Compass error
18618 33 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7c508358
lvl.1

United States

Hi All, I purchasesed a Phantom 3 Standard and have flown is a couple of times and keep getting a compass error and it goes into ATTI mode? I have tried the compass calibration many time and also did a IMU reclaiibration and still keep getting the error. I know i'm far enough away from any interferance as the nearest house is over 2 miles away where i fly.
2016-11-19
Use props
Devildog9999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73865 ft
United States

What version of the Go app, and what version of the firmware are you running?
2016-11-19
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1754019 ft
United States

Hi! I went through a similar problem with my P3A. I suggest you read through this forum thread, all the way to the end:

phantom-3-compass-error-free-flights-anyone?

If the problem is consistent, and doesn't go away after properly calibrating the compass, ultimately the solution is to replace the compass module antenna, which is on the landing gear.

SKYER
“Fly your drone as though you were flying in it yourself…”
See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w

2016-11-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you please answer Devildog9999's questions at your earliest convenience?
2016-11-19
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Devildog9999 Posted at 2016-11-19 13:29

As far as I know it's the latest ones, it up dated when I first set it up.
2016-11-20
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-20 17:05
As far as I know it's the latest ones, it up dated when I first set it up.

App 3.1.0
Drone 1.7.90
2016-11-20
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Devildog9999 Posted at 2016-11-19 13:29

App 3.1.0
Drone 1.7.90
2016-11-21
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-19 15:45
Could you please answer Devildog9999's questions at your earliest convenience?

App 3.1.0
Drone 1.7.90
2016-11-21
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Anyone have an answer?
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-22 12:11
App 3.1.0
Drone 1.7.90

Did you notice this right after updating firmware, from a hard landing or is this occurring right out of the box? Do you attempt a compass calibration while holding a mobile device?
2016-11-23
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-23 12:18
Did you notice this right after updating firmware, from a hard landing or is this occurring right  ...

The Firm ware updated the first time I powered it up, this has been an issue from the first flight. I have only flown it about 4 times the first day. I want to get this issue resolved before using it any more.
2016-11-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-24 15:37
The Firm ware updated the first time I powered it up, this has been an issue from the first flight ...

There are two main possibilities, you have not performed a good compass calibration, or there is a problem with the compass module.

So far, you have not answered the question about compass calibration. The most common cause of compass problems is because the calibration was done badly to begin with. It needs to be done in an area well away from any steel or iron, preferably in a grass field, never on concrete. You must also make sure you have no metal objects on you during the calibration.

Once you get a good calibration, it is important not to take off from a place where there is any steel or iron, again, keep away from concrete, do not take off from a wooden bench in a park for example, as they sometimes have steel frames. Not from on top of a car either.

Also, a compass error has nothing to do with the IMU, so you do not need to keep doing an IMU calibration.

2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-24 12:37
The Firm ware updated the first time I powered it up, this has been an issue from the first flight ...

Could you please clarify how you have been calibrating the compass and whether you're carrying anything that could be affecting the calibration, such as your cell phone.
2016-11-25
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-25 15:15
Could you please clarify how you have been calibrating the compass and whether you're carrying any ...

I do it in the middle of a field away from everything including the controller and phone. The thing I don't get is it calibrates and then looses the compass while flying and it seams to go in and out.

Sorry for the slow response, I'm not on the computer everyday.
2016-11-27
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same issue. DJI checked the flight logs and offered a RMA warranty repair. however, since it's less than a month old I'm returning to retailer for replacement.

I can reproduce the compass error at will.
If I do a CCW compass calibration, rotating the quad CW in flight will cause the error once the nose gets to the direction the calibration finished.

I was able to do 15 rotations today with the error on every rotation at the same angle. Rotating CCW does not produce the error.
2016-11-27
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Watched the DJI video again and took it out in a wide open field away from everything including the RC and Phone stood there naked (pun intended ) and tried the compass calibration again and now it won't even calibrate at all. Starting to feel violated on this purchase - brand new out of the box and NFG. I live 300 miles from where I purchased this as nobody retails DJI drones in the small town I live in.
2016-11-27
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

Just to add, I get the green ok on the horizontal spin but get the error yellow flashes on vertical spin.
2016-11-27
Use props
G_RUD
lvl.1

United States

I bought my P3S on thursday. I have flow it in three different locations. All three flights was constant nagging about interference. All three flights when I try to calibrate the compass it will always pass the first horizontal calibration then fail on the vertical one as you mention. All device are far from me as I do this. It will finally go after 10 or so tries. Then today on flight location 3 while in the air I kept getting compass errors and it would go into Atti mode then go back into GPS.

Also on app 3.10 and drone 1.7.9

Clearly DJI has an issue here whether it firmware or hardware but I hope they figure it out ASAP.

Kobuc you are not alone on this issue and it looks like at least 4 other threads are talking about this issue. Hopefully someone will find something of good use soon. Luckily i practiced flying without GPS aid but i feel like this is asking for trouble. Best of luck.
2016-11-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-28 03:50
I do it in the middle of a field away from everything including the controller and phone. The thin ...

How far into the flight do you get til the message appears? If this issue continues to persists, then either an exchange or a repair service would be the next course of action. Depending on when and where you got it, an exchange may be possible through either your dealer or DJI directly.
2016-11-28
Use props
Kobuc
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-28 11:44
How far into the flight do you get til the message appears? If this issue continues to persists, t ...

Did ya read my last post? It won't calibrate at all now.
2016-11-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kobuc Posted at 2016-11-29 10:57
Did ya read my last post? It won't calibrate at all now.

Yes, and if it still won't calibrate, then either an exchange or a repair service would be in order. I provided you with a few options to address it. If your unable to take it back to your dealer directly, you can contact the North American Support Center via support.us@dji.com or call +1 (818) 235 0789.
2016-11-29
Use props
meltedmantis
New

United States

I just got a new p3 standard on thursday, and mine is having the same issue.  Mine also was updated upon first switch on.  After doing imu recal and compass recal and trying multiple locations where a p2v worked fine at live chat suggested I send it to service, but i have to wonder if this has something to do with this latest update?

mine seems to calibrate, but usually within a 10 min period it will say "magnetic filed, switching to atti" around 3 times, every single flight i'v put on it since getting it.  and yes they mispelled "field" in the error message.... lol
2016-11-29
Use props
G_RUD
lvl.1

United States

G_RUD Posted at 2016-11-27 18:55
I bought my P3S on thursday. I have flow it in three different locations. All three flights was cons ...

Well I found out my calibration kept failing because of my apple watch..... Took it off and bam it would calibrate first try.

This still dosent explain my compass errors in my last flight unless there was a bad calibration.
2016-11-29
Use props
userbcf1f06e3f
New

United States

Anyone use Google pixel phone for flying.I am thinking about upgrading not sure if it's compatible. Any comments would help.  Thanks
2016-11-29
Use props
Gnomad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 173299849 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't really understand why DJI is having so many compass problems. The GPS should be able to cover for the compass and for the programming to drop out of GPS mode when there is a compass error is amatuer at best. I have several other drones that can take off form a car roof, fly next to a chain link fence, etc and never have a compass problem. Something is very wrong in what DJI is producing
2016-12-18
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

G_RUD Posted at 2016-11-29 19:56
Well I found out my calibration kept failing because of my apple watch..... Took it off and bam it would calibrate first try.

This still dosent explain my compass errors in my last flight unless there was a bad calibration.

A couple of other things that can cause a poor calibration.  I learned these the hard way.  
Don't wear a magnetic bracelet, might sound obvious but it just didn't occur to me since I wear it all the time.
Also, I'm a golfer and typically carry a magnetic ball marker on my cap.  Bad news when you try to calibrate the bird by holding it above your head.
Lastly, don't wear you fitbit!
2016-12-19
Use props
paulears0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21919 ft
United Kingdom

Too late for this topic, but this could be picked up in a search - I've found the cause of my persistent and returning compass error that required repeated degaussing. In the case I have for the phantom was a handy slot just big enough for my ipdad - IN IT'S CASE. The case, has two powerful magnets in it, and if I put the drone away without thinking, there's a 1 in four chance the compass will be right next to the magnet! Now the iPad case is not in the flight case, no more errors!
2018-4-23
Use props
paulears0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Too late for this topic, but this could be picked up in a search - I've found the cause of my persistent and returning compass error that required repeated degaussing. In the case I have for the phantom was a handy slot just big enough for my ipdad - IN IT'S CASE. The case, has two powerful magnets in it, and if I put the drone away without thinking, there's a 1 in four chance the compass will be right next to the magnet! Now the iPad case is not in the flight case, no more errors!
2018-4-23
Use props
paulears0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-4-23
Use props
paulears
New
Flight distance : 6375 ft

United Kingdom

2018-4-23
Use props
djiuser_A9vMLYiFL4K4
New

Romania

Hello. I had a problem with my compass on the phantom 3 standard. I had no values on the sensor state, i replaced the compass but i still can't calibrate the compass because i recieve an error with magnetic field interference. I keep having this proble even though i tried calibrating it outside in the field with no phone on me. Do you have any recomandations?
2020-4-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It could be you were sold a bad compass - one that's too far gone to calibrate.  You could return it for another one.  Or you could try to fix it.  Peruse some of these threads.  See vid.  Good luck.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=de ... plvar=0&PC=LCTS

2020-4-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_A9vMLYiFL4K4 Posted at 4-1 10:42
Hello. I had a problem with my compass on the phantom 3 standard. I had no values on the sensor state, i replaced the compass but i still can't calibrate the compass because i recieve an error with magnetic field interference. I keep having this proble even though i tried calibrating it outside in the field with no phone on me. Do you have any recomandations?

I had a problem with my compass on the phantom 3 standard. I had no values on the sensor state, i replaced the compass but i still can't calibrate the compass because i recieve an error with magnetic field interference. I keep having this proble even though i tried calibrating it outside in the field with no phone on me. Do you have any recomandations?
The first thing to check is:  Is teh compass properly connected now?
What does the app show now for your compass?
If it's still showing nothing, the compass is not connected and will never calibrate.
2020-4-1
Use props
djiuser_A9vMLYiFL4K4
New

Romania

Labroides Posted at 4-1 14:42
I had a problem with my compass on the phantom 3 standard. I had no values on the sensor state, i replaced the compass but i still can't calibrate the compass because i recieve an error with magnetic field interference. I keep having this proble even though i tried calibrating it outside in the field with no phone on me. Do you have any recomandations?
The first thing to check is:  Is teh compass properly connected now?
What does the app show now for your compass?

Hello. Now the app shows numbers when i enter sensor state...different values...before changing it it used to show me only zero at the values there
2020-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules