Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying with Gimbal Cover, yes or no?
29630 27 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

I have watched a few videos on the Mavic and some people say its okay and other say not too. Few reason for not too was camera glare, and blocking the vent behind the gimbal. The cover does have a slit on the side with would allow air to be sucked in... Few reason to use the cover, keep lens debry and scratch free, prevent water / dust from being sucked into the vent on landing...

What is the official DJI response on the gimbal cover when flying? Part of me thinks its okay to leave it on, why add a slit on the side for air and make the cover crystal clear if it was not okay.
2016-11-20
Use props
Boardtalk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209642 ft
Ireland

I plan to leave it on for the first couple of flights just in case I land too hard, or into a tree/wall.
2016-11-20
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Personally I'm not flying with it on but I don't think it will hurt on cold days and short flights.
2016-11-20
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

drone valley had a good clip on it,   he says to leave it off,  as the  air flow through the drone is behind it,  and it cools the drone down better if its off,  but then on the other side, if you land in  a area that is going to kick up dust and stuff,  that is then sucked into the front vent and onto the circuit boards,  so not really sure what is best,   Instructions say leave it on when learning to fly, to protect the gimbal  and remove it for best pictures,    I think its looks better with it on,  but  its not about looks,   if any knows for sure,  please share info,  seen videos with it on and off,
2016-11-20
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

HWKIDD Posted at 2016-11-20 12:00
drone valley had a good clip on it,   he says to leave it off,  as the  air flow through the drone i ...

You're right Instructions does say that so it's okay to leave on. If it was an issue then DJI would advise against it.
2016-11-20
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

If you want your Mavic to Malfunction after some Months due to heat, leave it on.
If not, remove it.

2016-11-20
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.1

Belgium

If those temps would kill electronics laptops wouldn't live long. If DJI didn't want you to use it, they wouldn't have made it transparent
2016-11-20
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

I would recommend using the cover if you are doing practice flights (and not planning on using any photos/video that you may take).

Despite the Mavic being pretty sturdy, the Gimbal mechanism seems to be a weak point.  I discovered this on my 1st flight, which resulted in a low height (1.2m ), low speed crash, and snapped the gimbal right off its mounting plate....   

The prop arms pretty much protected the gimbal from the initial crash, but when it fell I guess the gimbal took a direct hit... and snapped off... straight back to DJI for repair/replacement

If the gimabl cover had been on I am pretty sure it would have survived the crash unscathed.

Obviously the cover will mess up optics so take it off if you are planning on taking photos and/or video, but otherwise, it i an extra level pof protection for a weak point on the Mavic.
2016-11-20
Use props
fansce453f00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205213 ft
United States

WebCo Posted at 2016-11-20 13:31
I would recommend using the cover if you are doing practice flights (and not planning on using any photos/video that you may take).

Despite the Mavic being pretty sturdy, the Gimbal mechanism seems to be a weak point.  I discovered this on my 1st flight, which resulted in a low height (1.2m ), low speed crash, and snapped the gimbal right off its mounting plate....   

Just modify the clear cover, I'm thinking drilling some holes in or even cut the corners on the side to allow more air in.
2017-4-2
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

This is real simple guys.  You need to have a UV filter on it at least to remove the helmet.  It's like flying an X3 or a Phantom 4 without the UV filter.

SO, either put a filter on it of some sort or you are exposing the only thing that protects the lens which is not removable to all the elements in the air, bugs, dust, water, whatever.

YOU MUST put a filter on it.  That they chose this product to be the first to not have a UV filter come stock is sort of mind boggling to be honest.  DO NOT fly it without something covering the lens.

I haven't figured out if thats the lens or a non-removable UV filter but either way, I'm not taking a chance since it's mot removable.  You are NEVER supposed to touch a lens and it's right there.  My filters will be here in a couple days and I plan on never flying without them.
2017-4-2
Use props
Scuzzking
lvl.1
Flight distance : 452037 ft
United Kingdom

@ DJI what is the best thing to do for mavic flights,,,  keep DJI gimbal cover on or remove for airflow mavic  YES or NO
2017-6-27
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

The problem with the gimbal cover included is that you get a smear line / reflection line when you fly into the sun...

I would recommend this http://amzn.to/2ti1ThU since it protects the gimbal side/side and keeps a open hold for the camera lens

http://amzn.to/2ti1ThU
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

it prevents air from fully cooling the vents behind the gimble, and puts massive glare across your footage if its sunny, i would remove it, and defo dont forget to remove the gimble clamp also
all we need now are Polar Pro gimble cases with holes in the sides haha
2017-6-27
Use props
MDL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23091 ft
Australia

Good question. Yep. Get glare if in the sun in your footage.
2017-6-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI surely intended flying with the cover on.  That is why it has the protective rubber cover.  At the right light angle there is a reflection from the inside of the cover.  To lessen this I have blacked out the silver around the lens.  DJI should have made the lens barrel flat black.  Note there is a slot in the cover to let air in.  I use the cover about half of the time.
2017-6-27
Use props
dimgo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315958 ft
Germany

I'm flying without the cover. Less glare and more details.
2017-6-27
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I never took off with the cover. I do believe the image is better without it.
And I assume it has a very little protective function in case of a crash.
Cheers.
2017-6-28
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I use this when flying near obstacles.  Good protection, no glare, no ventilation problems.
gimbal cover_.jpg
2017-6-28
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

If you're sitting on the ground fiddling with the settings, find a shady spot and remove the cover.

If it's your first 10+ flights leave the cover on it will save your camera and gimble in the event of a mishap.

When the machine is flying there is enough air to cool the electronics with the cover on.

While you can do Fun shooting  with it on remove the cover when doing any keeper work.

The most important $15 investment you can make is buying a set of landing gear extenders.

Remember in a Return to Home the machine might land in rocks woods or tall grass the tall landing gear gets the gimble off the ground.

Fly Safe Mike
2017-6-28
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Got an error " the post doesn't meet the size requirements"

My answer
NO
2017-6-28
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Most of the time, no.
2017-6-28
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Clockman Posted at 2017-6-29 03:06
I will me leaving it on. Dji intended it be left on. They have included the separate gimbal clamp for travel and shipping purposes. The cover is clearly meant for flight. For those worrying about overheating, relax. The opening will let enough air in and combined with flight I would think it gets a lot more cooling than your typical laptop which will last for years. The sun glare maybe an issue but I try to avoid flying into the sun anyway because of the possibility of prop shadows showing up in video.

The cover may be "clearly meant for flight" as you put it, but shooting high res video through a .01 cent piece of plastic is totally illogical. With that said, I have never flown with mine on.
2017-6-29
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

My answer is NO
2017-6-29
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

My answer is NO
2017-6-29
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Leave it off for airflow.  
2017-6-29
Use props
VMav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76814 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-6-28 06:11
I use this when flying near obstacles.  Good protection, no glare, no ventilation problems.

+1 on that. I'm using it too.
2017-6-29
Use props
JTSmith1978
lvl.1
United States

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-11-20 09:45
If you want your Mavic to Malfunction after some Months due to heat, leave it on.
If not, remove it.

ohhh, i LOVE the color of that drone! wish they sold them like that
2020-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules