Am I missing something?
1183 12 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Just picked up my Mavic fly more combo from a reseller here in Calgary. I ordered October 1st if you're interested.
Now that it's here, I updated the firmware with each battery separately and it all checks out. Do I need to update the aircrafts firmware and/or controller firmware as a separate step? Or only if prompted in the app? Also is there any other settings or pre flight updates I need before the maiden other than what's in the manual? I calibrated the compass but I see a lot of people talking about calibrating gimbals and controllers and imu's? Do I need to do that too? Or is that only if you have an issue?
I appreciate the help. I'm upgrading from a phantom 1!
This is a huge change!
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
2016-11-23
Use props
Lostsucks
lvl.1

United States

The app usually tells you when to update the firmware. With that being said. I got my mavic about 2 weeks ago and out of the box it required a firmware update. I personally would refresh your firmware on the controller and mavic just for the heck of it. Also Recalibrate the IMU and Gimble.
2016-11-23
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

I'd update everything to make sure you have the latest firmware available, then do a compass calibration before your first flight.

2016-11-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You could check the firmware version on "About" page through APP, you will get a notice if a newer firmware is available the APP.
Please make sure you are well-prepared before flight, do calibration, and double check the settings, such as TRH.
Please keep an eye on the APP screen for any messages during the flight.
Enjoy your flight!
2016-11-24
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

I got mine three days ago and all I did was installed the new firmware as it prompted me when entering app and then put each battery in and turned on mavic so it updated battery to new firmware(u have combo like me so do it to all the battery's)
Then went to a huge field and had jandels  undies and a shorts n shirt lol no controller or phone etc...by me and calibrated compass....then away it went :-) enjoy it man
2016-11-24
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

My advice is NOT to calibrate anything unless the app tells you to.

Page 50 of the owners manual says NOT to do a compass calibration unless told to do so and DJI support say IMU calibration NOT required unless you notice strange flight characteristics.

See my thread here

http://forum.dji.com/thread-73312-1-1.html
2016-11-24
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Homerlovesbeer Posted at 2016-11-24 20:22

Page 50 of the owners manual sa ...

Thanks, I was looking for that thread. I thought they said not to do calibrations unless prompted.
I appreciate the help from everyone.  
2016-11-24
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

your post title gave me the impression that there was a missing piece of item in your order...
2016-11-24
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Homerlovesbeer Posted at 2016-11-24 23:22

Page 50 of the owners manual sa ...

Manual Shmanual...
I think you should reprime the craft after a firmware update and after your package has been fedex footballed to your doorstep.

The Mavic is China made and China primed, therefore the IMU is in the wrong climate leading to longer warm up times. The compass would have massive declinations (unless you live in Shenzen).

Indoors:
Recalibrate IMU (let the mavic cool for an hour or so)
Recalibrate GIMBAL

Outdoors in your undies:
Find open grassy field free of metallic structures. Compass dance! You should only ever do a compass dance in a open field.
2016-11-24
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

Why doesn't the manual tell you any of this?
2016-11-24
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2016-11-25 10:17
Manual Shmanual...
I think you should reprime the craft after a firmware update and after your pac ...

LoL compass dance in your undies in the open field...

Sounds like this true blue here https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/ ... n-his-undies/#page1
2016-11-24
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Homerlovesbeer Posted at 2016-11-25 13:51
Why doesn't the manual tell you any of this?

Sometimes its a risk factor.
Sometimes knowledge is power. Sometimes it isn't.
You need to consider how hard it is to write clear instructions for all ages and most nationalities. It can get lost in translation or misinterpreted.

Now in regards to the IMU, the calibration can get messy and most people will not understand and most likely get it wrong. The craft needs to be in state of zen before a calibration is done. Many would careless and continue and ignore all warnings and this can lead to failures etc. DJI prefer to pre-calibrate and hope for the best that the customers will not have to. I think the safer bet was to omit the imu calibration in the manual than to hope that the users get it right. You need to remember, this 'toy' is very technical and is sold to grandmas and grandpas.

2016-11-24
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

cluc Posted at 2016-11-25 14:04
LoL compass dance in your undies in the open field...

Sounds like this true blue here https://au. ...

Strayian Hero!!
2016-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules