Ground Station Question
1815 13 2015-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

I have yet to play with Ground Station but it does seem very cool.  I have a couple questions on it though since it is not documented in the Manual.
1.)  Lets say I have two waypoints.  Waypoint A is at 50 feet and Waypoint B is at 100 feet.  When flying from point A to B does the craft slowly gain altitude so when it arrives at B it is 100 feet?  Or does it arrive at B and then ascend to 100 feet, Or does it ascend to 100 feet first before arriving to point B?  I didn't see this noted anywhere in the manual and it could be the difference between a great recording or a crash.

2.) When RTH in Ground Station how does the craft work in the scenario mentioned in 1.)?

3.) Am i correct that when the RTH is triggered the craft stops, goes to the altitude defined in the RTH Altitude setting, and then returns to home?

Thanks,
Ryan
2015-2-8
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

to 1.)  it flies direct line gaining or losing alt while going to the WP.  Same goes for the first WP if you take-off from the ground, make sure to remember that
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-2-9 05:22
to 1.)  it flies direct line gaining or losing alt while going to the WP.  Same goes for the first W ...

Thank you PanamonCreel.  Best to fly the bird high and then have it go to the first waypoint or create multiple waypoints increasing altitude along the way.
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-2-9 05:22
to 1.)  it flies direct line gaining or losing alt while going to the WP.  Same goes for the first W ...

Can you answer my 3rd question if you know?
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

This is what the manual shows about RTH

RTH is set at 100' and the Phantom is at 50'. It will ascend to 100' first then return home.

RTH is set at 100' and the Phantom is at 200'. It will stay at 200' until it reaches the home point and then descend
2015-2-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rrbcap.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 05:26
Can you answer my 3rd question if you know?

When RTH is triggered, it will climb to the altitude you have set and return to home.  If you are already higher than the set altitude, it will stay at that higher altitude and RTH.
2015-2-8
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Clarifying; hope this helps:

Think of flying GS as a set of strings.  The string goes between each waypoint and connects the location + altitude.  As the Phantom flies between waypoints it is in a straight line.  Altitude gain/loss is also a straight line.  A common practice is to have the 1st waypoint very near you and at a high altitude; that way you don't risk the issues of forgetting to take into account flight path.

Note: If you haven't done so enable NAZA!  Switching the S1 up/down cancels a GS flight so if you do see something going wrong you can stop it if you still are within controller range.

If you cancel a GS flight and trigger RTH (NAZA required; turning off controller does NOT trigger RTH in GS flights) then the Phantom will either rise to the RTH altitude OR fly home at the current altitude (whichever is higher).  Same behavior as all RTH operations.
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-2-9 05:36
Clarifying; hope this helps:

Think of flying GS as a set of strings.  The string goes between each  ...

Perfect kenargo!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I spent hours reading up on NAZA mode and the horror stories of flyaways.  It sounds like some of them could have been prevented if flying in NAZA mode by simply toggling S1 to ATTI mode orall the way down for RTH.  Flyaways really that common?  it scares the crap out of me and wants me to continue flying my cheap Syma quadcopter
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Open this link and go to page 16. It is very detailed and informative

http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Guide_v1.26_en.pdf
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

One very important thing to remember about ground station and way points. If you set way points, touch done and then go, EVEN IF THE MOTORS HAVE NOT BEEN STARTED, the motors will start automatically. So don't do it indoors with the props on or even when you are near it.
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-9 05:49
Open this link and go to page 16. It is very detailed and informative

http://download.dji-innovatio ...

Thanks Capt. Bill.  This is a great doc I'll be reading.
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

rrbcap.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 05:57
Thanks Capt. Bill.  This is a great doc I'll be reading.

It is the best one I have seen. Page 16 shows clearly the steps of a lost signal RTH
2015-2-8
Use props
ZippyZapp
lvl.2
United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-2-9 05:36
Note: If you haven't done so enable NAZA!  Switching the S1 up/down cancels a GS flight so if you do see something going wrong you can stop it if you still are with

just to be clear you don't need to enable NAZA to cancel a GS mission, a simple flick of S1to either middle or lower position will cancel it in, even in phantom mode.  
Is this the same in NAZA mode?
2015-2-8
Use props
DJI-冬瑞
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Dear sir:

1.) When flying from point A to B , the craft slowly gain altitude so when it arrives at B it is 100 feet.
2.)When your carft is 20m higher than your homepoint, the carft goes back directly.
    When your carft is less 20m higher than your homepoint,the carft ascends to 20m at first,then goes to homepoint.
3.)It depends on the number you set and the actual height of your carft.The flight mode is as same the as the 2.)

THX!!
2015-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules