1259 3 2014-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnkilcline
lvl.3

Portugal

Here is a question for DJI support.

https://vimeo.com/107734994

I momentarily lost direction on a flight the other day, flying across a river,  I was lining up to fly directly back towards me, when,
I lost perspective on the tree,

it was sticking out further than I thought at its base, when I saw it looming up on the screen I tried to go up but the twigs caught a prop and it cartwheeled into the other bank.

With no access to the other side, props still turning, tried to accelerate out,but to no avail,  so killed the motors, and came home (25 minute drive) and went to ask my neighbour,
if he  had a dingy to get across the river, they didn't have one but immediately said "come on we will get it for you",

drove like mad back there (25 minutes)  they waded across and got it back bless them, the lights were still flashing and I had 98 minutes of river bank video recorded, no water in anywhere, but when we turned it on at home smoke from the camera base, and an acrid smell.

No physical damage, (thanks to the camera guard fitted between the landing gear), long story short, went to local DJI dealer and purchased replacement camera & gimbal set.

Have now fitted that to the bird, opened it up and checked for anyobvious damage, none!

Have now flown again and everything is working as it should.

Now, my question is, given that the video carried on recording and gave me 98 minutes of a river bank, complete with moving water just inches away, I got to wondering IF the kit is NOT designed to be recording for so long and something burnt out on the board.

So given that the maximum flight would be around 25 minutes, could some sort of cut off device be incorporated in the video circuit to stop the recording?
(save someone else suffering the same misfortune)

Incidentally, (sorry this is a long post) the videofiles were split into 3 files , of 49 minutes, 43 minutes and 7 minutes, and the date stamp/times on the files all equate to the timing of the events described, The card was a 32Gb card and still had over 20Gb of free space on it.

So, DJI over to you, the camera/gimbal can be made available to you for an autopsy if you require
2014-10-3
Use props
fourfournine
New

United States

That was a close call, glad you got to the ground w/o hitting the water. I may be looking at replacing my camera and was wondering what did the new camera/gimble cost you?
2014-11-23
Use props
johnkilcline
lvl.3

Portugal

fourfournine@gm Posted at 2014-11-24 09:49
That was a close call, glad you got to the ground w/o hitting the water. I may be looking at replaci ...

600 euros from my local DJI dealer here in Coimbra, Portugal
2014-11-24
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

johnkilcline@gm Posted at 2014-11-25 02:28
600 euros from my local DJI dealer here in Coimbra, Portugal

Ebay will soon be full of stock gimbals and DJI will see what an oportunity they have missed.

Vision+ without limitations and with choice of gimbals, no more unneccesary gimbal servicing.......
No need to change the stock wifi etc...  just a bit of wiring....

2014-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules