Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does DJI Go 3.1 use Here Maps?
12Next >
8857 62 2016-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

Someone on here mentioned that the DJI Go version 3.1 no longer uses Google Maps but instead users Here Maps. Is this true?
If so, I won't be updating my app. Here Maps are totally unsuitible in many areas. Below is where I'll be flying next month in Naalehu Hawaii. The Here map shows nothing but cloud cover  compared to the Google map in the bottom.

naalehu_maps.jpg
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Here map is used for Phantom 4 pro, which has a built-in screen with the remote controller.
I will double check map information for you with the latest APP and reply you once I get an answer.
2016-11-16
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-16 20:32
Here map is used for Phantom 4 pro, which has an screen with the remote controller.
While for the si ...

Are you sure about that. I just saw that users on the Phantom Pilots forums are complaining about the Here maps replacing Google in the 3.1 version of DJI Go.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/google-map-missing.95886/
2016-11-17
Use props
SimonH78
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have "Here" maps on my P3A now...
2016-11-17
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2016-11-17 12:42
I have "Here" maps on my P3A now...

That stinks. I am staying in Pahala next month to do some aerial footage of the Ninole hills. Here is the HERE map compared to Google. The Here map is totally useless to me.
pahala_maps.jpg
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RSW Posted at 2016-11-18 03:39
Are you sure about that. I just saw that users on the Phantom Pilots forums are complaining about  ...

I've double checked that, the map will be changed to "Here map" after upgrading to V3.1.0.
2016-11-17
Use props
digdat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

I have a sense people will wanna roll back. Heres my guide on how to revert Dji go versions for iPad/iPhone or https://docs.google.com/document ... 1481033813559533783
Disable auto updates too
2016-11-17
Use props
fansf92ee0bc
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-17 21:21
I've double checked the info, the map will be changed to "Here map" after upgrading to V3.1.0. That ...

What is here maps? Never heard of it until now.
2016-11-18
Use props
fansf92ee0bc
lvl.1

United States

What is here maps? Never heard of it until now.
2016-11-18
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Why would they do such a change!?
DJInnovation, well this is a step Backwards.
2016-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Did DJI get a cheap deal on these maps or siomething? What a waste of time, in the area I live, the map information is about 6 years old, absolute shit.
2016-11-18
Use props
captirwin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

RSW Posted at 2016-11-17 11:39
Are you sure about that. I just saw that users on the Phantom Pilots forums are complaining about  ...

I have a P3S, and since the update, my maps have changed, and not for the better. Not sure what maps I'm getting, but not too happy.
Any ideas how to get the Google maps back???

I'm usng an android device...
2016-11-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Wow, the resolution at max zoom on HERE MAPS is a freakin joke - it's Google Maps 8-10 years ago.  AND THE MAX ZOOM is also a joke!!  This is a small consumer drone, not a Reaper globetrotter.  

WE NEED HIGH RESOLUTION MAPS!!!!!!!!!!
2016-11-19
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-17 22:21
I've double checked the info, the map will be changed to "Here map" after upgrading to V3.1.0. That ...

No that is NOT "normal" its a disaster.  
2016-11-19
Use props
imagesbyjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

Natalia..

It is not normal to substitute a totally unusable map for detail contained in Google Maps.  We get it that the new P4 Pro has a built in display and maybe that's all it can use or you got some licensing deal. Realistically can you say with a straight face that Here Map is a viable substitute to use when flying with maps as a means of location as well?  Don't stick all the other DJI owners with substandard map data because of the new P4.  Not to mention that with ALL the P4 Pro adds to the experience WHY on Earth would you choose to cheapen the whole thing with a useless map tool??  It makes NO sense..  Thank goodness I didn't update my iPad Mini and will be rolling my iPhone back until someone at DJI comes to their senses..  
2016-11-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Are HERE maps only showing on Androids using GO?

Aside, I thought the Apple GO iOS version used Apple Maps and not HERO?

Sort of interesting story of HERO maps verse others here:  http://www.techtimes.com/article ... -really-helpful.htm
2016-11-19
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Natalia,

Why in the world would DJI willfully degrade the best product they sell?

Why so stupid?
why
WHY?

How can you develop such amazing products and  then  --- then CRIPPLE it

seriously , this needs reconsidered!

this is PROOF that the GO APP needs broken apart

if this was done to "make the 4 Pro video device" work that's great---FOR IT

But why kill the rest of us that have paid for the development of the 4 pro

I have the past couple years got a new drone for Christmas,
The Mavik was on this years list

NOT now!

I cant trust you wont cripple it latter as your are doing to my P3P

2016-11-19
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the P4P without the controller coming and I'd hate to not have Google maps which sucks because I will have to use the newest version since the P4P isn't even on the current version.

What about Litchi? Does it use Google maps?
2016-11-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-11-20 00:18
Are HERE maps only showing on Androids using GO?

Aside, I thought the Apple GO iOS version used App ...

You are correct I think, DJI Go 3.1.0  on IOS appears to use the 'Apple map' (supplied by 'TomTom')
2016-11-19
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

My P3S changed to "HERE" maps too with the upgrade.  Looks like i'll be downgrading to previous version of GoApp.  Shame too cause they fixed my "Follow me" feature.
2016-11-19
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

After reading this thread I powered up my Go app on Android tablet for my P3S to see what all the belly aching was about. And yes it's a different map no big deal for me, it looks just fine to get the job done. No clouds in my view, res was not low and I actually like the Hybrid view better. Some of you guys make it sound like it's unusable, like going back in time with the technology. Completely disagree with all the above posts. For me in the state Pa, USA. it's totally fine. The resolution is good on my device (there's no need to zoom it so much that you need to see the leaves of a tree), and like I said the Hybrid view is better.  IMO
2016-11-19
Use props
Melo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3469603 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

With the last update the aerial map does not follow the drone anymore, a fact that makes it difficult to locate and return the equipment when it is out of sight. Each update is making the equipment worse !!!!!! The equipment is more efficient with Google Maps, Here is very bad. Is the company losing focus?

Thanks

Dimitri de Melo e Silva

BRAZIL

EQUIPAMENT:

PHANTOM 4 

2016-11-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Which map does the Autel drone utilize? ;-)

Perhaps it's getting to that time, in evolution, that we make our own moves... Ha

If they can't listen to reason, hit them where it hurts most. Hehe

RedHotPoker
2016-11-20
Use props
MDowney58
lvl.2

United States

Unbelievable......

I see the same bad issues mentioned here.
Crappy resolution, and the map on the Go app does not keep the drone centered.

Lousy.......IDIOTIC  decision DJI. Bring back Google Maps.
2016-11-20
Use props
imagesbyjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-11-20 00:47
After reading this thread I powered up my Go app on Android tablet for my P3S to see what all the be ...

William..

Missing the point somewhat.  Read Melo's post below yours from Brazil..  Look at RSW's post where two map sections are stiched together that are completely incongruent (unless all those clouds stopped in a very neat line like that). Head over to Phantom Pilots and look at some screen shots. The maps are now (and obviously dependent on location) at best spotty. Given that DJI is an international company why change to a map system when the one that was in use has much greater coverage world wide and has been doing just fine.  Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially when the fix is less than the original.  Glad yours is working fine.. that's not the case for some of our fellow flyers..
2016-11-20
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-11-20 19:10
William..

Missing the point somewhat.  Read Melo's post below yours from Brazil..  Look at RSW's p ...

Understood, yes for me at this location the map seem fine. The main thing I wouldn't like is the issue Melo brought up, "aerial map does not follow the drone anymore". Now I've flown a few time since 3.1, but mostly fly FPV or VLOS so maybe I didn't notice that. It will be the first thing I check on the next flight, and if true that you need to pinch and/or scroll the screen. I'll be the first person back on this thread to complain. Now on the other guy with the split image of Google vs Here. Those are screen shots from a PC I think, not screen shots from the Go app, could make a differenence.
2016-11-20
Use props
dirtdroner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

Judging from the Here maps website and the Apple maps on my iPhone there is no way I'd want to use either over the Google maps. Here is out dated by several years and Apple has nowhere near the resolution and is also more than a couple years old. At least the Mavic guys got Go support prior to this dreadful switch but it looks like P4P flyers will be sunk. There are a lot of things I like about the P4P over my standard P4 but none out way this map disaster. Looks like I'm not going to get the Pro after all. The maps are that big of a deal to me. Sorry DJI, you finally fatally screwed the pooch.
2016-11-20
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

There's always Litchi and Autopilot right?
2016-11-20
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

I have a hard time recommending DJI to friends while the APP still is using this unacceptable Map.   Possibly DJI has a stake in Litchi and deploying the Here map will drive everyone to get the the Litchi App.
2016-11-21
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84501 ft
Sweden

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-18 04:21
I've double checked that, the map will be changed to "Here map" after upgrading to V3.1.0. That's normal.

No that is NOT "normal" its a disaster.  
2016-12-11
Use props
plexus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79833 ft
France

Hi,
Why i not get map satellite on my DJI go 04 with no network connection.
Could you explain to me how to do?
Many thanks.
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

plexus Posted at 2016-12-14 09:56
Hi,

The fact you have no network connection is the reason.
2016-12-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

plexus Posted at 2016-12-13 22:56
Hi,

Under 'General Settings' menu , you need to enable 'Cache Map in the Background'. You then need to connect to a wifi network with your display device. Run DJI Go, open the map and it should show your (approximate) current position. Scroll the map to the area you will be flying, and zoom in as needed, letting the map populate. And hopefully that will be it, when you move to the area you will be flying it should populate from data stored in device memory.
2016-12-13
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-18 16:21
I've double checked that, the map will be changed to "Here map" after upgrading to V3.1.0.

When are they going back to Google Maps? HERE Maps sucks and is unusable!!!!!!
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Nevillejp Posted at 2016-12-21 03:51
When are they going back to Google Maps? HERE Maps sucks and is unusable!!!!!!

Sorry for the issue, we'd like to know more details to locate the problem.
Would you please provide specific description?
2016-12-20
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Hi Natalia  There is two problems with the latest mapping system included in the GO app version 3.1
1) The maps them selves are many years out of date. There is whole housing developments missing on the maps where I live. - you can be flying along with the map showing vacant and in reality your flying over a school or shopping centre .
2) The map resolution is very low compared to the previous google maps. The image quality is terrible and it appears to take a whole lot longer to load than google did.
Over all the here maps are a very poor second to the original google maps the GO app used.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2016-12-21 14:50
Hi Natalia  There is two problems with the latest mapping system included in the GO app version 3.1
1) The maps them selves are many years out of date. There is whole housing developments missing on the maps where I live. - you can be flying along with the map showing vacant and in reality your flying over a school or shopping centre .
2) The map resolution is very low compared to the previous google maps. The image quality is terrible and it appears to take a whole lot longer to load than google did.

Thanks, we've reported this case to our engineers, will let you know for any news.
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2016-12-20
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-21 20:28
Thanks, we've reported this case to our engineers, will let you know for any news.

Also the AC doesn't stay centered on the map and flies off the scrren, you have to manually scroll the map to keep the AC in view plus the maps do not auto rotate.
2016-12-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-20 21:28

Aloha Natalia,

Just in case this information might be useful, my problem is the satellite view of Oahu (in Hawai'i) is for the most part very blurry and is only slightly less blurry for the South-East portion of the island.  

I have two different Phantoms (P3P & P4) running the two different DJI GO & DJI GO 4.  BOTH sets of maps on each app have the SAME problem in that they look like they were downloading the satellite imagery for the island when the second pass froze at the South-East part of the island.  The blurriness of the images look like the maps are supposed to have 3 or 4 download passes before a clear image will emerge.

I fly in the mountains and jungle and clear maps are a serious benefit for successful flight.  Mahalo in advance for any assistance you can provide in this matter.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-23
Use props
Murilo Carmello
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
United States

I had problens with "HERE" and I needed to downgrade to DJI GO 3.0

http://forum.dji.com/thread-72328-1-1.html

Maybe stay in 3.0 forever
2016-12-23
Use props