DJIGO 3.1.0 with crappy 2009 esri maps
3344 15 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I usually like to withhold criticism until I'm really sure something is bad, however, in this case I am going with guns blazing.

This has to be the absolute worse update to DJIGO.  I wasn't even aware it had updated until I tried to go out and fly.  The first indication of trouble was the "Satellite positioning off. Fly with caution" message which led to the discovery of the crappy "here" map that only partially loaded.  I eventually got 14 satellites and figured it was safe to take off and that's when I discovered the crappy video transmission with delays I could count in seconds!  I had to bring the Phantom back visually because I couldn't tell where it was by looking at the choppy video link that kept dropping out.

The maps turned out to be nothing more than old imagery from 2009.  I checked a couple of online maps that used a baseline map from esri and, sure enough, the exact imagry that is showing up on the DJIGO app.  See here: ARCgis / esri imagry

Time to roll this this one back DJI!
2016-11-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I agree, the maps I am getting here in Australia are at least 6 years old, and complete rubbish. Bad form DJI!
2016-11-19
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Totally agree...I updated to the new Go app and had the same (FLY WITH CAUTION) coming on and off all the time but video wasnt too bad. Deleted 3.10 when I came back from flight...deleted 3.10 and installed Go app 3.0 and flew again...no problems 17 sats and no fly with caution popping up and that was flying at the same place only 10 mins later AND the got the good maps back. (Phantom Advanced/Go app on Galaxt S2 Tablet) Cheers mate !!
2016-11-19
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-20 08:56
I agree, the maps I am getting here in Australia are at least 6 years old, and complete rubbish. Bad ...

Totally AGREE on that one !!
2016-11-19
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-20 09:56
I agree, the maps I am getting here in Australia are at least 6 years old, and complete rubbish. Bad ...

Is this yet again one of those "insignificant changes" like geofencing and third party battery invalidation that DJI believes we don't need to know about? I'll wait until I actually try the new App before commenting on the changes but, if these changes are for the betterment of the flight experience, then I'd request DJI to explain those benefits so that we can fully exploit the changes. The absence of any mention in the release notes suggests that there might be no benefits.

Edit. I've now had a chance to fly. The good news is that the flight itself was fine although, like others have said, it seems to me that I can no longer zoom the maps down to the same level that I was previously able to. Whilst DJI itself may have found advantages in changing map providers, I can see absolutely no benefits as far as owners are concerned although I would also say that, based on the location I flew today, any map changes have not caused me any great concerns. My major upset is that this appears to be yet another change which has slipped through without a mention in the release notes. Are release notes intended to advise users of all significant changes or is it just a forum for DJI to announce what it wants owners to know?
2016-11-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Give them the full nine yards? Haha
A Full belt... Ye haw!!

RedHotPoker
2016-11-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-19 15:56

If you fly over a Ghost Town, you'll get to see it in its golden hay days... Ha

Land by the saloon and enjoy Happy Hour. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-11-20
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Its odd, I've seen a lot of complaints about the "here" maps, but both my iPhone and iPad with 3.1.0 appear to be using apple maps
image1.PNG
2016-11-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-21 09:20
Its odd, I've seen a lot of complaints about the "here" maps, but both my iPhone and iPad with 3.1.0 ...

It is not really that odd, the Go App for iOS is developed separately from the Android version, so the iOS version is licensed to use Apple Maps, but the Android version can use other suppliers.
2016-11-20
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-21 06:28
It is not really that odd, the Go App for iOS is developed separately from the Android version, so ...

The next GO app release will be a paid version. DJI has been losing $$$$ since 3.0 was released. One fail after another. I stay with 2.91 for obvious reasons.
2016-11-20
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

Betamace Posted at 2016-11-21 02:18
The next GO app release will be a paid version. DJI has been losing $$$$ since 3.0 was released. O ...

Just curious. Why 2.9.1 and not 3.0 which still uses Google maps?
2016-11-21
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Bourgeois Posted at 2016-11-21 22:11

In my case:
2.9.1 on my Lenovo Tab2 A-10 has less FPV lag than 3.0.1
Only one out of my three mobile devices run well on 3.01
All three of my mobile devices run flawlessly on 2.9.1
2016-11-21
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Bourgeois Posted at 2016-11-21 07:11

Google Maps you say? It seems that Litchi has always and still does use Google maps for IOS and the Litchi Hub, which is great for me because they have mapped all the new construction around me - practically to real time. (Love my Litchi)
Go app for IOS shows Tom-Tom as the creator - same as Apple maps. Do you think they have to use Tom-Tom to layer all the Geo-fencing stuff?
Anyway, I agree with the OP - Please Go app - use Google Maps!

Go app

Go app

Litchi

Litchi

2016-11-21
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Everyone complaining just fork out the bucks for litchi and get it over with. There's a reason why DJI is free and litchi cost $$$
2016-11-21
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

Add one more to the scenario...  HERE maps showing my house (which is within 15 miles of the Hartford CT area not an "insignificant Northeast Area of the U.S.) are at least 3 years old.. showing a vehicle we no longer have and remodeling (a deck on the back) that doesn't even show up.  (smh)....
2016-11-21
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules