DJI creators of a new grey market
2055 12 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
symbol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

DJI - thanks to you leaving the Mavic Pro on sale, knowing full well that demand was far outstripping your ability to manufacture, you have created a new grey market filled with drone resellers.

Due to the frenzy of buyers impatiently wanting to get their hands on the new drone, those who have actually been lucky enough to receive theirs (either by waiting since Sept 27th or simply popping into their local US Apple Store, yesterday) can now opt to cash in and double their money.

A quick check on Ebay alone reveals a bunch of your new drones for sale at double the RRP. If people are foolish enough to pay then I guess that's their choice but is this what you wanted?

I would not be surprised if some of your "official resellers" also see the opportunity to profiteer too thanks to the chaos your refusal to provide esitmated shipping dates to each customer is causing. You are happy to spend time ensuring you close down the 3rd party order tracking facility a fellow customer had created freely for us (dronehome.io) which was the only place we could gauge the lack of progress. You also send forum mods to help with product questions to garner more sales but ask about delivery and suddenly everyone is pleading ignorance. Time to grow a pair and be HONEST methinks.

According to your last effort to connect with us, you now have 5 to 6 weeks to fulfill "pre" (haha!!) orders up to the 3rd November. You are still struggling to complete orders from DAY 2!
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll say it again, I'm really sorry a lot of you do not have your Mavics yet. They will come and hopefully the bad feeling will diminish when you take your first flight.

As far as customers selling them for as much as triple the retail cost is just absolutely crazy and I don't know why anyone would pay double or triple. It's a pretty amazing machine, but it flies pretty much like a Phantom4.

Also, if a retailer is selling for profit like that I'm pretty sure DJI would love to know who those companies are. Do not sell their stock to a customer who preordered and sell it for double-triple on Ebay, They would probably get into trouble with DJI if they found out.
If anyone knows of a reseller doing that, I would like to know.
2016-11-17
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-17 18:55
I'll say it again, I'm really sorry a lot of you do not have your Mavics yet. They will come and hop ...

Darn it Ken, you are a shining light for DJI and one I respect a great deal. I just hope that DJI can at least come good with the target they issued on the 3rd Nov.

Perhaps a further update would quell the tension again for a time?

2016-11-17
Use props
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

I am about to cancel my order and never buy a DJI product in the future. I am tired of waiting after seeing all the people with later orders get theirs.

The first come first serve was a total lie. I wish I would have known this from the start.
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

symbol Posted at 2016-11-18 03:41
Darn it Ken, you are a shining light for DJI and one I respect a great deal. I just hope that DJI c ...

Thank you for the kind words, I think they will.
And yes, I've inquired about an update.
2016-11-17
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Some people can wait and some can't.  Those who can't will spend whatever it takes to get one. I'm sure a few have buyers remorse after a few days of flying if they get one that may have some of the problems mentioned on here. Oh well, I bet they have no receipt and can't return it.
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-18 04:18
Some people can wait and some can't.  Those who can't will spend whatever it takes to get one. I'm s ...

A lot of the problems are pilot error as this being their first drone and not fully understanding all the features, functions and especially the limitations of the aircraft.
The ones that did have a manufacturing problem are taken care of by the warranty.
2016-11-17
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-17 20:26
A lot of the problems are pilot error as this being their first drone and not fully understanding  ...

I know its a bit off topic but yes, to be fair the initial scare with the left stick centering seems to have gone now thanks to the firmware update I guess. That was the big one for me.
2016-11-17
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

The fact that your re-sellers can have stock for someone to simply walk in and buy 2 or 3 units while DJI has not fulfilled its obligation to the customers who already paid 7 weeks ago is unacceptable.

It's a scummy way to do business and shows DJI, as a company, have no ethics.
2016-11-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

symbol Posted at 2016-11-18 04:29
I know its a bit off topic but yes, to be fair the initial scare with the left stick centering see ...

Yes, firmware remedied that.
2016-11-17
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

davidms Posted at 2016-11-17 20:46
The fact that your re-sellers can have stock for someone to simply walk in and buy 2 or 3 units whil ...

I agree to a certain extent but then again DJI doesn't have control over who the re-sellers sell to. I'm surprised the Apple stores have enough stock to complete pre-orders they may have AND leftovers to sell immediately. Wonder if something is going astray here?

There will be re-sellers who have orders dating from 27th Sept too.
2016-11-17
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

What they said was first come first served, but what they meant was lottery system.
2016-11-17
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

davidms Posted at 2016-11-18 07:46
The fact that your re-sellers can have stock for someone to simply walk in and buy 2 or 3 units whil ...

In defense of DJI here they did not know that resellers or others that placed orders were going to ebay them off for twice the price. I'm sure all orders are treated the same, if i place an order for 100 units within the first hour of going on pre-sale should i expect my 100 to be sent before the person that purchased after me? I'm pretty sure that reseller orders are just as important then individual consumers and would be treated the same in the same queue. The reason why we see the USA only shipping the first few days pre-orders is because of volume. I would say logically people are getting it first on first server basis which is also dependent on if you brought the single drone pack or the fly more bundle.

It's the later i can't get my head around, why the preference on combo packs being delivered and next to no single units. I ordered a single unit with free extra battery and i know combo packs have gone out, so why not the single units? I really don't understand that logic as that is what is effecting the first come first serve situation.

The reason we have the ebay situation is:

1. DJI being so slow for the pre orders to ship.
2. Peoples lack of ability to wait.

If people don't buy the items on Ebay we have no situation, it's simple supply and demand and outside of DJI's influence. They can't stop any of you from selling your unit when you get it?

Let's just be patient, if you can't then cancel and move on and buy one later when they are everywhere. Like i said i just can't fathom why the combos are shipping when single units are no where to be seen. the only difference is the extra box for the combo kit?
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules