody talked about prop-locks and so I was good to go.

My first fligthts were extremly cautious (big free areas, no wind, max 20m height ...) and everything worked fine. With every flight I got more comfotable with the drone and started enhancing the height- and range-restrictions, played around with cam and video and made my first experience with the Atti mode.

In the meantime I've had 58 flights with a total of 16km range, 3:27h flight time and a maximum altitude of nearly 200m and a maximum distance of around 500m.

Everything worked fine so far - even with the iOS App 0.9.2 and without prop locks. I didn't test auto start and auto landing - because I want to fly. The only strange thing I've found is a warning message that the home point isn't set in the iOS App when setting the home point. Interestingly the home point was marked correctly on the map and the RTH worked as well. I suppose this could be a bug in the App and so have a look at the map everytime befor I take off.

All in all I would say go for the Inspire 1 - the biggest issue I have I to get the big grin out of my face everytime I'm comming back from a flight

By the way. I've seen a youtube video comparing the Phantom 2 with the Inspire 1.

If you're interested in some footage of my flights. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB-jaenuP5-ipeGb5_KtIriYqbleVPMXT

I hope this feedback finds you well. Just come up with questions if you want to.

2015-2-8
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Thank you Tony and R-Preusser, really appreciate your feed back.

Ralf, alot of great info. awseome videos too! will do more research before i jump the gun but 58 flights without issues? this is great! i got alot fo research to do then, which includes looking for the link to download DJ pilot to m iphone/ipad if I go for the Inspire.
2015-2-8
Use props
info.rossfeighe
lvl.1

United States

The pilot app is easy to find, it's all over the forums or just google it.  I've had my Inspire for 3 weeks, it's pretty much my first drone. I borrowed a phantom a week before I got the inspire and flew it 5 or 6 times. I have a few small common bugs with my inspire (gimbal twitch, jumping into atti mode for a few seconds) but nothing serious. Have about 35 flights or so. All with no prop locks but I just received them today. I'd go with the inspire if you could get it to practice with for a week or two before your trip. The camera is SO much better than the phantom 2 vision +. The go pro 4 might be close in narrow mode but I haven't test it. If you look around the web you should be able to find somewhere with it in stock now and receive it this week. Be sure to get some extra batteries too!
2015-2-8
Use props
mrburns
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Surely the issue is :-

If you are a pro can you risk it flying away misbehaving etc.

Going that distance you need to be able to trust your equipment otherwise  - lost job/revenue.

Straight forward business decision.
2015-2-9
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Thank you Rossfeighe. yup I'm checking local dealers but unfortunately no stock. Yes I'm seeing those gimbal issues too. I'm more concerned about losing connection while on flight.  I will also down load the app in prep just in case I get a hold of a unit before I leave for Asia. I was trying to get one from DJI but I'm not getting straight answers to my questions. Surprisingly you guys are more help than the company selling the product. I tried their chat last night with no luck. Rep just typed in to email them in a link that was posted.

Mr. Burns, no sir not a pro and travels not business related. this will technically be my first drone, got into this when my wife gave me a custom phantom 2Vision + last Christmas. Unfortunately I had to return that beautiful drone because the gimbal/camera  was not communicating with the Wifi extender. When I saw the inspire I never looked back at the phatom2 mainly because of the builtin lightbridge, 360 camera rotation and 4k video. Also the design doesn't confused me as to where's the front and rear- as a newbie on the phantom even with the red/green lights I still get confused. Thing that turns me off is the connection issues in seeing online and the longevity of the landing feet( since its mechanical). Good thing we have good people here who shares great info, I'm now leaning more into getting the inspire 1, if I find one.  thank you both.
2015-2-9
Use props
djaunay
lvl.1

Australia

ZeroCool - after 18 months with Phantom and S800 platform I was forced to wait a little longer than my USA and EU counterparts for a unit to be shipped to AUSTRALIA but  the experience has been worth the delay.
The Inspire is less a toy and more a machine (but not like skynet hopefully). I had a few short and shallow initial flights and now have confidence to fly. I have also taken to New Zealand on a very calm day and flew in Wellington with great footage over city from parklands.
I do concur with many concerns over the customer support and responsiveness however launching the product took centre stage and how much support can we expect, objectively, from a mass producer of high end toys. I would rather see the effort pushed into improving the software/firmware before aftersales support but that may change if I have an incident...
2015-2-9
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Totally agree with you Djaunay, DJI needs to focus on improving software/firmware support. After reading Ralf,Ross and your response I pulled the trigger and ordered the unit. B&H promised to deliver tomorrow late afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers that i dont run much into firmware/software issues-MAINLY connection issues, I hope i get to fly mine as much as Ralf
2015-2-9
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

LOL skynet!
2015-2-9
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

any recommendations for a good travel/waterproof case with nicely cut out foams?
2015-2-9
Use props
enkhome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

DJI  support says "It is  not advised to fly with the none approved IOS pilot app currently". I will wait till then consider the unexplained issues.
2015-2-10
Use props
averbouwens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

I ordered from CopterShop.com on a Friday and received on a Tuesday!!  They usually have in stock.  Good Luck and enjoy.
2015-2-10
Use props
xzces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Most people that have the inspire but no phantom will recommend it. It is a truly awesome piece of machinery, but the phantom tops it in every area except range. Its more reliable, stays in the air longer and has the same footage with gopro 4. Owh yeah and it's about half the price. I have the pv+ and I1 and while I do love the inspire, I'd rather spend my money on a phantom with gopro 4.

Another thing to remember, it's great to get over a mile out with the inspire, but at that range you pretty much rely on your fpv to navigate. There are way to many issues with the app failing to truly enjoy this. I mean sure you can let it RTH, but what's the point? With the phantom you can get up to 150-200m in the air and stay there shooting video or taking pics much longer compared to the inspire.
2015-2-11
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

XZCES- these were actually my toughts on the pv3+GP4Black. the inspire was delivered yesterday but thank you you did very what i had in mind. i might buy a PV3 and set it up with a GP4 if i'm not happy with the inspire.

AverBouwens- i got in the following day but thanks!
2015-2-11
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

saw a post the DJI Pilot is now available in itunes! i guess good timing for me on some sense
2015-2-11
Use props
r-preusser
lvl.1

Germany

Perfect timing I'd say.

I wish you a lot of fun with the Inspire 1.

By the way. It seems the iOS App 1.0 fixed a bug in the flight recorder. It looks like the the "old" flight recorder counted every power on of the drone and the RC/App as a flight - i.e. the firmware update, power on to get in to or out of travel mode and so on. The version 1.0 seems to check height and mileage. So I need to correct my statement of the number of "real" flights to 29 instead of 58. Sorry for this but I'm working hard to get 58 real flights
2015-2-11
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Will do Ralf. I'm out of state and won't be able to test mine but have you tried 1.0? Someone posted that he had to downgrade to a .9.2 since 1.0 wasn't working for him.
2015-2-11
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

FYI tb47 are now available at Amazon
2015-2-15
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

did my 1st flight today and it was AMAZING! love this bird and i'm glad i listened to Ralf. just waiting for the battery to get fully charged and i'm heading out again to practice. 0 deg F outside, battery lasted 14min but i'n not just hovering, i'm testing it's speed
2015-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules