Blank map without Home and Craft position !
906 11 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 464531 ft
Italy

Went out for two flights after the upgrade of DJI Go App to the 3.1 rev.
Everything smooth until the craft became invisible because of a huge tree near me. Walked a bit to regain the view and, realizing that wasn't so easy to see my P4, I thought "Never mind.. just take a look to the map and...... (!)" Everything I could see was a blank screen as map.
Ok... don't panic. Where is the Home icon ?
And where is the craft icon ? How is oriented ?
Urgh !!! (Urgh wasn't exactely the exclamation that I did, but I try to keep a polite language here).
To get the P4 back I decided to raise the altitude and try to guess the orientation by the picture of the camera. I managed to do it, but I didn't like the situation.
I read about the issues related to the Here maps.. but what about the missing icons of the home point and craft position ? I can survive with Here maps, but if home and craft icons are missing it's a huge problem.
Anyone has experimented the same ?

2016-11-20
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Yeah it was probably because of HERE Maps, i don't really know who thought it was a good idea to implement HERE Maps and get rid of Google Maps, but whoever did, needs a pair of new glasses.

Vote here and lets bring this to DJIs attention: http://forum.dji.com/thread-72876-1-1.html
2016-11-20
Use props
fanscd256e3f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

do you have Internet? needs to display map.. also is this here maps a uk thing  my go app is current  and the map still says google
2016-11-20
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

fanscd256e3f Posted at 2016-11-20 21:13
do you have Internet? needs to display map.. also is this here maps a uk thing  my go app is current ...

I am not sure if it is a European thing, I think I have seen a few people complaining about it from the US.. I think I am still under Google maps running the latest (bugged) version of DJI Go (no bars in the IMU Calibration screen).. Even my best friends house that was finished being built three months ago shows up so....
2016-11-20
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

Mobilcams Posted at 2016-11-21 05:19
I am not sure if it is a European thing, I think I have seen a few people complaining about it fro ...

I did not have internet connection since I was using a Nexus 7. As soon as I arrived home I turned on the wifi on the Nexus and it started to download the Here Maps.
But what worried me was the absence of the icons of the craft and the home position.
Now I cached the maps of the area in which I would like to fly, but I can't say if that will be enough to make the icons visibles.
2016-11-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Silvestrone Posted at 2016-11-21 03:53
I did not have internet connection since I was using a Nexus 7. As soon as I arrived home I turned ...

Hopefully they get things figured out.. It seems like this release has a few significant bugs in it, and their choice to go with different mapping leaves a lot to be desired.. Maybe they had a falling out with Google?
2016-11-21
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue in go app, the map showed the craft etc fine until i went to zoom out and in then back to camera i noticed that the aircraft wasnt showing the white and green line had gone all it said was HERE where the aircraft was supposed to be, had no orientation luckily was was just flying out to sea at the time, and yes i had wifi on the shield map was loaded etc. litchi wasnt effected that worked fine
2016-11-21
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-11-21 21:12
I had the same issue in go app, the map showed the craft etc fine until i went to zoom out and in th ...

Tomorrow I plan to try once again, but if I can't get back the icons of Home and Craft position+orientation, then I will downgrade to the 3.0.1.
I have already downloaded the APK 3.0.1.of the DJI Go App to my Android device.
If I can't know the position/orientation of the craft once it is flying, that is what I plan to do :
1 - land after the first test flight (made exclusively to see if I can get back those icons)
- if the test is negative, then move to the next two steps :
2 - remove the 3.1.0 App from my android device
3 - reinstall the 3.0.1 app from the APK file.
Ok to fly keeping the craft on the line of sight, but is too dangerous to fly in a new environment without a clear indication of the position/orientation of the craft on the monitor.
2016-11-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Silvestrone Posted at 2016-11-25 09:21
Tomorrow I plan to try once again, but if I can't get back the icons of Home and Craft position+or ...

If you're stuck the 'Radar' can be very useful for navigating home.
2016-11-25
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

Thanks for the suggestion Aardvark,
I'll try to rely on the Radar, which honestly I never used before.
Indeed I got accustomed to check the icons of the craft and the Home point pin on the map, and therefore I felt totally lost when I noticed their absence on the 3.1.0 rev.
By the way, it seems to me a really weird thing to have a technological gem, such as the P4, coupled with a software that comes with no documentation at all (except some video tutorial).
2016-11-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Silvestrone Posted at 2016-11-25 14:01
Thanks for the suggestion Aardvark,
I'll try to rely on the Radar, which honestly I never used befor ...

The use of DJI Go is briefly covered in the manual, but you are right it could be a lot better.

You can 'cache' your maps at home if you know where you will be flying. I often fly without map because usually always have visual contact (and no cellular). Even with a ground reference point it can be difficult to spot sometimes.

The radar is straight forward to use. If you imagine you are standing in centre of radar, it shows the orientation of the aircraft in relation to you. Rotate so that it points towards centre (red arrow), make sure you have enough height, push right stick forward and watch distance reading decrease as it approaches you. If it's windy decrease height if safe to do so through FPV or direct visual contact.
2016-11-25
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-25 15:25
The use of DJI Go is briefly covered in the manual, but you are right it could be a lot better.

Y ...

Yeap,
I was used to pre-cache the maps in the area I was supposed to fly. I wasn't aware, however, that with the rev 3.1.0 the Google maps previously cached were gone. That's why I got a totally blank map last time. Now I have pre-cache the Here maps. Let see if things gets better with this additional knowledge.
Thanks for the advice.
2016-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules