16570 29 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with the follow me and active tracking modes.

In follow me mode, my Mavic Pro just sits there hovering. As I walk away the Mavic continues to sit there hovering. In this mode I was able to walk away from the Mavic whilst it did nothing.

In active tracking mode the gimbal follows whatever subject I set it to until the subject gets too far away. That works fine, but when the profile mode in active tracking is turned on the Mavic just sits there hovering again. It's my understanding that in active tracking profile mode, the Mavic is supposed to follow and track the subject. In my case I was able to just walk completely out of range whilst the Mavic didn't move.

Am I doing something wrong or the Mavic/App just not working correctly?

2016-11-19
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I should add that I'm on android using DJI GO app version 3.1.0 and a Sony Xperia Z5 phone.

It's pretty frustrating as 'follow me' was one of the main reasons I bought the Mavic.
2016-11-19
Use props
fansa7077f18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368579 ft
United States

When I go into active track with no other mode sets, it stays still, but it follows me in trace mode when also in active track. Sounds weird
2016-11-19
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Took it out today and managed to get active track 'profile mode' to work. So as I walked around the Mavic tracked me with the gimbal as well as moving its own position. Just want I want.

Unfortunately it stopped after about 20 meters and complained that it was entering a restricted area (it shouldn't as it's not a restricted area). I was in a park and the GEO system was turned off. When the Mavic went back into GPS mode I was able to fly around in that area no problem, so there is something a miss there.

Now 'follow me' mode still doesn't work. It seems like the Mavic wants to, it twitches a little when I start moving, but it never actually follows me. Instead it just sits there hovering around.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

Yes! Me too, same problem.

I tested Active Track yesterday at the beach and it hovered in place after the green brackets identified her as the object to track up close. My phone display (iPhone 6) showed my friend with green brackets as being actively tracked, and then I asked her to slowly jog. The Mavic hovered where I parked it to identify the object to track originally, and the Mavic didn't follow her unless I used the slider/scroll degree option to circle her as she jogged (I don't know how else to describe the scroll option since I don't have my Mavic handy to look at once more).

I didn't play with it too much after that because I wasn't sure if it was just my lack of understanding of the feature. So the question remains, once an object is identified in Active Track, should the Mavic require additional input on the slider option in order to actually follow, or should it follow you with absolute 0 selected on the slider.

Thank you for any help!!
2016-11-20
Use props
Bruno REDON
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183602 ft
France

Once à object is identified in active track, there is a "OK" box on the screen to press . Follow Me mode (based on GPS phone) seems not working.
2016-11-20
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

Tested Active Track again today, it seemed to work as expected. Maybe my first time I did something wrong, but I seemed to be able to get it to work today alright
2016-11-20
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So we're all in consensus that active tracking works, but follow me does not?

What phones are you guys using? I'm wondering if this just an android DJI go problem
2016-11-21
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-11-21 08:41

What phones are you g ...

I've only used Active Track, not Follow mode. I'll test out Follow mode this week and update the thread.

Thanks
2016-11-21
Use props
Username Taken
lvl.1

United States

The follow me mode uses the GPS on the phone.  If you have your phone in airplane mode, or you're trying to have it follow something that doesn't have the controller with it, then it won't work.
The profile active track should fly beside the object to track, looking at it from the side (hence 'profile').  In order to have the active track follow directly behind you have to set it up differently.

I haven't tested either mode on my Mavic yet, I'll try to test them out tonight.
2016-11-21
Use props
Bruno REDON
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183602 ft
France

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-11-21 14:41

What phones are you g ...

For me, active track is OK, Follow Me No. I use a low cost phone , Cubot Dinosaur. It works very Well with the Dji Go app, but there is a little latency. Active track works very Well. I tried POI mode too , all is fine.(Sorry for my poor engligh)
2016-11-21
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Username Taken Posted at 2016-11-21 17:04
The follow me mode uses the GPS on the phone.  If you have your phone in airplane mode, or you're tr ...

Yeah I think we all know follow me uses the phones GPS. Having widened my search I see it's not working for quite a lot of people. The common theme is an Android phone, and so the android version of DJI GO, looks like it needs debugging and re-relesing.

DJI seem to be quiet about it at the moment, which is a shame. That being said, the max speed outside of sport mode is only 22 mph, so it's not that useful for vehicles. My old Hexo+ would fly full speed 45mph and still follow a phone via bluetooth. The Mavic is way more advanced so it would be nice if DJI could enable that in the future.
2016-11-21
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I'm here looking for answers on this also.  New Mavic - I can get the point of interest mode to work, but I can't even get the box to light up on the subject in any other mode.  Anyone have any answers or things to try out here?  DJI doesn't have a tutorial on it either printed or video that I know of.  Not above it possibly being something I'm doing wrong, but i'd like to get it figured out.
Sarge
2016-11-29
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

There is definitely a lot of confusion with the active track modes.  They weren't doing what I thought they were supposed to.  I have to get out there and try again myself.  I'll take better notes too.
2016-11-30
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595059 ft
United States

I posted about this issue a few weeks ago and only got a nibble from DJI. I think they know it's an android app issue. I've tested it with my drone in both android DJI GO and iphone version. It works well with the iPhone, doesn't with the android. So it can't be the drone itself.

DJI, please address this issue in a upcoming android DJI GO update. Thank you.
2016-11-30
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I wonder if Litchi would fix this if it's a DJI Go problem?  Might be worth $25 to find out.....
Sarge
2016-11-30
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595059 ft
United States

Has anybody tried this in the new DJI GO 4 App yet? Does the issue still persist?

Thanks
2016-11-30
Use props
Gunpilot399
lvl.1

Australia

Same prob here. Only got my Mavic the other day but have been flying Yuneec Q500+ for past 18 months. Went out today to test Active Track and Follow Me functions. In both instances the Mavic just hovered in place, tracking me on camera but definitely not moving with me. Frustrating as I too really wanted the Active Track feature. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 4g mobile connected to the controller.
2016-12-23
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

I used follow me mode 2 days ago in an empty soccer field. I locked onto my daughter (7 years old) and she ran straight. It could not follow her and lost it's lock almost right away. Then we tried it with her running in a circle. that worked for about one loop but it couldn't keep up with her.
It seems right after that my GPS must of lost GPS but I'm not sure. The drone drifted to the edge of the field where there were trees. I used my iPhone screen to see what it was doing as I couldn't see my drone very well as to which way it was facing. I saw it was moving into the trees so I pulled away but what I didn't know was it was traveling sideways instead of away from the trees, The tree was getting further way but that was because it was in a small open area. I was about 12 feet in the air when it backed into branches from another tree. I lost all four props.
It took 3 times to recalibrate the gimbal. Each time I flew straight up and used the ocean as a level until it got better. It took the third recalibration to get it back to perfect. The gimbal grafts were all in the green, the first time the green was a bit longer showing it was ok but it wasn't but the second time you would think it was ok because the graft showed just green dots. The third time it was fully corrected.

DJI please note: The gimbal sensor grafts are not accurate enough to make the decision whether the gimbal has been recalibrate to 100% accurate. They need to be more sensitive.

So if you have trouble with recalibrating your gimbal and it you don't like the results do it again till it gets to your liking.

Also on my first test first flight the whole left side was totally out of focus after beinging calibrated the first time. The second gimbal calibration probably fixed the focus problem. I used the sharpness mode at 90% which outlined everything in red which showed what was in focus. Now everything is correctly in focus. It took three gimble calibrations to get the gimbal level.

I made a new thread with this post to highlight the problem with relying on the gimbal senor to tell you your gimbal is calibrated.
2016-12-23
Use props
gnom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 716572 ft
Spain

I want to do an active track tomorrow. The tracked object is a car and i want to drive on a street that is going up and down.
Will mavic hold the altitude in relation to the start point all the way?
My unterstandig is if i start on top and go down and up again it will be no problem, or am i wrong?

2016-12-30
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

There is a terrain mode that will allow it to adjust it's altitude in relation to the subject it's tracking.

I've not tried it.
2017-1-1
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Only works ascending though. So uphill only.
2017-1-1
Use props
Cinelli
New

United States

I had this same problem a few days ago trying to use the follow me mode. When I started moving forward the Mavic started going to the left (right into a bunch of trees). It then started to lose the GPS signal. Lucky for me I was high enough to go over the trees, but it was a few nervy minutes getting the drone to come back home. There is a YouTube video of guy trying the same thing, but sadly he wasn’t as lucky as I was. I suggest never using follow me, because it doesn’t seem like a one off issue.
2017-1-3
Use props
Joshibob
New

United Kingdom

I'm here posting for my dad, we recently bought the Magic at the uk drone show couple of weeks back and he tried active track today. He said when he tried to do it a red box popped up with front sensors not functioning. Anyone else had this issue?
2017-1-3
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

I think its becuase you didnt say "Follow me, Please"  
just kidding, how is it coming along now?
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Joshibob Posted at 2017-1-3 12:37
I'm here posting for my dad, we recently bought the Magic at the uk drone show couple of weeks back and he tried active track today. He said when he tried to do it a red box popped up with front sensors not functioning. Anyone else had this issue?

Can you try again and post a screenshot.
Is the obstacle avoidance enabled?
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cinelli Posted at 2017-1-3 11:43
I had this same problem a few days ago trying to use the follow me mode. When I started moving forward the Mavic started going to the left (right into a bunch of trees). It then started to lose the GPS signal. Lucky for me I was high enough to go over the trees, but it was a few nervy minutes getting the drone to come back home. There is a YouTube video of guy trying the same thing, but sadly he wasn’t as lucky as I was. I suggest never using follow me, because it doesn’t seem like a one off issue.

Did you get the green box, could it have been locked onto something else.
Test it out in a wide open area.
2017-1-3
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

I had a problem with this early on, but I think it was more related to the contrast of the object and the background and/or sun reflections - which really seem to throw many things off
2017-1-3
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 12:43
Did you get the green box, could it have been locked onto something else.
Test it out in a wide open area.

But Ken the green box has nothing to do with follow me. Follow me is supposed to use the GPS of the phone not the vision system.

Think some posters are mixing up the two.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-1-7 13:32
But Ken the green box has nothing to do with follow me. Follow me is supposed to use the GPS of the phone not the vision system.

Think some posters are mixing up the two.

Yes sorry, reading too many threads. The green box you only see in Active Track and Gesture modes.
2017-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules