Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Easy Peeze DIY Cell Phone holder for Armor cased phones
5329 13 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 881598 ft
United States

So I received my Mavic Pro yesterday, I must say,,, what a awesome piece of technology it is. It's perfect! Well almost... The only thing I can say I don't care for is the phone holder is for phones that are not in a armored case, I mean who carries their expensive phone around these days without a case? So I started thinking of a easy and cheap way around my phone not fitting in the holder without having to take it out of it's protective case.
This is what I come up with:
1st off you will need a piece of plywood,ABS,Lexan etc... to make a blank that is the same thickness of your phone and cut out the shape of your phone without the armor case.

2nd you will need one of those car air vent phone holders (I found mine at dollar tree),take the air vent attachment off so you are only left with the phone clamp itself, mine had a raised surface on the back,I ground it down flat.

3rd you will need some double sided mounting tape to attach the cell phone clamp to the phone blank that you cut out.

I had all the matierials laying around except for the phone bracket,that set me back a buck at the dollar store. I now use the usb socket on the controller to connect to my phone.  Just thought I would share this idea as I know I'm not the 1st to feel this way about the controller phone mount. Hope some find this usefull.

Cheap Car air vent Cell phone holder (Dollar Tree has these)

Cheap Car air vent Cell phone holder (Dollar Tree has these)

Take the Air vent clamp off and grind back of cell mount flat

Take the Air vent clamp off and grind back of cell mount flat

Find a piece of plywood,ABS, lexan that is about the thickness of your phone and cut it out to the d ...

Find a piece of plywood,ABS, lexan that is about the thickness of your phone and cut it out to the d ...

use some double sided mounting tape to secure it to the phone blank you cut out

use some double sided mounting tape to secure it to the phone blank you cut out

What it should look like when complete

What it should look like when complete

Mount it in the arms of the controller and fly!!! :)

Mount it in the arms of the controller and fly!!! :)
2016-11-17
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

NICE!  Now you're thinking outside the box!
2016-11-17
Use props
halling
lvl.1
Sweden

I think what you did is really cool

However Iwould like to challenge your first statement, I don't see the logic to buy a nice looking, thin phone just to put it into a large , thick ugly case ;)
2016-11-17
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
United States

halling Posted at 2016-11-18 01:48
I think what you did is really cool

However Iwould like to challenge your first statement, I don ...

Thanks!  But then again most of people I have seen with a "nice thin" phone without a thick ugly case has a shattered screen. LOL
2016-11-18
Use props
Cuz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8186 ft
United States

Awesome idea! The only thing i would add is epoxy the holder to the wood instead of tape.
2016-11-19
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
United States

Cuz Posted at 2016-11-19 10:25
Awesome idea! The only thing i would add is epoxy the holder to the wood instead of tape.

Thanks!  You can use screws as well if you pull the clamp open far enough.
2016-11-19
Use props
Cuz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8186 ft
United States

Ultraflight77 Posted at 2016-11-19 09:30
Thanks!  You can use screws as well if you pull the clamp open far enough.

Great job such a simple solution....
2016-11-19
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
United States

Cuz Posted at 2016-11-19 10:36
Great job such a simple solution....

Yep. Also it's much easier to connect the cable to the  phone. I use the usb connection now.
2016-11-19
Use props
Visualkaos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats great.  Well done.  Im sort of suprised that they didnt put a phone holder on the mavic that resembles what they do with the Osmo.  The phone holder on the osmo is really nice.  
2016-11-19
Use props
fans575663b3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2368264 ft
  • >>>
United States

looks really nice but seems like the hard part of this is getting something for the flat part that is pretty thick to get a good fit in those arms.    What thickness in mm is your piece there?
2016-11-20
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
United States

fans575663b3 Posted at 2016-11-20 19:27
looks really nice but seems like the hard part of this is getting something for the flat part that i ...

It's .310 in thickness. It was a picece of grey ABS plastic plate I found laying around in the garage. Some hobby grade plywood around that thickness would probably work as well,then could be painted with acrylic paint.
2016-11-20
Use props
Username Taken
lvl.1

United States

I have this ultraslim case on my phone, and I'm able to fit it into the holder, it's still pretty tight though.
https://www.amazon.com/Case-iPho ... =iphone+6+case+bear
2016-11-21
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

Tagged, great idea, effort and workmanship.
2016-11-28
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.4
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2016-11-28 19:58
Tagged, great idea, effort and workmanship.

Thanks for the feedback.  It is a easy solution for holding the phone with a armor case and much easier to plug it in as well.
2016-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules