Descend Quickly
1535 10 2015-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Had my Phantom 2 Vision+ up about 300 feet.  Seems like it shot up there very quickly but it took a while to get back down.  I had the thottle almost all the way down but not 100% (I think it is 90% when not fully clicked down???).  Not sure of the wind speeds up there at 300 feet but is there a way to get it down quicker other than executing the CSC to stop the blades (joking!).  From what I have read it is best to be moving forward or backward (preferably into the wind) when decenting to prevent prop wash.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan
2015-2-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

You have everything about right.  It will come down slower than going up to help avoid the vortex.
2015-2-8
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Yep, you got it Ryan.  Always descend on two axes as if it were a fixed wing aircraft and you will get your bird home.

Come straight down and sooner or later VRS will bite your ass and you will have a kit phantom to sweep up.  And yes, into the wind if you can, this is how the grown up planes do it!
Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-8
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

It definitely goes up faster than it comes down (while still in flight ) Any movement laterally/forward/backward is preferred to a straight down decent.  The props of any craft create an area of "dirty air" behind their thrust.  in quads and copters this is (generally) downward.  So lateral movement will "clean" the air around the props and allow the craft to travel more smoothly (no wobble).   I try to do decent from far away then when I get closer I'll circle while reducing altitude.  

Some of the guys may have a better method for faster decent. but I find that if you are moving forward and down it's much faster and safer/more stable.
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

This forum is great!  Lots of experienced people on here.  Much better than going to youtube.  Thanks everyone.  One other quick question.  what is the altitude range of the DJI Phantom.  Isn't it programmed to go no more than 400 feet in settings, but I can hookup copter to laptop and adjust radius and altitude right?  I think I read somewhere 700 meters is range for FPV and I've seen stupid people going 4,000 feet with copter.

Thanks again!
Ryan
2015-2-8
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

You can change the max height and distance settings in the Phantom Assistant application.
2015-2-8
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

rrbcap.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 11:38
This forum is great!  Lots of experienced people on here.  Much better than going to youtube.  Thank ...

Yes you certainly can go higher but keep an eye open for f16s!
Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rrbcap.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 11:38
This forum is great!  Lots of experienced people on here.  Much better than going to youtube.  Thank ...

You can go as high as you can keep a connection and the same as distance, but it's not recommended.  400 feet altitude max from the FFA in the US and keep within sight for distance.
2015-2-8
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Yeah, I'm out in the Country but I see planes buzzing overhead to land at Port Columbus International.  I would hope they would be 400 feet above but they sure look close otherwise.
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I know most pilots are not members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics but these are the rules I must abide by when flying at our club field. Many are common sense rules that all drone pilots should abide by.

A. GENERAL: A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere. It may not exceed limitations of this code and is
intended exclusively for sport, recreation, education and/or competition. All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and any
additional rules specific to the flying site.
1. Model aircraft will not be flown:
(a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited.
2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This
does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)
(g) Not operate aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts except for helicopters operated under the provisions of AMA Document #555.
(h) Not operate model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or while using any drug that could adversely affect the pilot’s ability to safely control the
model.
(i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates a
hazard to persons or property.
Exceptions:
 Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
 Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may
be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
 Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Program Document.
(AMA Document #718.)
(j) Not operate a turbine-powered aircraft, unless in compliance with the AMA turbine regulations. (AMA Document #510-A.)
3. Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
(a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
(b) An inexperienced pilot is assisted by an experienced pilot.
4. When and where required by rule, helmets must be properly worn and fastened. They must be OSHA, DOT, ANSI, SNELL or NOCSAE approved or comply
with comparable standards.
B. RADIO CONTROL (RC)
1. All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
2. A successful radio equipment ground-range check in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations will be completed before the first flight of a new or
repaired model aircraft.
3. At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place. (AMA Document #706.)
(a) Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are allowed at or in front of the safety line.
(b) At air shows or demonstrations, a straight safety line must be established.
(c) An area away from the safety line must be maintained for spectators.
(d) Intentional flying behind the safety line is prohibited.
4. RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals properly
licensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.
5. RC model aircraft will not knowingly operate within three (3) miles of any pre-existing flying site without a frequency-management agreement. (AMA
Documents #922 and #923.)
6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors
closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s) located at the flightline.
7. Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an
individual.
8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination
systems are inadequate for night flying operations.
9. The pilot of an RC model aircraft shall:
(a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.
(b) Fly using the assistance of a camera or First-Person View (FPV) only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #550.
(c) Fly using the assistance of autopilot or stabilization system only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #560.
2015-2-8
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

rrbcap.gmail Posted at 2015-2-9 11:50
Yeah, I'm out in the Country but I see planes buzzing overhead to land at Port Columbus Internationa ...

If you are curious there are apps like Flightradar24 for the iPad that can tell you all kinds of information about the planes overhead. It is not entirely accurate all the time but it is amazing how often it is spot on. For many planes you can see their current exact altitude along with their ID, company, source and destination. I used this to find out that the UPS jets that pass over my home every evening are at least 3500 ft above me even though they look close enough to touch sometimes. BTW I used the app to see my P2V+ passing overhead on one of those UPS jets before it got delivered a couple of weeks ago.
2015-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules