Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Solution to pass 500 m with P4
12Next >
12686 65 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
remi_rl
lvl.2
France

Hi,

I there any solutions to pass the 500m with the P4 ?

With Litchi or a tuned Firmware ?

best regards

2016-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, a simple solution, did you Turn Off Beginner Mode? ;-)
Leave Maximum Distance blank.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-23
Use props
remi_rl
lvl.2
France

I am talking about max height ... I use a P3 since 2 years and i can fly up to 1 km
2016-11-23
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 259413 ft
Latvia

I've been wondering this too.  Old P2V+ would go 1km up easy but seems like the P4 is governed to 500m.

Watching this space....
2016-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 02:51
I am talking about max height ... I use a P3 since 2 years and i can fly up to 1 km

It helps to be specific. If you want to fly higher than 500m, DJI doesn't allow that.
But some other drone manufacturers do. ;-)

There used to be a hidden way, first reach max elevation, press return to home, then push right stick forward...
DJI corrected this...

RedHotPoker
2016-11-23
Use props
fansdec58103
lvl.1

United States

Yo you people are the reason drones are going to be banned one day soon. There's no reason you need to be flying above the 500 meter height restriction for ANY reason. You're gonna hit a plane or a helicopter or some other air vehicle with people in it and literally ruin drones for everyone. Don't be that one guy please. The fact that you can go just about as far as you want in terms of horizontal distance and up to 500 meters in vertical distance is PLENTY. Don't be stupid people. Seriously
2016-11-23
Use props
remi_rl
lvl.2
France

I just want to say to you " can you shut up please"  Fansdec58103 ? Many thanks guys

When you live in mountains you need to go higher that 500 meters if you want to see the top. I alwyas flight 100 metres from the cliff. And there is no risk with plane. They are above the mountains.
2016-11-23
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

A good friend of mine still does it with his P4 (up to 3KM) (I don't have a P4, but my P4Pro is ordered!) but he is also very Responsible of his actions, he contacts local Air Traffic Controller if flying over 500m.

I didn't bother to ask him how he does it, i feel 500m is plenty anyway.

And also let's say you take off from a Mountain, you can go 500m from take-off point from said Mountain.
2016-11-23
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 16:08
I just want to say to you " can you shut up please"  Fansdec58103 ? Many thanks guys

When you live ...

He's only trying to protect the hobby. The fact is that the limit in France is 150m above the take-off point, mountains or no mountains. You can already go more than 3 times above that.
2016-11-23
Use props
remi_rl
lvl.2
France

The question of this thread is : how the unlock a P4 to pass 500 m, please take away is you don't know.  

Dosen't matter what you think about morality, rules and etc.

2016-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 09:08

When you live ...

Just a thought: Please keep the conversations light and airy... No need to be angry or frustrated.
Everyone has an opinion, and that's great, living in a free democracy.
You asked a question, and received several replies.

500m is the max, otherwise you need a profession drone, not a hobby grade model... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-11-23
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 09:46
The question of this thread is : how the unlock a P4 to pass 500 m, please take away is you don't kn ...

Actually, good sense and morality have a role everywhere in life. If reading a post makes you feel unhappy just ignore it.
2016-11-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

500m is from when you turn on the Phantom.  

So if you are at the peak of a mountain and you then turned on your Phantom, you could fly 500m straight up from THAT point.  You can also fly DOWN the mountain as far as you'd like (it will indicate a negative altitude, but has no limit).
2016-11-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 06:46
The question of this thread is : how the unlock a P4 to pass 500 m, please take away is you don't kn ...

Aloha remi_rl,

Living in or near mountains has its own challenges.  I live next to 2000 feet of near vertical cliffs and ridges referred to in Hawai'ian as Pali.  My P3 and P4 are set to 500 m now and I have started to fly up the mountain to 1643 feet above my take-off point.  

Next to the mountain, it is an insane view and it is also in the scenic circle island path of planes and choppers.  I stay well within 400 feet of the mountain (structure) I am required to stay within because the manned aircraft regularly violate their flight restriction of 500 feet from structures.  I will be getting Lume Cubes through RedHotPoker so the extremely bright strobe can alert the violators that a drone is present within the law, (but ready to take a dive).

When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade!  If I need to get above the 2000 feet of the mountain top, there are ways to do it but they require more effort.  As you can see form the responses here, many Phantom operators are very concerned about users getting out of control of their birds.  At 500 m, I could not see my birds if it were not for the contrast with the clouds (the white hull becomes a black spot).  In the US, we are limited to within 400 feet of a structure no matter what altitude; and Visual Line of Sight to our bird.  At that extreme, it is full of danger to human flight because there are pilots that regularly violate their own regulations.

Most of the members of this Forum would probably prefer that you strap on a Phantom Hard Shell backpack and hike up a few thousand feet to earn the safety of flight at the altitude you want to work.  Do be aware though, that as the air thins, the flight characteristics of your bird change.  Even Vortex Ring State can return as an effect of certain types of flight even though DJI has designed it out under normal flying circumstances.  Get high in the mountain and out of sight of your bird and then enter VRS.  Well, shall we say, you have just lost your bird.  And you will never hear its screams of despair (no microphone).  

The DJI limitation on altitude is a well thought out policy.  It is reasonable for customer and manufacturer.  Like RedHotPoker said, get a professional grade drone that does not have altitude limits.  If you use a Phantom, you actually threaten us when you fly in extreme conditions and we like flying our birds.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-23
Use props
DroneAlps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2043307 ft
  • >>>
France

Revs Posted at 2016-11-23 17:34
He's only trying to protect the hobby. The fact is that the limit in France is 150m above the take ...

This is not true. The law in France says 150m above the ground (not the take-off point)
2016-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DroneAlps Posted at 2016-11-24 12:23
This is not true. The law in France says 150m above the ground (not the take-off point)

Drone Alps is correct.  No country has a law relating to height above launch point.
It's all about how high you are above the ground below your Phantom.
If you live on a pancake flat prairie, the numbers will be similar but there are plenty of places where the difference is significant
2016-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2016-11-23 15:56
Aloha remi_rl,

Living in or near mountains has its own challenges.  I live next to 2000 feet ...

Cetacean, You lucky man. Living in a near perfect location.  I can only dream about visiting your wonder-filled island.
Thanks for the knowledgable voice here and your constant positive attitude. Refreshing forum member, who brings lots of smiles.
I will bring you some smiles too... When you receive your Lume Cubes, I know you will be completely happy, and likely surprised how well, they are made.

I only Wish that you would post more of your wonderful videos, of paradise!! Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-23
Use props
fansdec58103
lvl.1

United States

remi_rl Posted at 2016-11-23 08:08

When you live ...

Sorry for trying to protect a cool hobby guyblow, obviously all of us would like to fly as high and as far as we could possibly want to bring home the coolest pictures and videos, but unfortunately we're not allowed to and for good reason. You can do it if you want, but your greed could land you in trouble, hurt other people, and as a result get drones banned for everyone. Its obvious that you need to fly over 500 meters sometimes in order to see the top of a mountain or other obstacle where you know you dont have to worry about a plane or helicopter or whatever but I'm referring to flying over 500 meters for the hell of it in the middle of an area where there aren't any tall nearby obstacles. Those are the people that I'm talking about. remi_rl you seem like one of those people who sits behind his computer and takes jabs at people on the internet just cause you hate your life so much that you have nothing better to do. Hopefully thats not the case but thats what you sound like
2016-11-23
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

I saw a video on YouTube a few months ago, and darned if I can't find it now, but the guys in the video utilized an airtight lucite box.
They sealed the phantom in the box, then attached an air pump to a nipple in the cover and pumped out some of the air, creating a vacuum.
They then started the phantom.
When they opened the box, the higher air pressure fooled the barometer into thinking it was well below its takeoff altitude, thus allowing it to go significantly above 500 meters above its actual takeoff point.
2016-11-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Whew...  I finally figured this one out for you.  Once you've torn open your Phantom, just snip that white wire & you're good!

I wanna see

I wanna see
2016-11-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-23 16:41
Cetacean, You lucky man. Living in a near perfect location.  I can only dream about visiting your  ...

Aloha RedHot,

It is really hard to look at the same beauty and figure out how to make a video you have not already made.  It takes a lot of effort to come up with fresh material.  And then there is the misunderstanding that I benefit from while I suffer its consequences.  The Windward side of Oahu, actually of all the islands, have a lot of rain and wind, both hard to fly in.  Then there is the VOG from the Big Island, Volcanic SMOG, that gasses up our atmosphere here on Oahu (200 miles away) like downtown LA.  It looks bad in videos to.  On bad days LA is probably better.  It plugs up your sinuses like you have a cold.

Plus, this Global Warming has really screwed up the weather.  The last two summers were all rain and when there was no rain it was windy.  It used to be nice during the summer!  

So, do you feel sorry for me yet?  I am sure if you are with your friends this winter and told them about your poor suffering friend in Hawai'i, they would throw you out in a snow bank!  See, we cannot even get sympathy.  But, I will say that it is way nicer to thaw out from a 60 degree night than the nights you guys get over there.  I am here because I cannot handle the cold!  But then, when it is beautiful, it can take your breath away (when there is no VOG!).

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Volcanoes putting, wind, rain, smog, yes you're doomed. Haha
I'll take a sulfuric cloud over a deep snow bank, any time in December/January.
You haven't lived until you shovel wet snow from your sidewalk, for a block...
Do I ever feel bad for you? No, not yet. I just keep thinking about that movie Blue Lagoon. Hahaha

The thing I love most about Hawaii, just when getting off the plane, you get layed. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-23 18:47
It helps to be specific. If you want to fly higher than 500m, DJI doesn't allow that.
But some oth ...

Do on the P2V+, can set max altitude to whatever you want from memory...
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Pauldw100 Posted at 2016-11-24 03:28
Do on the P2V+, can set max altitude to whatever you want from memory...

That would be awesome to fly that high, particularly for the folks who need to climb mountains, from the valley of the Jolly Green Giant!! Haha

I took my Phantom 3 Pro' drone up to 300m once and the view was absolutely breath taking. But I don't see many reasons, to fly that high. I live in Alberta on the prairies, so it's relatively flat, for hundreds of kilometers in every direction.  I think that's why I love flying out to greater distances. You can see your drone for miles and miles.
Now with the my Lume Cubes attached, the clear VLOS is "redunkulous". Haha
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-24 18:38
That would be awesome to fly that high, particularly for the folks who need to climb mountains, fr ...

Check this....

Not legal and not clever, but man check out them views !!

2016-11-24
Use props
adrian8891
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pauldw100 Posted at 2016-11-24 12:00
Check this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfA79gb7zMU

Have You seen the wind gusts?! My GOD!! This guy have balls!! Or no brain...
2016-11-24
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-23 05:47
But some oth ...

I knew of that trick as well. Glad to hear that DJI removed that possibility.
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Pauldw100 Posted at 2016-11-24 04:00
Check this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfA79gb7zMU

If you lived in Dubai where some of the tallest skyscrapers are located, you could launch from above the clouds and go up high enough to visit the Angels. Ha

Yeah, I've seen that video before. It's been discussed in great detail. Flying that high, would be a great way to lose your
Phantom too. So unpredictable weather patterns, not to mention how cold and thin the air is at that elevation. Tempting fate isn't something I dare do, with my Phantom, on a regular basis. But it gives you huge bragging rights, when showing it off.
For those who dare to soar with the Blue Angels; Best be careful, sharing those kind of videos on a very public website such as YouTube. They do get scrutinized by the authorities, and  that can make your life miserable, in short order.
The perpetrators who disregard the RC drone laws, could easily find themselves flying paper airplanes inside the Crowbar Hotel excersise yard... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-23 22:25
Whew...  I finally figured this one out for you.  Once you've torn open your Phantom, just snip that ...

Oh crap, I'm colour blind, which one is the right white one? J/K Hahaha

I think I cut the wrong one... Ok, doing a Mr.Bean impression, cutting them all, making sure to get every white one. Chuckles and Guffaws

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

rodger Posted at 2016-11-24 07:11
I knew of that trick as well. Glad to hear that DJI removed that possibility.

There is a good reason for keeping the drones within the laws of the land. Trouble is, they are flown world wide, so they placed a relatively restrictive height allowance, giving us plenty of freedom to explore at higher elevations than most places allow. Leaving us to use our common sense and moral sensibilities.

I know one way to fly at much higher altitudes, than 500m. You need to launch from a higher base station, then you can go very high. Here,  let me grab you an awesome example of one method, that gives you a great starting point.
Be right back... Ok, this is the way to beat the restrictive rules, launch from an incredible elevation.

How do you like that snazzy RC control panel? Snickers
Knock yourself out... Out of this world. Haha

RedHotPoker

2016-11-24
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

adrian8891 Posted at 2016-11-24 21:30
Have You seen the wind gusts?! My GOD!! This guy have balls!! Or no brain...

I'm thinking he def has balls, but not so sure on the brain!

Awesome footage all the same IMO.
2016-11-24
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-25 03:07
If you lived in Dubai where some of the tallest skyscrapers are located, you could launch from abo ...

Yeah i've cut all the wires and now my drone won't power up ...
2016-11-24
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-25 03:22
There is a good reason for keeping the drones within the laws of the land. Trouble is, they are flo ...

That RC panel is the bomb! ...lol

Distance - 30Km ...
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Pauldw100 Posted at 2016-11-24 12:56
Yeah i've cut all the wires and now my drone won't power up ...

Now you have a Rowan Atkinson special. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Pauldw100 Posted at 2016-11-24 12:58
That RC panel is the bomb! ...lol

Distance - 30Km ...

Wouldn't that be a gas, to own a monster multi rotor such as this?  ;-)

When I win the lottery, I might grab one.. Haha

If would be fun, dropping the Phantom, then soaring to unbelievable highs and heights.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-24 09:22
There is a good reason for keeping the drones within the laws of the land. Trouble is, they are flo ...

Aloha RedHot,

This guy with the Stationair needs an assistant.  Yeah, someone needs to pull the grass our of the undercarriage after take-off!  It can get in the way of the sensors and footage, LOL!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It would appear a stray blade of grass to be behind the camera. Not sure that turbo beast needs sensors! Haha

Anyway, he could hire RC heli King Tareq Alsaadi to fly inverted and cut it short. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
fans2ff453ca
New

United Arab Emirates

@redhotpoker, you live in dubai?
2016-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans2ff453ca Posted at 2016-11-24 19:20
@redhotpoker, you live in dubai?

Are you kidding? No, I live in the other land of immense oil riches.

Alberta Canada. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-24
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-24 14:22

Interesting and looks a bit expensive.
The rules in the US are very well thought out and once you understand them they do make a lot of sense. Actually you are allowed to go over the 500 M in a certain circumstance and over the 400' in another circumstance. The allowable over 500 M would never apply to me in my section of the US. Also I am not comfortable when I do not have my Phantom or Inspire within sight.
Getting cool up there in Canada? The cold weather is here in New England. It went from a nice warm fall to winter in one day.
2016-11-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules